Thinking About Lessons

HuskerFan24

Reaction score
Handicap
I enjoy playing golf and have recently invested in "nice" clubs and equipment. My problem is, I have never really had any instruction or direction when it comes to golf. I just go out and swing the clubs trying to improve. Some days I have decent results, others not so much. I will say my struggles often come from my swing / approach. I don't think I have a consistent one and like is the root of all my evils. So I am thinking of taking lessons, but didn't know where to look or what to look for. Any suggestions or approach I should take to get going in the right direction? Thanks.

There are two types of golfers.

The ones that take lessons and the ones that need to.

I played for years without lessons and decided after I retired to give them a try. I was doing so much wrong! Lessons made a huge difference and I enjoy the game so much more now. I just asked around and was lucky enough to find a great instructor. Just remember patience is a virtue!

I would say that is me. Any ideas on good places to go (in general)?

Nick Stephens at Royal St Patricks in Wrightstown, WI. Otherwise Tim DeSormeau at the DeSormeau Academy at Royal St Patricks.

I know they aren't near you. But it's who I use and completely trust them. I would look into a Class A PGA instructor at a local course.

Nick Stephens at Royal St Patricks in Wrightstown, WI. Otherwise Tim DeSormeau at the DeSormeau Academy at Royal St Patricks.

I know they aren't near you. But it's who I use and completely trust them. I would look into a Class A PGA instructor at a local course.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure to look towards the PGA Instructors or a place like GolfTec.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure to look towards the PGA Instructors or a place like GolfTec.

Either one really. I have more experience with green grass PGA instruction.

I haven't used Golftech but they are good, if we can believe the reports commonly seen here.

The suggestion to find a Class A PGA instructor is solid. This is what I am doing now and like it.

Finally, congrats on making this decision, you will be happy you did it.

I have to throw GolfTec in the mix, if they are in your area check them out. I have taken 5 lessons and a swing eval and I have nothing but praise for them and there methods. Seeing yourself on video is great it doesn't lie but it is also on you to go practice and do it correctly.

Good luck and glad you have decided to go the lesson route, I wish I did it right from the beginning.

Thanks everyone! Solid and quick information. I greatly appreciate it.

I started playing in the mid 90's when I was in college. I really liked the game but it wasn't till 2002 when I was living in Ohio that I became OBSESSED with golf. I decided to take some lessons, I was a 20.6hcp, never broke 90 in my life and I think a 42-43 was my lowest 9 hole score.

I took my 1st lessons Memorial Day weekend 2002. The Pro was this young kid. He told me "I will tell you 100 things, you will remember 10 but those 10 will make the world for you!" I took 2 lessons in 2 weeks but tweaked my back so I could only play 9 holes at a time. I played 3 straight 9 holes not shooting HIGHER then 42, including a 38 & 39. When I did play 18 I shot a 85!! By mid August I was a 12.3 hdcp!! What I learned in those 2 lessons was fantastic. I still remember those foundations, my issue now is I have kids and play 30% with really no practice so I am a 15-16hdcp now.

Morale is TAKE LESSONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are two types of golfers.

The ones that take lessons and the ones that need to.

^^^^ This! Lol! My game really improved dramatically once I started taking lessons. Plus, the year I spent taking lesson really helped me start to understand the golf swing and basic aspects of the game. I have saved up money to start taking lessons again but that might be postponed as I am hoping to use that money to try and do the ultimate club testing event in August. Either way lessons are the best way to go. You won't regret it.

Look around at the fancy country clubs in your area. You don't have to be a member to take lessons.

While it's not a guarantee, generally the pros who have the best resumes end up at the nicest courses. That doesn't mean you can't find a good instructor at run-of-the-mill course, or that you can't find a dud at a country club. However, your odds of getting someone with a great resume is higher.

As an added bonus, most of the time they'll let you hang around after your lesson and use their beautiful range.

Be sure to ask the price ahead of time though. Some of the head teaching pros are very proud of their services ($$$$). Often you can work with a great assistant for a standard lesson rate (somewhere in the $60-$70 an hour range).

Back