barefoot at the golf course?

I guess it depends if reasons behind it. if just trying to piss people off or be stupid and disrespectful then put something on your feet but just maybe they like it and feel they play better barefoot. If thats the case it wouldnt bother me at all. Its like bare foot punters in football. To each his own. My dad has some issues and cannot where many shoes. Golfs in sandles and even wares sandles in the winter. Sad actualy but it is what it is.

The reason we did it at the goat ranch golf course is because we start golfing about 6 am, when the sun was just coming up. Around 4 pm, when you've been golfing for about 10 hours and played around 70 holes, your feet tend to get a bit tired, so a break from the golf shoes feels great.

However, that's the's only place and the only reason I've ever done it.

It's up to the course, I guess. Doesn't bother me either way. I could see doing it a few decades ago, but I've lost the leatherlike, walk on a gravel driveway without discomfort calluses I used to have as a lad.
That, and stepping in goose crap would just gross me out.

I played with a guy that did this a couple years ago. No matter to me, though I have no interest in doing the same.

I can't do it myself, but have no problem if someone else wants to do it.

I play barefoot all the time when I'm by myself. Almost every time actually. So much better to work on balance when there is nothing supporting you underneath. And its comfortable for me too.

THPing on Tapatalk

I wouldn't go barefoot, but I have a pair of Footjoy Greenjoy sandals that I absolutely love. Most comfy golf shoes I have ever worn, but I do wear old man low socks with them so it is a little goofy looking. I don't want to chance a sunburn on my feet!

I ended up playing barefoot at my Country Club one round. We were playing a scramble, but each person only got 2 balls for the round. So when my wife hit her ball in the water (creek) on the 2nd hole, I took my shoes off and went in and got the ball. I left my shoes off after that because they were wet and ended up playing the rest of the round barefoot. The guy with me ended up doing the same thing after he had to go after his wife's ball in the water two holes later.

It was actually quite nice to play that way and if weren't for the many snobs in golf, I would do it more often.

The responses in this thread totally took me by surprise. With all the talk about proper attire on the course, I would have thought 99% would be of the opinion that it would be a total no-no. So it's OK to golf barefoot, but not to wear jeans, cargo shorts or a sleeveless shirt? I don't think I'll ever understand any of this.:confused2:

The responses in this thread totally took me by surprise. With all the talk about proper attire on the course, I would have thought 99% would be of the opinion that it would be a total no-no. So it's OK to golf barefoot, but not to wear jeans, cargo shorts or a sleeveless shirt? I don't think I'll ever understand any of this.:confused2:

If it's not against the course dress code, they can do whatever they want. That is what I have always said and stand behind.

I think it looks ridiculous to golf barefoot, but if it's not against the dress code, they can do whatever they want.

If it's not against the course dress code, they can do whatever they want. That is what I have always said and stand behind.

I think it looks ridiculous to golf barefoot, but if it's not against the dress code, they can do whatever they want.

Yeah, like it wouldn't bother you to be looking at someone's bare feet all day. That would probably scar you for life.:alien:

A buddy does it, I've done it.

Not my thing, but it's different.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

I will admit that my best round of golf on my college golf team was a day I left my golf shoes in my dorm. Shot a smooth little 66 making a raymond floyd like follow through. It is a great to hit range balls bare foot when you are struggling with balance

I have done it on the course before, but mainly because my feet were aching badly, and the cool grass helped ease it a bit.

Would never do it on the practice range/greens. Who knows how much chemical or other substance is all over the grass.

I'd have given you double thanks if I could. Great observation. It was in the back of my mind, but I never quite got it put into words.

I live barefoot, in flip-flops or sandals almost 100% of the time here, and did the same all summer when I lived in Colorado. I had Footjoy golf sandals, but any time I mentioned it in one of the golf attire threads, I was usually castigated for it, yet now most of the responders have no issue with barefooting it. Talk about an inconsistent sense of propriety. :eyepoke:

Barefoot in soft, cool grass feels wonderful, but unfortunately golf balls don't always find those places. If you want to have a really painful adventure, try walking into a patch of sand burrs barefoot sometime (or a nearly invisible emergent prickly pear cactus). That'll cure you. I take care out in the native areas even in my sandals.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's been said as I skimmed, but some say playing barefoot helps them swing. More natural or something like that. The only reason I'd be put off by it is that walking around on a green barefoot can be hard on softer greens.

~Rock

The vast majority of dress codes I've ever seen only prohibit metal spiked. Only once have I seen shoes required in that it required closed toed shoes made of leather (they had a very stringent dress code).

THPing on Tapatalk

I don't even walk barefoot in the backyard in case I missed one of the dog bombs. I sure as hell wouldn't on a golf course. I just can't imagine walking around in a chemical field in bare feet.

No one wants to see me walk around barefoot. My foot tan would blind some people. I do enjoy a nice barefoot walk though, just not on the course.

The only time I've seen a guy play barefoot was on the Hank Haney program with Rush a few seasons ago. They were playing on the Bis Island, and one of the foursome was wearing flip flops or barefoot.

Phelps was playing barefoot at times, mostly during practice though.

I had no idea this was such a widespread phenomenon.

A few years back I used to play with this relator that played in his bare feet... More importantly he liked to bet... And even more important, he was a terrible golfer. I never said a single word. I easily paid for a new driver playing with him.

I've always been one of those people who thinks that if you aren't breaking any rules or hurting anything, I don't really care. I don't think people need to be strapped into other's points of view on how they enjoy their life.

So if there is no rules against golfing barefoot, wearing jeans, cargo shorts or sleeveless shirts, who am I to tell anybody different?

I've done it a few times. First time was when I forgot my golf shoes. I actually really like it, definitely helps me work on my tempo and staying balanced through the swing. Not sure I'd ever play a competative round without spikes though, I really like to swing hard haha.

I've never done it, but as others have said, I have heard of it as good practice for balance issues.

I'd be afraid of getting a broken tee stuck in my foot on a tee box. Ouch.....!

Back