What new tip have you learned lately that has helped your game?

Below is a video Tadashi made for me that goes over this very thing. This is what popped into my head on a tee box late in the season last year. I said to cock the left shoulder in, he said to being the right shoulder back. Same thing.

Thanks again for the tip Freddie!

Thanks Smalls and Tadashi for this tip. It worked wonders today. My first 5 holes I was pushing or slicing my Drives and then got caught in a Thunderstorm. While sitting in the clubhouse waiting to let the storm pass, I thought of this video. When play resummed I concentrated on the shoulder and started to hit straight drives.

I think over time we all get complacent and if it feels comfortable we just swing and can't quite figure out what has gone wrong. I felt like I was lining up correctly but with the shoulder open the results were'nt there. Thanks again.

Thanks Smalls and Tadashi for this tip. It worked wonders today. My first 5 holes I was pushing or slicing my Drives and then got caught in a Thunderstorm. While sitting in the clubhouse waiting to let the storm pass, I thought of this video. When play resummed I concentrated on the shoulder and started to hit straight drives.

I think over time we all get complacent and if it feels comfortable we just swing and can't quite figure out what has gone wrong. I felt like I was lining up correctly but with the shoulder open the results were'nt there. Thanks again.
It's all Freddie, not me!

I have been cursed with pulling my shots. Damned things go straight to the left periodically. But based on lessons, internet research and practice, I've flattened and softened my swing and am starting to get a consistent groove.

Does shut up, stop thinking and swing the darn club count as a tip? That's what I learned to do.

Mine is probably a beginners tip, but the biggest thing that has helped my game is that I've learned not to try to "kill" the ball.

My swing is very, very easy now. Looks like I'm barely swinging but I keep my wrists loose and create a whipping action to hit the ball. I now hit it farther than when I was trying to hit the ball as hard as I could with my arms.

Its not a new tip but i havent quite solidified it in my swing is the "pose". If i just pose like luke donald it keeps me from over exerting myself and playing within myself.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Because someone merged my "how'd you hit them today thread" I must post in here as there is nothing else close. I fixed my hook today. It was a matter of ball position. Happy happy happy. Districts tomorrow. Play golf 'Merica.

I got this in an Email from Roger Fredricks. I tried it today and all my irons were like lasers today.
The 9iron was very straight, towering and consistent at 145 yards. If I can hit all my irons this
straight, my scores can only lower. It was really fun today.

The late John Schlee, who was a good friend of mine and instructor, worked with Hogan for several years and John told me - that Hogan told him - that The Secret lay in the left wrist, i.e. it goes like this:
jpeg

1. Take your normal address position,
  2. Then, look down and look at the base of your left thumb where it joins the wrist…You won't see any wrinkles there.
  3. Now, cock your wrists straight up so that the shaft is horizontal to the ground, and you'll notice that wrinkles now appear at the base of the thumb.
According to John, Hogan felt that if he kept those wrinkles in tact throughout his swing, that the club couldn't un-cock (or release), prematurely, and therefore the toe of the club couldn't get to the ball first, and thus eliminate his dreaded hook.
You'll notice that when you do this, that the left wrist will naturally cup somewhat. This in itself brings up another discussion with the people who want the left wrist flat at the top. However, I've noticed that the position of the left wrist is a symptom of two things.
A) How thick your musculature is in your wrist; and,
B) What type of grip you employ; i.e., Strong, Neutral, or Weak. A Strong Grip like Freddie Couples, will produce more cup - a Neutral Grip will tend to be less 'cuppy', and a Weak grip even less.In addition to creating maximum lag and a delayed hit, a good wrist cock will also tend to allow your body to move in proper sequence. Or, as Johnny Revolta used to tell me, "Son, you've got to 'Cock it and Lock it!"

A tip that has made my golfing days more enjoyable came from me searching "how to stop hitting a slice". I use to hit this huge banana slice. I mean it was UGLY! And I couldn't ever figure out why. Then one day at the range, after reading this tip saying to keep your weight on your left foot (for RH) through the swing, I realized when I'd start my swing, I'd sway my weight back on my right foot. Which is fine if you transfer it to your front foot when you start your downswing. But I would keep all of my weight on my back foot and therefore my club face was open throughout impact. After that, the only time I hit a fade is when I want to. Made my days at the course a lot more enjoyable to say the least.

Another tip I picked up was from this site. I was having a hard time getting any spin out of my 7-PW. I heard someone saying to put the ball further back in your stance. Tried it with my PW, now I'm almost getting too much back spin lol. It's crazy that the smallest thing can change the outcome of your shot..

From my last lesson keeping the left arm straight, getting my hands high and starting the downswing slow.

There is no need to get quick to start with on the downswing as you waste power and quick to get started gets you out of position.

I started opening the face slightly on every shot. Helps me get my hands through the ball and my draw had returned. More impressively, my distances from college have returned. That's significant because colleges was 20 years ago.

I came to terms with focusing on the shot your about to hit and not trying to fix your swing mid round. Just keep focus on hitting the shot and let your swung take care of itself.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Manuel de la Torre - swing club back with the hands, down with the arms, out towards the target = eliminate other swing thoughts

Strong grip = fix slicing ball flight

Hinge and Hold = improved chipping

I was playing with a guy who caddies at Pebble Beach about a month or so ago... I've always been happy with my drives (240-250 range) but he offered to give me a bit of advice (I really like how he asked before he did as many people will just start trying to fix your swing even if you don't want them to)...

He said to gain power I should pretend I'm throwing my driver towards the hole, his point is, if you're going to throw your driver, you will naturally release your wrists at the point where you gain power... I've tried it and I do gain 10-15 yards by doing so, however I tend to be a slice it a little when I do it, so I havent used it on the course... I have however gone to the driving range and I'm slowly getting it dialed in...

Mine is going back to an oldie but goodie:

Keep it simple stupid.

He said to gain power I should pretend I'm throwing my driver towards the hole, his point is, if you're going to throw your driver, you will naturally release your wrists at the point where you gain power... I've tried it and I do gain 10-15 yards by doing so, however I tend to be a slice it a little when I do it, so I havent used it on the course... I have however gone to the driving range and I'm slowly getting it dialed in...

Ah...the Shawn Clement "throw the club" drill. I know it well...

Ah...the Shawn Clement "throw the club" drill. I know it well...

Hows Nashvegas? I just left there in December to move to Monterey CA.

Make sure your grip is right. Seems like when I put my hands on the club and it feels natural and comfortable, I am hitting the ball all over the place. But if I make sure the pad of my right thumb is covering my right thumb, I am striping everything. Distances are much better as well. Twenty yards better it seems!

Make sure your grip is right. Seems like when I put my hands on the club and it feels natural and comfortable, I am hitting the ball all over the place. But if I make sure the pad of my right thumb is covering my right thumb, I am striping everything. Distances are much better as well. Twenty yards better it seems!

This has greatly helped me too! My grip was wayyyyy too tight. As soon as I made an effort to hold the club lightly its helped me hit straighter. I still struggle but if I can make sure I ease up it helps.

Yep, putting a death grip on the club just doesn't help! I have to remember that from time to time as well!

That my putter stance was just a little farther from the ball than ideal and that I would benefit from a putter one inch shorter. Seemed too short at first, but he was right, my putter was a little toe up and now is flat. Fewer misses left.

The biggest piece of advice came from my instructor. My biggest problem has been topped shots or severely fat shots. After looking at me swing a few, he noticed I was looking up before impact. He told me to fill in a few dimples of the ball with a marker.(that way I would most likely be able to see the mark from any lie) From there he told me to focus on that dimple until I saw the ball leave the face of the club. This has done wonders for my iron play. Too my surprise it has also done wonders for my chips, driving, and putting. I am definately making better contact with the ball because I am not lifting my head and jumping up before impact.

Focus is an amazing thing. I was playing cornhole the other day with some friends. One turn, I threw the first bag exactly where I wanted it slide right into the hole. I never took my eyes off the hole and threw the next three right in as well. It was just moment of perfect focus. I didn't even think about my arm motion or release just focus on the hole. Next round on the golf course I will try the colored in dimple thing. I like the idea of it helping my focus.

Not a tip from someone else, but I was taking some practice swings on the back deck with the driver and realized how low my hands were at setup.

Watched a couple YouTube videos on the subject and sure enough I've been way to low, on long/mid irons too.

I think it's even more so when I play with other people, I tell myself to stay low, have a good base, etc. and my hands go down with the rest of my body.

I wasn't going to golf today, but its pretty nice out, cloudy and not the typical uncomfortable midday heat for this time of year so I think I may head out and play a solo "practice" round working on just keeping my hands a little higher and standing more upright.

Sounds wrong, but I think I am getting too low lately and need to scale it back to a more sounds setup.

What I need to do is take some swing videos. But I just can't today. Gotta golf!

Back