Bridgestone J40 Fairway Woods and Hybrids

I've been pondering all weekend and I'm still stuck on this order. I think I have the hybrid shaft nailed down but I'm still all over the place on the fairway wood shaft.

I've been pondering all weekend and I'm still stuck on this order. I think I have the hybrid shaft nailed down but I'm still all over the place on the fairway wood shaft.

Seems like a few of us are. THe hybrid selection is limited so it is easier. But the wood one is challenging. IF you want to bounce ideas around, feel free to msg me or post here.

Order is in!

Loft and hybrid or fw wood -
3+ FW (14*), 2H (18*) and 4H (24*)

Grip -
Red Lampkin REL 3GEN (+4 wraps) on 3+
Black Lampkin REL 3GEN (+4 wraps) on 2H and 4H.

Length - Standard on 3+, 2H and 4H

Shafts -
3+ (Aldila R.I.P ALPHA 70 Stiff)
2H & 4H ( UST VTS Hybrid Black Stiff)

Any other requests - None

When I was fit, the guy had said that I should be right around 60g in my driver, 70g in my fairway wood, And 80g in my hybrids.

So, I went with the ALPHA 70 in my 3+, and the VTS Hybrid Blacks in the hybrids. I've had this one ready to go for awhile. Ready to get these hybrids dialed in!

Holla!

Loft and hybrid or fw wood -
3+ wood and 5 wood

Grip - REL 3GEN WHITE (+3 wraps under right hand)
Length - +1" from standard
Shafts - AD Di 7 stiff

Any other requests - +1" and 3 wraps under bottom half of grip

Rhino's order is in!!

1)
Loft and hybrid or fw wood - 4w, 16* Fairway wood
Grip - Lamkin R.E.L. 3GEN - Color - Black
Length - Playable at 42.5"
Shafts - Aldila RIP Alpha 70 - R Flex - Tipped at 1/2"

Any other requests - Logo up on grips

2)
Loft and hybrid or fw wood - 2H, 18* Hybrid
Grip - Lamkin R.E.L. 3GEN - Color - Red
Length - Playable at 40"
Shafts - UST VTS Silver - R Flex

3)
Loft and hybrid or fw wood - 4H, 24* Hybrid
Grip - Lamkin R.E.L. 3GEN - Color - Red
Length - Playable at 39"
Shafts - UST VTS Silver - R Flex

Last edited:
Put in my order in the middle of my overnight work:
Fairway Wood:
Loft - 16 degrees (4 wood)
Grip - Lamkin REL 3Gen White, with 3 additional wraps
Length - 42.75" (0.25 inches under standard)
Shaft - Graphite Design Tour AD DJ-7, Stiff Flex

Hybrids:
Loft - 18 degrees and 24 degrees (2h and 4h)
Grip - Lamkin REL 3Gen Blue, with 3 additional wraps
Length - 40.5" for 2h, 39.5" for 4h (standard on both)
Shaft - UST VTS Hybrid Silver, Stiff Flex

I thought about going with the 14 degree 3+ wood, but was a little concerned about hitting it off of the deck and I'm a 4 wood lover, so I think the 16 degree option will be better for me. I went 1/2 inch shorter than standard with the driver, so that's why I went a little shorter with the fairway wood as well. I'm excited about trying out the shaft, I've heard the Tour AD DJ shaft is really good in a fairway wood for people that love the Tour AD DI in the driver, which describes me perfectly. Thanks to Jman for his input on the UST hybrid shafts, I haven't tested them out in the past but am looking forward to it.

Solid looking order there Ary!!! I think you will be happy with your choice of the 4w over the 3+.

Got my order in this morning:

Fairways:
15* 3w
Shaft: Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff
Length: Standard
Grip: Blue/Black Multicompound

Hybrid:
18* 2h
Shaft: UST VTS Silver
Length: Standard
Grip: Red/Black Multicompound

Pumped to try these two woods out! I haven't hit any J40 fairways or hybrids yet but I've heard great things!

My bad...complete stupidity on my part I didn't even pay attention to the lofts to see that the standard 3w is 14* so thats what I will be going with. I was too busy pondering shafts to look at the lofts.

I have never in my life had so much confidence from 200 yards out as I do right now with my J40 24* hybo. This thing is just amazing and it is a perfect extension of my iron set. Beautiful high ball flight, easily workable either way without punishing a miss-cue too badly, easy to flight down when required and a nice smooth swing just sends the ball on a collision course with the green. Long par 4's (440 - 470 yards) were some of my best holes yesterday which is not the norm for me. Looking forward to more of the same.

I have never in my life had so much confidence from 200 yards out as I do right now with my J40 24* hybo. This thing is just amazing and it is a perfect extension of my iron set. Beautiful high ball flight, easily workable either way without punishing a miss-cue too badly, easy to flight down when required and a nice smooth swing just sends the ball on a collision course with the green. Long par 4's (440 - 470 yards) were some of my best holes yesterday which is not the norm for me. Looking forward to more of the same.

Love my 4H. Didn't need it very much today, but it's nice to have something in that 190-200 yard range that you're comfortable with.

Fell back in love with the 3h yesterday. When I hit down on it I make great contact and see some solid yardages. My only struggle is off the deck I see to be pushing the shots right for some feason.

Mike which hybrid would you compare this to if any?

The steeper you get, the more open the clubface has a tendency to slide.
Fell back in love with the 3h yesterday. When I hit down on it I make great contact and see some solid yardages. My only struggle is off the deck I see to be pushing the shots right for some feason.

Mike which hybrid would you compare this to if any?

I'm not Mike, but I play one on TV.

I can't think of one that really captures all the features of this one. W/S Fybrid sort of shares the same general shape, though the J40 sole is flat. Sound is pretty unique. Extremly muted with a little high pitched sound.

Ohh that sounds somewhat like the X-Hot I am hitting. I like that.

It is not like the X-Hot imo. Deeper, less offset, more head heavy, completely different sound, and just a different shape in general. I've not used the Pro of course, but still.

Hmm. The way you described the sound reminded me of how I would describe the X-Hot

Hmm. The way you described the sound reminded me of how I would describe the X-Hot

To me, the X-Hot is more muted 'whack' rather than the high pitched tingy sound like the J40. Have you ever hit a JPX Fli Hi? That's sort of along the same lines.

I have not. Really pumped to get these

To me, the X-Hot is more muted 'whack' rather than the high pitched tingy sound like the J40. Have you ever hit a JPX Fli Hi? That's sort of along the same lines.

these are definitely more of a high pitched hybrid.

You should be excited Chunky. They are very nice imo.

easy to hit too, at least for me.

Absolutely. Especially for something that's considered more of a player's hybrid. Very playable. I haven't really had the chance to use mine recently due to reviews, but it's sitting there waiting. I still would like to reshaft it though.

Back