TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs Putter - Forum Review

Went to the shop to see this again today. I need to get some cash. Putting killed me tonight and I couldn't stop thinking about the DLL each missed putt.

Ok I played on the 13th and shot a PB of 79, I would love to say it was all due to this putter, but I really was just firing on all cylinders!! I have played this course a few times recently and wasnt expecting the greens to be in near perfect condition so they were running faster than I was used to. My miss with this putter seems to be long and this just made it a bit worse but with my SeeMore SB1 I had been leaving everything short so at least being long putts have a chance to go in!

Here is a rundown.

1. 15ft first putt, 3ft past the hole, made the 2nd. I mishit this off the toe as I was too close to the ball.
2. 90ft first putt, 15ft short, 3ft past, made the 3rd. Burned the left edge on the 2nd.
3. 27ft first putt, 6ft past, made the 2nd.
4. 12ft first putt, tap in 2nd.
5. 12ft first putt, tap in 2nd.
6. 30ft first putt, tap in 2nd.
7. 36ft first putt, 12ft short on a poor read, made the 2nd
8. 30ft first putt, 6ft past, burned the right edge on the 2nd for tap in 3rd.
9. 6ft first putt, tap in 2nd misread the green
10. I holed out from 64yds for eagle so no putts here!!
11. 36ft first putt, 9ft past, burned the right edge on the 2nd for tap in 3rd.
12. I drove the green from 346 out, 9ft from the hole, burned the left edge for a tap in birdie.
13. 30ft first putt, 2ft past, easy 2nd.
14. 18ft first putt, holed!
15. 6ft first putt holed!
16. 3 ft first putt holed!
17. 15ft first putt holed!
18. 70ft first putt, 9ft past, 6ft past on 2nd, holed 3rd. Very tricky green.

Stats:
1 Putt: 4
2 Putt: 8
3 Putt: 5

I really dont like that 3 putt number but like I said I wasnt expecting the quick greens. I absolutely love the stability of this putter and honestly expect it to be the change in my putting game. The face is so easy to keep the head square. Im playing at least 9 tonight so ill be back with more.

I bought one yesterday....and went on the putting green. As others have said it is super stable - it is also leaving putts short, so this is going to take some adjustment.

I guess that we can put a heavier weight in the base to replace the 2.5g that is there?

Also the sound of the impact when going for longer putts isn't the best - I'm wondering if we could put something in the void in the base to deaden the plasticy echo type sound?? Cotton Wool maybe?

went out this morning and had 14 holes. Was 1 over after 4 (due to going in the water on 4). What I had noticed during my practice with it yesterday and early on today was that it leaves things short if I used my normal 'feel' for length. once I got this dialed in a bit more I went through the last 10 holes in 7 under my h/c to finish 6 under for 14 holes. Also finishing birdy,birdy with two 20 or so footers.

The thing with this putter is that it is very easy to get it going on your intended line (you still need a good read!). Once I get used to the firmness needed this putter will be excellent. The best thing about it is that I did not miss a single putt within 5ft and no 3 putts. This confidence then feeds into the rest of your game.

I've not been 6 under h/c since I was a 28capper !

So many thoughts to get up on this putter from the past 4 days of non-stop golf. Jjmorris and I tee'd it up on Thursday afternoon and had a good chance to talk about our thoughts on this one a good bit.

I keep reading that this putter is supposed to be the legal answer (if there is a ban) for those guys who currently belly or broomhandle......Now I have never used either but if it is anything like the DLL then it certainly makes putting easier

Great reviews guys. I keep reading about stability. I'm wondering if this means what I think it does? My problem is that with my current blade, I have a hard time getting a smooth backstroke. It just feels so light that the head moves all over the place instead of going back the way I want it to. I just can't get a steady stroke with it. This results in my alignment being off at contact and I'm missing tons of short putts that should almost be gimmes, like 3 and 5 footers.

Do you think the heavier mallet head of the DDL would help with this?

Great reviews guys. I keep reading about stability. I'm wondering if this means what I think it does? My problem is that with my current blade, I have a hard time getting a smooth backstroke. It just feels so light that the head moves all over the place instead of going back the way I want it to. I just can't get a steady stroke with it. This results in my alignment being off at contact and I'm missing tons of short putts that should almost be gimmes, like 3 and 5 footers.

Do you think the heavier mallet head of the DDL would help with this?

The DLL actually feels light in hand.....but it is very easy to swing it on a stable path/arc. The weight in the base is changeable so I may see if I can up the weight alittle as ATM I'm leaving things on the short side. I'm sure I can adjust to this though with some practice

With regards 3-5 footers - After one round and 1h practice I have found the DLL is almost automatic. I didn't miss one today. I felt very confident. As with lots of average golfers (me..as a 16h/c) the 4ft putt can be harder than a 10ft sometimes....but the hole looked massive with the DLL, every shortish putt went in the centre of the cup.

Kobey I think the although the head feels light when in hand due to the the back weighting design of the club it is very stable. I have found that I don't see the offline issues during the back stroke like I would occasionally get with my old blade.

Jank, I got sometime on a wet putting green Saturday morning. The green was still wet from the morning dew plus some sprinkles we had as well, and the green still had some sand on it from aeration. I noticed the wet sand really stuck to the insert, bottom and anywhere else that happened to touch sand. The sand and dirt also got into many of the little crevices on the putter face around the insert as well as around the plastic plate on the bottom. It's not a big deal but will take some time to clean out all the crevices and you will want to towel it off before you put the head cover back on it.

War I look forward to your thoughts after 4 fun filled golf days.

So I got a little time in with the DLL this weekend, unfortunately I didn't get a round in due to too much going on.

Sat morning I was an alternate for a scramble and didn't end up playing :( I spent some time on the practice green on long putts and struggled with speed, initially blowing 5 ft past the hole or through the breaks on every first putt, second or third putts were either in or short kick-ins. When I moved in to 5-6 footers putts were dropping or just lipping out because they were carrying a bit too much speed. Some of the speed issue could have been the wet greens combined with the sand on the greens and balls. I wasn't wiping the balls off in between putts.

I left the course and went to the range and after my two buckets of balls I went inside to the indoor green. I was struggling with my stroke initially, I figured it out and I was too hunched over and standing too close to the ball. I practiced mainly 12-20 footers and was seeing better success than that morning with my speed control. I still had a couple I blew by the hole, but most were under 3 foot from the hole and I made quite a few which is pretty good for me since the green is hard to read breaks on(yes the indoor green has breaks built in).

Hopefully I can hit the range at work at least once this week and use their two putting greens. As long as weather co-operates I will get at least one round in this week as well.

9enevesa.jpg

Time for a little testing. Hopefully a one putt or two.

I was able to roll the 35" at golfsmith the other day. I really enjoyed it, but hopefully I can find a LH 38" to roll soon. I really liked the feel of the putter on the in-store greens it was just hard to choke down that much on the 35".

Are there any cons to this putter so far that many people are noticing? I've seen that pace takes a while to get used to as it seemed that many were leaving putts short initially.

Jank I'm not seeing any downsides or negatives with this putter. It will take time to adjust to but this is true with any putter switch. Hopefully you can come across a LH 38 soon to roll.

I was intrigued by the DLL from the get go and reading this thread helped me pull the trigger on a purchase today for a very good price under MSRP can't wait to get the DLL and post my thoughts

Rolled the 35" at Golfsmith and couldn't resist... have a 38" on the way as I really want to experience the full benefits of the counter balancing. As other have said, 15 - 20 footers on the indoor practice green seem almost automatic.

I was intrigued by the DLL from the get go and reading this thread helped me pull the trigger on a purchase today for a very good price under MSRP can't wait to get the DLL and post my thoughts

Rolled the 35" at Golfsmith and couldn't resist... have a 38" on the way as I really want to experience the full benefits of the counter balancing. As other have said, 15 - 20 footers on the indoor practice green seem almost automatic.

You guys have made great purchases and I cant wait to hear your thoughts. The speed takes a little adjustment if you haved used this insert before but once the adjustment is made putting is effortless.

Ok guys. I really hope that this thread doesn't jinx me, but I had my first experience with my new DLL (38") yesterday. I am not going to post any photos, because there have already been some really great ones of this club. Let me start off by telling you I am a horrible putter. I putt well over 30 putts in a round of golf, and I very seldom make putts outside of five feet. It is just a blunt truth. My problem area has always been my line and my, for lack of better words, straight back/forward. I have never practiced as much as I should due to discouragement. Guys I am really bad.

The Club:
I have recently putted with a Yes! Sophia (blade). I had the worst time with lining up putts and following the correct swing path. I recently moved to a Ghost Spider, as this seemed to help me with my line, and I did see an improvement in putting.

The new DLL has some similar characteristics of the Spider, and I like all of the similarities. I much prefer the solid straight line on the DLL. The Spider lines were nice, but a little much for me. I love that the ball is white, the face is black and the sight line is white and surrounded by black. This really frames the ball and putt up for me. I feel that this will be a great asset to lining up my putts.

The DLL is obviously longer than my Spider (35"). I have zero experience with these longer putters, as this is the first I have ever hit. I have read all of the technical stuff about the longer putters, the MOI and the counter balancing. No one can give you that information better that TaylorMade, so I will not be spitting out all of the specs. I will tell you about my thoughts of all of this "stuff" that makes up this putter. The putter is long, but does not seem heavy. The putter is perfectly balanced for me. People have stated that the putter almost feels like putting on a rail (Straight Back/Forward), and I will agree with them. I am not going to tell you that I made 90% of the putts that I putted yesterday, but I will tell you that my putt consistency increased substantially. I have never been one to be able to reproduce a putt. I typically practice with three balls while putting, and these balls may not be in a 10' circle after putting. Yesterday the circle was 5'. Guys that are second putts of less the 5'. For me that is awesome, and brings me to my next topic. This thing is great with closer putts. I gained so much confidence in my "2nd" putt or my close putts. Again, I will not say that I made every putt, but we were closer to that 90% range within 8'. I really contribute this gained success, consistency and confidence in the counter balancing. The putting stroke itself almost felt effortless.

With a little much overdue practice and my new found confidence, I cannot wait to see what this putter has in store for my game. I will have it in play this weekend, and could not be happier. Everyone here has given such great information already, but please let me know if you have any questions about this putter. I will be glad to help.

Ive been curious since I joined. How are the members selected who will test products? I know I haven't been around long enough to be part of the action but I plan on sticking around so it'd be cool to know how it works.

Ive been curious since I joined. How are the members selected who will test products? I know I haven't been around long enough to be part of the action but I plan on sticking around so it'd be cool to know how it works.

Its all about activity. THP opens testing to everyone, and if you stay active eventually your name will be called!

Its all about activity. THP opens testing to everyone, and if you stay active eventually your name will be called!

Thats awesome now I just need to not feel weird posting up since I'm new. And sorry to steer the thread off course a little. Back to the DADDY LONG LEGS :drinks:

I've been out to the practice green twice this week Monday and last night. I held off writing up my experience on Monday hoping it was a fluke.

Unfortunately that wasn't the case. I'm struggling with speed control on putts 10ft and in, I'm simply giving these too much pace and blowing by the hole and through any break. I saw the same thing happen on two different courses putting greens and three different greens total. I think I finally got it down last night toward the end of my practice session.

Long putts I am still seeing awesome results leaving the ball close or draining them. Although I've spent a ton of time on this part of my putting game.

I need to work on the short putts more and long putts less. As I really hope I can get the shorties down since my lag putting is going so well with the DLL.

I have a putter that I love that is just like that since we moved to a new course with bent greens. I had to switch putters because it was just too hot on the shorter putts. I am testing the Spider Blade and do not see that as a problem at all. I hope you can get it to work out for you soon!

I've been out to the practice green twice this week Monday and last night. I held off writing up my experience on Monday hoping it was a fluke.

Unfortunately that wasn't the case. I'm struggling with speed control on putts 10ft and in, I'm simply giving these too much pace and blowing by the hole and through any break. I saw the same thing happen on two different courses putting greens and three different greens total. I think I finally got it down last night toward the end of my practice session.

Long putts I am still seeing awesome results leaving the ball close or draining them. Although I've spent a ton of time on this part of my putting game.

I need to work on the short putts more and long putts less. As I really hope I can get the shorties down since my lag putting is going so well with the DLL.

I will be throwing some thoughts up in here about my outing golf and DLL expericen soon but have to say I am really diggin it overall.

I also drained my first ever eagle thanks to the DLL.

I will be throwing some thoughts up in here about my outing golf and DLL expericen soon but have to say I am really diggin it overall.

I also drained my first ever eagle thanks to the DLL.

Glad that you implemented a "cool down" period before posting your thoughts from the Outing. :act-up:

I'm not sure if a competition round is really the best way of getting used to a new putter. You three-jacked the first three or four holes, right?

Glad that you implemented a "cool down" period before posting your thoughts from the Outing. :act-up:

I'm not sure if a competition round is really the best way of getting used to a new putter. You three-jacked the first three or four holes, right?
He was rolling it well with my on Thursday.

First 3 I did. At that point in time, it was not my favorite putter :D. But than I had 2 1-putt for birdies in 4 holes so we made up.

He was rolling it well with my on Thursday.

Another kind of up and down round, but definitely felt I rolled it well looking at the entire weekend as a hole. You were money with yours as well.

Back