TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs Putter - Forum Review

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
TaylorMade has sent out their new Daddy Long Legs putter for another round of THP Forum Testing! Putters are now making their way to the testers, and this thread will be for their long term testing reviews, thoughts and experiences with the latest Putter release from TaylorMade.

Feel free to join in the discussion with questions and share your thoughts as well!

Forum Testers;
golfinFF
v.man
niteowl03
jjmorris

Last edited by a moderator:
I just received confirmation from the wife that a fedex box arrived at the house this morning from CT from Taylormade. I can't wait to get home tonight and throw up some pics and initial thoughts here.

I just received confirmation from the wife that a fedex box arrived at the house this morning from CT from Taylormade. I can't wait to get home tonight and throw up some pics and initial thoughts here.
I will be very intrested in your thoughts i have a DLL coming it will be here today also

I got notification from the wife that my putter had arrived but was out with some friends. I took these pictures at 2am when I got home I was so excited. This putter looks good and feels stable. I looks very similar to the Rossa Monza Spider I gamed for a few months. I opted for the 38" Daddy Long Legs since I was fitted to a 35" putter. I will be gripping down on the putter by three inches or so.

According to Taylormade's site: "The idea is to grip the club as you would a normal-length putter, with two or three inches of the butt-end of the grip extended above your hands, which gives you the maximum benefit of counterbalancing. Thus, if you normally play a 35” putter you should opt for the 38”; if you play a 33” putter should use the 35”; if you play a 34” putter you can experiment with both the 35 and 38” to find which you prefer."

Alignment - The alignment is very simple but effective with a single line, but the design does a great job of framing the ball. "White leading edge and single, simple black alignment line make aiming easy."

Taylormade opted for double bend heel shafted which should help the hands stay in front of the ball. The Pure Roll insert should help the ball roll smooth "PureRoll Surlyn® insert promotes soft-yet solid feel and smooth roll straight off the face"

With a head weight of 395gm and face balanced the head really promotes a stable stroke. "Highest MOI head--over 8500--of any TaylorMade putter ever for tremendous twist-resistance and distance-control on off-center hits"

The grip is about 5" longer than my current SeeMore. I also really like the graphical similarities between the headcover and the grip. "130-gram grip counterbalances head-weight to help you swing the head smoothly and on path. Counter-balanced Daddy Long Legs is 60% more stable based on overall club MOI values than a traditional putter."

I am playing 9 holes tonight and look forward to putting this on the course and getting some more pictures. My putting has been horrific with my SB1 lately especially in relation to speed. I am excited to see if this can remedy some of those problems.

Great pics niteowl! Looking forward to hearing how your 9 hole round goes!

That thing is beautiful niteowl. Can't wait to hear what you think long term.

Looks Great can't wait to get home and get mine

So are the heel weights changeable like other TM mallets?

There are actually no weights in the heel.

Thanks for the pic and the update, from the top it looks like previous TM mallets that had them, very interesting they got rid of those. I always loved using the same tool on my driver that I then used on my putter!

That is a good looking putter the Aaron. Look forward to see how it felt in the course.

Thanks for the pic and the update, from the top it looks like previous TM mallets that had them, very interesting they got rid of those. I always loved using the same tool on my driver that I then used on my putter!

My Rossa Monza Spider had the weights and it was nice that it was the same tool, but I would bet that with the balanced face in combination with the counter weighting that there is no need to move weight around.

I would be interested in hear anyones comment who is or has played the Spider S on how the white top with black line compares to the black top with while line of the Spider S. I grabbed one at the golf shop yesterday and rolled a few putts and thought that my current Spider S with the black top was easier to aline. They didn't have the 38" model that I would need so I can't put to much into how it felt.

I would be interested in hear anyones comment who is or has played the Spider S on how the white top with black line compares to the black top with while line of the Spider S. I grabbed one at the golf shop yesterday and rolled a few putts and thought that my current Spider S with the black top was easier to aline. They didn't have the 38" model that I would need so I can't put to much into how it felt.

Personally I like the design of the white top sitting inside the black on the DLL better as it seems to frame the ball better to my eye. I think this could easily be personal preference.

I am guessing they removed the weights since the weighting system they went with in the shaft/grip made up for it.

I am guessing they removed the weights since the weighting system they went with in the shaft/grip made up for it.
Yeah that makes sense, if you messed with the weight the counterbalance would probably get thrown way off.

I have tried the spider S at my local Dick's and loved it. Felt I was making great contact and easy to aline. I went to a golfsmiths last week and they had the daddy long legs, if I was going to buy one it would be the long legs. The grip is MUCH longer and the weight seems perfect to me. I was hitting some real long putts and seemed to be really consistant with distance. Im not sure what the exact size is compared to the spider S but to me the LLs seemed HUGE and hard to miss the center. My only complaint (other than name) is that the bottom seems made of real cheap plastic, unlike the spider 2 which seemed much nicer.. But really how often do you look at that?

I have tried the spider S at my local Dick's and loved it. Felt I was making great contact and easy to aline. I went to a golfsmiths last week and they had the daddy long legs, if I was going to buy one it would be the long legs. The grip is MUCH longer and the weight seems perfect to me. I was hitting some real long putts and seemed to be really consistant with distance. Im not sure what the exact size is compared to the spider S but to me the LLs seemed HUGE and hard to miss the center. My only complaint (other than name) is that the bottom seems made of real cheap plastic, unlike the spider 2 which seemed much nicer.. But really how often do you look at that?

I would guess that the plastic on the bottom is to reduce weight so it can be put somewhere else

I just showed up at Edwin Watts to meet up with my buddy before the round tonight and gave this a quick test. 5 out of 7 from 10ft first time rolling it... this thing seems

A few more pics:

ysy4u7ub.jpg

e4ypugej.jpg

Great writeup and pics, niteowl. I rolled the DDL for a bit at the store and really liked the stability, especially at 38". It seems like it would be a big help for me on short to mid length, as far as helping me get a consistent stroke going. It seems like it really helps me to putt exactly where I am aiming. This thread is definitely one I'll be following. Can't wait to hear how it works out for you guys.

One more pic just for fun!

ju7yqura.jpg

Thank You again to THP and Taylormade for this great testing opportunity.

I chose the 38" since my gamer is roughly 37 and with the DLL being designed to be choked down on, I did not want to have a too short of putter. I have always played my ping and only briefly tested some mallets.

My wife texted me this morning saying that a box had arrived from Taylormade, which got me all happy and I couldn't wait to get home and unbox it get some time in with it.

I decided to just go play 18 at my local track which I hadn't played yet this yr. I got to the course with the intention of hitting the practice green then going out and playing. The course was slow, so when one guy showed up to go out I asked if he would like to play together. Off we went with no practice time for me.

I struggled the first few holes leaving putts quite a bit short as the greens were quite fuzzy and slow. Then for a few holes I was long by two to three ft as I tried to adjust to the speed of the greens. By the time we made the turn I had the greens and putter pretty well figured out.

The wind was ridiculous on the back and just finding the green as often as I did was a miracle. Attacking pins was not an option I had several approaches that the wind blew 15 yards offline. I was 2 putting everything and was making lags from 20ft to almost 40+ footers to with in 3-4ft with some crazy breaks on some of them. I only had one or two at 5ft or longer and those were crazy breaks up hill and into the wind. Anything under 20ft seemed to be getting with in a 2ft circle.

Sound

The ball seemed to come off the insert hot but because of the greens being so fuzzy they didn't seem to roll as far as I would have thought. The Insert makes a nice dull sound when struck center. When hit off the toe it sounds dead like you will come up way short but that didn't seem to be the case.

Distance control

Once I figured out how the greens were rolling I was very happy with how well I was able to control the distance. On off center hits the distance was still good, just a little offline and maybe a touch short, both of which are totally expected.

Looks

Looking down on this is going to take some time to get used to for me since I have never gamed anything of this size. I do like the way the ball is framed, when set up in front of DLL. The white is not distracting and really stands out against the green and the black almost disappears. The grip really sets this club apart when its on the rack.

Feel

The putter head feels lite which I did not expect, yet feels heavy enough to make those long lag putts with out having to smack the ball. The grip is soft on the outside yet firm and really feels comfortable.

When putting I place my left thumb on the spiders body, which seems like a great spot for getting a consistent grip. I will play with different hand positions later but for now this seems to be working well. I am still working on ball position to get my swing right.

I am leaving out the pics sinc Nite did such an amazing job! I only have the one below to add.
Ball at adress on the practice green after my round.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367631341.075328.jpg

After the round I spent 20-30mins on the putting green just getting a little more acquainted with it. The putting green was just as slow as the rest of the greens and was showing the aeration holes worse that I did not see on the course. My time on the putting green just gave me time to get some better feedback.

I did allow my playing partner to roll it and he did really well with it and commented on how good it felt, the ease to put with it. He did use it as a short belly putter a couple time wich was funny yet worked really well.

Last edited:
A friend of mine was interested in this, so I'm gonna fill him in. Thanks.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Back