Oh Sergio - Once Again, You May Have Crossed The Line

I'm from the south, love it down here. Absolutely love the food too. I'm as white as the undriven snow (when I haven't been out playing golf), and I absolutely love fried chicken. All the other so-called "soul foods" too. I grew up and went to school in, as they might say, more urban schools. Racial views are only hurtful if people let them be. If you take it as someone being ignorant as they are, then it doesn't bother you. And although it seems (at least in the media's eyes) that stereotypes only go one way, let me be clear that that is most certainly not the case. Some of my absolute best friends are black, and I've talked with them about this sort of stupidity. A lot of times, it's just people wanting something to whine about. Just let it go. It's like your mom always told you about the school bully, they only say and do the things they do to get a rise out of you, ignore it, and they'll leave you alone, same thing with racist comments.

Also living in the south, and having been to the most southern types of places you can think of, some of the people down here (outside of the big cities and towns) are as interracial as can be. Old black and white men are notorious for sitting around mechanics shops or the small town diner and letting the jokes (sometimes racial) fly back and forth, and nobody gets offended, because it's just a way to poke humor at friends.

This African-American that they interviewed on Golf Central and Morning Drive really makes me mad. Calling Sergio a racist and calling for suspension?? Come on.

I'm honestly starting to feel bad for Sergio now. I know how it feels to be one against many, and it's never good. I don't think he meant it the way people are taking it. I think it was meant as a joke, but a bad one at that.

As Rory said, it's more of making this a mountain out of a molehill. I want Tiger and Sergio to just call and make up so that nobody goes around getting called a racist. It's unnecessary and stupid.

It strikes me as a really lame and desperate attempt to take a shot at Tiger because he is under Sergio's skin, as opposed to some deep-seated racism towards African Americans within Sergio. I can't know that for sure though.

It's not racist, it's racial profiling. Not much better, but not criminal. Sergio should know better!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I doubt if Sergio even knows that Tiger is mostly of Asian ancestry. He is as much Native American and Dutch(1/8 each) as he is African American. Makes Sergio's comments seem all the more foolish and insensitive!

I'm from the south, love it down here. Absolutely love the food too. I'm as white as the undriven snow (when I haven't been out playing golf), and I absolutely love fried chicken. All the other so-called "soul foods" too. I grew up and went to school in, as they might say, more urban schools. Racial views are only hurtful if people let them be. If you take it as someone being ignorant as they are, then it doesn't bother you. And although it seems (at least in the media's eyes) that stereotypes only go one way, let me be clear that that is most certainly not the case. Some of my absolute best friends are black, and I've talked with them about this sort of stupidity. A lot of times, it's just people wanting something to whine about. Just let it go. It's like your mom always told you about the school bully, they only say and do the things they do to get a rise out of you, ignore it, and they'll leave you alone, same thing with racist comments.

Also living in the south, and having been to the most southern types of places you can think of, some of the people down here (outside of the big cities and towns) are as interracial as can be. Old black and white men are notorious for sitting around mechanics shops or the small town diner and letting the jokes (sometimes racial) fly back and forth, and nobody gets offended, because it's just a way to poke humor at friends.

Tiger and Sergio are NOT friends, though. It's not friendly banter when you aren't friendly with one another. I am not saying the whole world should be up in arms over Sergio's comments, but they were clearly inappropriate.

If Tiger was German and Sergio had said he'd serve schnitzel and sauerkraut, would that have been bad?

If Tiger was German and Sergio had said he'd serve schnitzel and sauerkraut, would that have been bad?

The obvious difference is that that would be referencing nationality, not race.

that argument doesnt hold water IMO because Americans are a mish mash of all different nationalities. Whats considered American food? Pizza, hamburgers, and chicken.

Dont forget, Tiger's infamous GQ article talking in the limo about how hes glad he is black because his endowment will help him get chicks. Cant have it both ways.

If he had been talking about Rory and said he would serve cornbeef and cabbage would there be any controversy?

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

that argument doesnt hold water IMO because Americans are a mish mash of all different nationalities. Whats considered American food? Pizza, hamburgers, and chicken.

Dont forget, Tiger's infamous GQ article talking in the limo about how hes glad he is black because his endowment will help him get chicks. Cant have it both ways.

I was only pointing out that there's a difference between nationality and race.

Ready for a super hippy post?

There is a difference between skin color and nationality. All humans are the same race. To judge a person based on color, nationality or any other superficial distinction is wrong.

My bad, wasnt necessarily directing my comment at you specifically, just quoted the most recent post. I am on the line with JackF, no controversy if he wouldve invited Rory over for cabbage, Weir over for some bacon and maple syrup, or the Molinaris over for some pasta. Its just our American media knowing that the race card = ratings and tiger = ratings. Its overplayed and I cant wait until we can get past it as a country.

My bad, wasnt necessarily directing my comment at you specifically, just quoted the most recent post. I am on the line with JackF, no controversy if he wouldve invited Rory over for cabbage, Weir over for some bacon and maple syrup, or the Molinaris over for some pasta. Its just our American media knowing that the race card = ratings and tiger = ratings. Its overplayed and I cant wait until we can get past it as a country.

I agree. Unfortunately, whether it's right or wrong, the fried chicken joke is a known entity and has been for a long time.

I don't think it has anything to do with the media playing the race card. I don't think that Steve Sands was actively trying to get Sergio to say he'd serve fried chicken. Sergio didn't have to say he'd serve any type of food, that wasn't even part of the question.

I really don't think it's as big of a deal as some media outlets are making it out to be, I mean at one point yesterday over 2/3 of the articles on the golf channel website was about this subject. But as you said, anything involving Tiger is going to be news, and the fact that these two had that spat at The Players only adds fuel to the fire.

This was a pretty bad slip up by Sergio and his intentions unfortunately don't really matter. He said it, it's out there, and he'll have to deal with the consequences.

Hmmm, since fried chicken is a basic American food that most of us love, then how do we even know Sergio was referencing race and not nationality? I know that he was probably making a racial joke, but I can't be 100% sure of it, so I really can't condemn him for it. Look how many times arguements have started between friends on here just because someone took a statement the wrong way. Maybe Sergio needed an alien smiley.:alien:

Hmmm, since fried chicken is a basic American food that most of us love, then how do we even know Sergio was referencing race and not nationality? I know that he was probably making a racial joke, but I can't be 100% sure of it, so I really can't condemn him for it. Look how many times arguements have started between friends on here just because someone took a statement the wrong way. Maybe Sergio needed an alien smiley.:alien:

Not sure if serious.

Adults are the ones that make this comment racist. My 7 year old son said "I love fried chicken.", when he heard the talk show chatting about this on the radio. Dig deep and think about it. It is 2 words and adults are making an issue over this. I don't know about you, but I am from the South and I love fried chicken. Throw in some collards, corn bread, and mac n cheese and we have a meal of the South better known as comfort food. Yet, Sergio says this and is considered a racist. Sergio said nothing wrong. It is the way Adults think in society and what the media has made of it that make a comment like "Fried Chicken" racist. I see people as people. Doesn't matter to me if you are white, black, green, homosexual, fat, short, tall. People are people. Why do I have to worry about what words I say when I talk without offending someone? Children learn stereotypes from adults. As long as the children keep learning stereotypes there will always be racism. It is 2013 and time to let crap like this go.

Adults are the ones that make this comment racist. My 7 year old son said "I love fried chicken.", when he heard the talk show chatting about this on the radio. Dig deep and think about it. It is 2 words and adults are making an issue over this. I don't know about you, but I am from the South and I love fried chicken. Throw in some collards, corn bread, and mac n cheese and we have a meal of the South better known as comfort food. Yet, Sergio says this and is considered a racist. Sergio said nothing wrong. It is the way Adults think in society and what the media has made of it that make a comment like "Fried Chicken" racist. I see people as people. Doesn't matter to me if you are white, black, green, homosexual, fat, short, tall. People are people. Why do I have to worry about what words I say when I talk without offending someone? Children learn stereotypes from adults. As long as the children keep learning stereotypes there will always be racism. It is 2013 and time to let crap like this go.

I must respectfully disagree with the emboldened portion of your statement above. He did say something wrong. Using your own logic above to understand what is perceived as "racist" in our culture and why, he learned from this same culture and he knew what he was saying as wrong. If I say something and I know I am not wrong I will stand by my statements, I won't hold an immediate press conference to apologize. He know's he was wrong. What is on trial here is not whether or not the man is a racist, a bigot or whatever. It's whether or not his actions warrant severe consequences.

I must respectfully disagree with the emboldened portion of your statement above. He did say something wrong. Using your own logic above to understand what is perceived as "racist" in our culture and why, he learned from this same culture and he knew what he was saying as wrong. If I say something and I know I am not wrong I will stand by my statements, I won't hold an immediate press conference to apologize. He know's he was wrong. What is on trial here is not whether or not the man is a racist, a bigot or whatever. It's whether or not his actions warrant severe consequences.

I disagree with you. It's the things that you are saying that is making it an issue. Why does he have to be on trial? He gave an off the cuff answer to an off the cuff question.

Why is saying fried chicken racist? Give me an explanation behind besides "It is a stereotype." You are saying that he knows it is wrong. I am 43 and have lived in the South my entire life. I don't know that saying Fried Chicken is wrong. I only know the stereotype that others tell me it is wrong. I am not going to let others dictate what I say or how I think. I am my own man and aren't going to follow others lead.

This entire debate is stupid. Why did Sergio say what he said? It was the first thing to pop to his mind maybe? He loves fried chicken? But because he is then told it has racially insensitive he has to have a press conference and apologize. This entire event isn't even news worthy.

I disagree with you. It's the things that you are saying that is making it an issue. Why does he have to be on trial? He gave an off the cuff answer to an off the cuff question.

Why is saying fried chicken racist? Give me an explanation behind besides "It is a stereotype." You are saying that he knows it is wrong. I am 43 and have lived in the South my entire life. I don't know that saying Fried Chicken is wrong. I only know the stereotype that others tell me it is wrong. I am not going to let others dictate what I say or how I think. I am my own man and aren't going to follow others lead.

This entire debate is stupid. Why did Sergio say what he said? It was the first thing to pop to his mind maybe? He loves fried chicken? But because he is then told it has racially insensitive he has to have a press conference and apologize. This entire event isn't even news worthy.

Here's the thing. He was speaking to Tiger more than anything, if Tiger thought it was a racially motivated comment, then it is. If Sergio wasn't trying to add racial undertones, he would have said that.

The problem for me, as one of the whitest white guys around, I find it shaky ground for me to say what is or isn't racist.

Here's the thing. He was speaking to Tiger more than anything, if Tiger thought it was a racially motivated comment, then it is. If Sergio wasn't trying to add racial undertones, he would have said that.

The problem for me, as one of the whitest white guys around, I find it shaky ground for me to say what is or isn't racist.

I agree with you on that one.
I'm the Whitest Brown guy around so I'll leave this one alone too.

I agree with you on that one.
I'm the Whitest Brown guy around so I'll leave this one alone too.

I hop you were being humorous. Because I laughed.

I was :) lol

Off color was the way they were described. It was funny stuff, right. He thought so and let us know about it.

I thought it was funny too, but he wasn't labeled a racist or misogynist. Have we come too far PC since 1997?

Comment from a U.S. American of English descent, fried chicken lover.

Back