What club do you chip with around the green?

In fairway with clear path to hole, 7-iron as I find it best matches my putter distance with putter-like strokes.

If rough, 50 or 56 wedge depending on distance, amount of green to work with.

Last edited:
I'm still a fan of the 56* wedge and the bounce-bounce-stop shot.

I also appreciate the 8-iron with a putting stroke.

it just depends on how much space I have from the ball to the front edge of the green & then how much space I'd need to roll it after it lands. I almost always use a 9 iron for bump n run shots

56* if it's a tight lie, thick rough, or if I need to fly a bunker. I rarely use it when I want some roll.

On the other hand, I'm all about using my 9i and a putter stroke when I'm just off and want some good roll. Using that one club for chutting has helped my shave a few strokes off because I always know how far it'll roll depending on how far I take it back. Tried using my 9, 8 and 7 depending on the lie but I just got inconsistent.

I use anything from 7i-60°. I've been trying to get away from just hitting my Vokeys and after a few weeks working at it, it has begun to pay dividends. In last nights round I was using my 8i/9i to great effect and eliminating some of the hazards of using the blade wedges. I suggest everyone open up their options on chipping!

Amen brother. I use the same chipping stroke (much like a putt) and just change loft based on how much roll I need. Much simpler than trying to change the length of my backswing.

i have the best luck with my 45 degree pictching wedge, like putting, i belive feel has alot to do with the shot making for the short game

Tried using a bunch of different clubs for chipping yesterday. Found out it's a lot harder than it looks to get the distances down.

Tried using a bunch of different clubs for chipping yesterday. Found out it's a lot harder than it looks to get the distances down.

When using lower-lofted clubs, what can trip people up is trying to use the same momentum needed for a wedge. You're so used to carrying the ball almost all the way to the hole with a wedge, you blow it by when using a lower-lofted club because you're still trying to hit it to the hole. What you have to do is focus on the momentum needed to carry to the spot on which you want to land it. With a 7-iron, that's typically just over the fringe. So, it may be very little momentum to get it just on the green, but it will run out forever.

It depends on my lie and how much green I have.

When using lower-lofted clubs, what can trip people up is trying to use the same momentum needed for a wedge. You're so used to carrying the ball almost all the way to the hole with a wedge, you blow it by when using a lower-lofted club because you're still trying to hit it to the hole. What you have to do is focus on the momentum needed to carry to the spot on which you want to land it. With a 7-iron, that's typically just over the fringe. So, it may be very little momentum to get it just on the green, but it will run out forever.

You're spot on with that (That was for the UK members). I'm trying to teach myself to ignore the flagstick once I've selected my club and aim for the same spot on the green every time. Once I can hit that spot consistently, then I'll be able to refine my club selection and learn how far each one rolls out.

I always bring my 54 and 58 to the green when I am faced with a chip. If I have a lot of green to work or an up hill greenside lie then I'll probably go with the 54. If it's a short chip, then the 58. Those types of decisions are made easier when you spend a lot of time practicing both and building confidence with different shot types. You can save a ton of strokes if you can chip to one-putt distance instead of 2-putt distance.

Lately, 60*

I want to practice bump and run a bit more though might find a way to incorporate that

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

Depends on the shot - anything from about 7i/8i though 56* wedge

Right now 52 and 60 depending on how delicate the shot is. If I am further out I will use a PW.

At the moment, only the 52°. I've previously used P or SW for a while each.
I duffed and chunked so many chips when i played rounds, i'm really happy for stability and consistent shape for the shot.

That said, i use stronger lofted clubs for pitching within 50yds occasionally. When i'm not sure about the length or lie, working with a low shot to bump and run onto the green seems easier to me.

Mostly use my 60* and sometimes my 56* if its thick grass, the extra bounce helps.

anything between my 7 iron and the 60 degree wedge. depends on the lie and the distance to the green and the pin position.

I've been using a lot my PW lately. Seems to be a safe bet for me, unless there's a hazard between the ball and the green, or the pin is in a tight position.

I've been using a lot my PW lately. Seems to be a safe bet for me, unless there's a hazard between the ball and the green, or the pin is in a tight position.

I use a PW as well. I feel like I have pretty good control with it.

I use my 54* most often. I'm very comfortable hitting a variety of shots with it.

Lately I use my PW for all my chipping and I'm getting good results. I thinki my confidence has a lot to do with it but why mess with success?

51 Approach wedge for everything within 100 yards lately unless I have to carry over something or have very little room to stop the ball. I just have much more confidence in not hitting it fat compared to my 56 sand wedge.

Go to is a 52 degree but I'm always switching around depending on green.

The only I have are a PW, AW, and 60-degree. I just bought my 60-degree recently so I've mostly been playing with that around the green, trying to get a feel for it. Some days it fails me, some days it works.

Depends on the lie and the type of shot I'm trying to hit. I carry PW, AW, 56*, and 60* wedges.

Back