Is Golf Exercise?

If the idea of just burning calories constitutes some form of exercise, then sleeping, and breathing are exercise. Walking of course is great exercise. Problem is too many people don't figure this out till it's too late for their bodies. It's an after thought, usually relayed to the individual by their M.D., or D.O. You still get upper torso exercise if you ride a cart. Swinging anything 50+ times in a 4 hour period is exercise for the waist on up. I always wonder why some of these pro golfers who walk 16+ miles a week allow themselves to develop larger bellies.

Take care of your legs folks. :clapp:

For most overweight people in this society of ours just burning calories is better than doing nothing, and no sleeping and eating are not the same. Yes people burn calories just staying alive, yes you burn 95% of the calories you will burn in your lifetime just metabolizing and maintaining your body temperature. If you increase the number of calories burned by even a small fraction over what you burn at rest by walking the golf course you will be far healthier than if you ride a cart playing golf and do nothing else.

we rarely use karts in ireland, so most walk. i personally carry my bag, and sometimes can be knackered after a round, especially if its hilly. I hope to god im losing a few calories for the effort :D

we rarely use karts in ireland, so most walk. i personally carry my bag, and sometimes can be knackered after a round, especially if its hilly. I hope to god im losing a few calories for the effort :D

I walk probably 90% of the time and always carry the bag, hate push/pull carts and play better walking than I do when I ride. I only ride when forced to and always try not to have to drive the thing.

I've decided that as long as I walk - I'm getting exercise.

Walking....YES. Ridding....I would say not. Unless you are like me and play on cart path only days and always hit to the opposite side of the cart path. That makes for some great exercise.

I've decided that as long as I walk - I'm getting exercise.

Me, too. I notice that during the winter months when I can easily walk, I lose some of my spare tire, but during the summer it comes back.

If you walk in a straight line and the next tee box is directly beside the last green, you still walk about 4 miles per 18. If you add in all the odd places I have to walk to find my ball, I probably make it closer to 6 miles per round.

Here's the definition of exercise;

"the activity of exerting your muscles in various ways to keep fit."

I guess it depends on your perspective, one way to interpret this definition is to say that behind the activity must be the intent to "keep fit." :)

If you play golf for the pure enjoyment of the sport than no, it's not exercise, your intent to have fun and enjoy the round. Burning calories is an added benefit and if you prefer to walk than you're going to burn more calories than those who prefer to ride.

If you walk a course, you're likely to walk between three to five miles and if you factor in elevation changes, you'll be working several muscles in the process. Walking is important because it promotes weight loss and a healthier heart. If you walk and carry your clubs, your adding additional weight and resistance.

Swinging a golf club 70+ times can help tone the arms, shoulders and back and can improve flexibility. It's also great for hand-eye coordination and balance, and also, great hand-eye coordination and balance can be great for your golf game :)

As for my initial statement, I don't enjoy exercise and I love golf, therefore IMO golf cannot be exercise.. :)

I believe it is excerise if it gets people up and moving. To answer that I want to know what you would be doing if not golfing. It does keep me busy.

From the October 2009 issue of Golf Digest:

7cadb2fe.jpg

I like the gender [sic] gap part on the bottom right.

I like the gender [sic] gap part on the bottom right.

Okay, it's time to get past this.

gender - Definition of gender noun (SEX) from Cambridge Dictionary Online: Free English Dictionary and Thesaurus
gender noun (SEX)
/ˈdʒen.dər /US pronunciation symbol/-dɚ/ n

formal the physical and/or social condition of being male or female
Does this test show the gender of the baby?
Discrimination on the basis of race, gender, age or disability is not allowed.

[C + singular or plural verb] formal all males, or all females, considered as one group
I think both genders are capable of looking after children.
gender - definition of gender by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
gen·der (jndr)
n.

[ . . . ]

2. Sexual identity, especially in relation to society or culture.
a. The condition of being female or male; sex.
b. Females or males considered as a group: expressions used by one gender.
gender - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
gen·der
Pronunciation: \ˈjen-dər\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English gendre, from Anglo-French genre, gendre, from Latin gener-, genus birth, race, kind, gender — more at kin
Date: 14th century

[ . . . ]

2 a : sex <the feminine gender> b : the behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one sex
Gender Definition | Definition of Gender at Dictionary.com
gen⋅der
1  /ˈdʒɛndər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [jen-der] Show IPA
Use gender in a Sentence
See web results for gender
See images of gender
–noun

[ . . . ]

2. sex: the feminine gender.
3. Archaic. kind, sort, or class.

Pfffft.

One advantage in lowering yardage while walking is that I very seldom ever have to backtrack to find a ball. I know the line on which I hit the shot and I just stay on that line until I trip over the ball. In a cart, almost everyone overestimates how far they hit it and they have to backtrack 20 or 30 yards to actually find the ball.

How is playing from the forward tee's any shorter as far as walking compared to playing the back tee's??? Typically one would have to walk past the back tee's to get to the forward tee's so the distance would be the same.

How is playing from the forward tee's any shorter as far as walking compared to playing the back tee's??? Typically one would have to walk past the back tee's to get to the forward tee's so the distance would be the same.

Good question. I wish I had an answer, but I am not that smart.:D

Nah--the point is that the guys are more likely to hit their balls into the woods, into the next fairway over, anyplace but the fairway of the hole they're playing. So they do more side-to-side walking. Women just walk forward. :angel:

Nah--the point is that the guys are more likely to hit their balls into the woods, into the next fairway over, anyplace but the fairway of the hole they're playing. So they do more side-to-side walking. Women just walk forward. :angel:

You need to play with the women we play with. We believe in the equal opportunity shooting gallery

So, why doesn't that principle extend to shopping at the Mall? :D

I think that when you walk and when you ride you get excercise, but I bellieve that when you walk you get more excercise than when you ride. If you ride, you still get excercise because you excert energy when you swing the club. I walk 9 or more holes every day, though so I don't get tired either way.

I think that when you walk and when you ride you get excercise, but I bellieve that when you walk you get more excercise than when you ride. If you ride, you still get excercise because you excert energy when you swing the club. I walk 9 or more holes every day, though so I don't get tired either way.

I;m with that. Walking is more than riding. I'm thinking the speed at which you walk has something to do with it too. Like walking fast as compared to slow. Running to the ball would be even more exercise. I'm thinking that skipping to the ball would fall somewhere between fast walking and running but look way cooler.

I;m with that. Walking is more than riding. I'm thinking the speed at which you walk has something to do with it too. Like walking fast as compared to slow. Running to the ball would be even more exercise. I'm thinking that skipping to the ball would fall somewhere between fast walking and running but look way cooler.

If you really want to get some exercise, try speed golf. They time you for the total round and add your strokes to your time. Lowest gross number wins. JP would like this since he is all about faster play.... LOL.

If you really want to get some exercise, try speed golf. They time you for the total round and add your strokes to your time. Lowest gross number wins. JP would like this since he is all about faster play.... LOL.

Oops - you mean JB. C-Tech - you win for fastest typing.

No, I honestly mean JP. He likes to take his time, so I was being sarcastic. JB really would like it.

I just want to see Don skipping down the fairway, bag over his shoulder and clubs spilling out behind him.

No, I honestly mean JP. He likes to take his time, so I was being sarcastic. JB really would like it.

Silly me - You're never sarcastic. What was I thinking?

Back