Team loses twice in one day, but it's worth it

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/10233790/Wild-day:-Delaware-St.-loses-twice,-gets-$550K

Two losses in one day won't seem so bad once Delaware State checks its bank balance.

The Hornets lost to Michigan in Ann Arbor on Saturday, a game they agreed to play despite having a previously scheduled conference game the same day. By rule, the Hornets were forced to forfeit their contest against fellow Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference foe North Carolina A&T, giving them two losses in one day.

The reason for the double-booking? Michigan paid Delaware State $550,000 to give up the loss and make the trip to the Big House. The far superior Wolverines squad had little trouble against the second-tier program, posting a 63-6 drubbing.

The Wolverines (5-2) set team marks with 442 yards in the first half and 727 total in the game. They matched a school record with a 28-point first quarter and led 49-3 with their second-highest score by halftime. The Hornets (1-4) didn't come close to repeating Appalachian State's upset in 2007 at the Big House.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Sad, but a nice boost to Delaware State's bottom line. Basically all the bigger schools do this to pad the schedule with some easy wins.

Ok - you all know I don't follow college football - this is football right? I don't understand how this is legitimate. Don't the players on the losing team feel badly? How can the players on the winning team feel good about their win?

Easy Diane - it's an easy win, little chance of worry for the winning team. Pads their win/loss record thus increases their chance of getting/staying ranked in the top 25.

For the losing team, I'm sure it's a nasty feeling for the players. But the people in charge of the Program and the school just look at the nice big fat check they're getting from the other school to be a designated loser.

I realize everyone agrees to it, but it seems like they're cheating.

Easy Diane - it's an easy win, little chance of worry for the winning team. Pads their win/loss record thus increases their chance of getting/staying ranked in the top 25.

For the losing team, I'm sure it's a nasty feeling for the players. But the people in charge of the Program and the school just look at the nice big fat check they're getting from the other school to be a designated loser.

I realize everyone agrees to it, but it seems like they're cheating.

Kids playing at Delaware St would never get on TV win or loss and this gives them that chance, so it is not all bad news for these kids. It helps the small schools tremendously.

Ok - you all know I don't follow college football - this is football right? I don't understand how this is legitimate. Don't the players on the losing team feel badly? How can the players on the winning team feel good about their win?
For the opposing players they know they will lose, at least most of the time. It is a nice experience for them though. The Delaware St. team got to play in front of the largest crowd of the day and probably a bigger crowd than all of their home games combined. They get to go to a great facility and see what it is like to play at the highest level.

It happens a bunch every year, if the lower division teams felt bad about it, they wouldn't do it every year. They will get over it when they take the check home and get new equipment in the weight room, or a better practice field, or a new mat for the wrestling team. Funny thing is, Delaware St. probably schedules a lower division team to beat up on. And that team will schedule a lower team to beat up on. It just rolls downhill.

The winning team is all about resting key players, trying new things against a live opponent, and letting the younger guys get game experience. Do they feel good about the win? Sure, but they know going in that they will win easily, again, most of the time. They just want to get the work in and not get anyone hurt.

Thanks for the explanation.

Back