The Electronics Help Thread

Oregon Jack

Let's real 'er back in.
Reaction score
Handicap
8ish?
I couldn't find another thread of this sort, so i'm sorry if there is one.
basically, you can come into this thread and post whatever technological problems you're having, and ask for whatever help you need.

as for me, i'm starting my Access projects in school. how the heck do you even make this program work.. i am doing query's. i don't have a clue what i'm doing, and the teacher won't help us. there's instructions in the book, but they are far from helping.

Queries are pretty simple in access since you don't have to write them yourself.

All a query is doing is pollng a table for whatever information you want to get from it. They can be extremely simple or extremely complex. For example, you may just want a list of names and phone numbers from a table that holds a large amount personal info about your customers.

Queries are pretty simple in access since you don't have to write them yourself.

All a query is doing is pollng a table for whatever information you want to get from it. They can be extremely simple or extremely complex. For example, you may just want a list of names and phone numbers from a table that holds a large amount personal info about your customers.
Yeah but every time i enter data into a table, then open another table, when i open the original table all of the data is gone.

Are you saving it?

Jack - start by gaining a basic understanding of the underlying data structure/schema. This provides the context for whatever you are trying to accomplish with your queery. As Hawk said, the queery is just going to one or more tables to retrieve some type of information. If I remember correctly, Access provides tools which automate the queery building process. So it is a two step process: 1) understand the data structure; 2) learn how to construct queries to retrieve what you are looking for.

Remember, the basic query structure from most relational databases is fundamentally "Select (something) from (location / table) where (variable condition)." As an example, Select 'irons' from 'clubs' (hypothetical table name) where manufacturer (a key on the 'clubs' table) is like taylormade. The search should produce all irons made by TM listed in the Clubs table.

It can be confusing at first but once you get the basics down it is pretty straight forward.

That's odd. Are they both named objects in the table pane on the left?

If you are doing a query the data should already be there.

If you are trying to add data to the tables you are peforming a different function, most likely an Insert.

Copied from my yahoo answer q. Basically can't get the /forceit command to work. Help.

Let me preface this by saying I know very little about computers in general. A long time ago my battery stopped charging. Plugged in, not charging. I replaced the battery, replaced the charger with a knock-off, replaced it with a 90w dell charger still wouldn't work. Next I tried resetting the AC adapter by touching that little needle thing to the outside of the connector. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the ACPI-Complaint Control battery thing. Nothing seems to work. So now I'm trying to update my BIOS but it won't let me do that as my battery is below 10%. I read that i can get around this by using the command /forceit and the end of the command (yes i included the space). It launches the .EXE but then says command not recognized after telling me to close all the programs cause it's going to flash. I figured it's the forceit command not working as it runs the .EXE fine with out it until it tells me I need more than 10% battery. I have no idea what to do or try. Thanks

Thanks guys!

Help :(

Sorry man, I've got nothing. I read that and my thought was to take the computer into a shop and get the recharge issue fixed rather than deal with the other stuff.

Back