The yard work thread

WMAC19 that is some nice landscaping you and your wife put in. Yard and house look very nice.

Thanks so much. My wife loves grasses and she went a little crazy picking them out. One day while she was at work and after the pics were taken, I swapped out the grasses on either side of the stairs in the front and put in evergreens (arborvitaes), along with some other evergreens.

The house was my parents' and was once only a small, one-level 2 bedroom home. We went up first and then out and added the porch and pavers last. Close contractor friends did the build to save us money, I'm forever indebted to them.

Here is an update on how the yard is looking so far. Just hope that with the summer heat it stays this way. By the way the front yard is cut on the highest setting and a golf ball will quickly disappear.

Wow, your grass is perfect. I'm always envious of a beautiful lawn. Although I use a service to cut the grass, that's all they do. I do the weed and feed and any other treatments. My biggest job comes in the spring. I have three large dogs (120 lbs, 110 lbs, 80 lbs) and over the course of the fall into winter into the soggy spring, they really tear it up. I spend weeks getting it back in shape.

Very nice home, love your backyard too... looks like entertainment central. :smile:

This is what my dogs do to my backyard every year, makes me wanna cry! Below that is what I get it to recover to after working on it all spring. Looks like the nicer pic now thankfully, lol...

Before:
cbear.jpg

After:
033vvq.jpg

Last edited:
wow jlukes that is a great job, I imagine that took some time to build in or did you just really over seed it?

Took 2 years.

Spring 2011
Dirt fill in low lying areas to help with drainage
Tons of top soil on most of front yard and back yard
Seed and starter fertilizer raked into top soil

Fall 2011
Core aeration
Top soil, starter fertilizer and seed used to patch areas that didn't take before summer heat
Overseeded entire lawn
Fertilized

Spring 2012
Overseeded and fertilized

Fall 2012
Overseeded and fertilized

Spring 2013
Fertizer + pre-emergent

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

I mow to 3 inches during spring and summer and fall and 2 inches in late fall

This is what the backyard (jungle looked like when we bought the house

ega5uzar.jpg

3azesu5e.jpg

Ripped out all of the bushes by hand, dug out the stumps, mulched and put in a nice area for my grills

403439_10100566494971444_821934443_n.jpg

backafter3.jpg

Having a super rough go with my lawn this year. Intentions were great, dethatched and got it all cleaned up. Seeded and watered like crazy.

Go to mow it for the first time, and the mower has a broken primer bulb.... still waiting for the part to come in, and the lawn is out of control. Dandelions are everywhere and massive. I really need a mow and a weed-and-feed layer applied badly.

Fingers crossed for the part for the weekend !

You need more boats in the back yard Joe.

Seriously though, good job. I would love to give it a go but I am just worried that it wont hold. Our front yard is decent, we have plenty of grass and its thick but the back is so shady and holds moisture for a while, its patchy like yours was. Definitely have had some erosion over the years as well. I was reading that contractor seed might work because it contains a bunch of different seeds and whatever germinates will take over eventually. I will take some pics soon, might not get to it till the weekend since I wont be here.

You need more boats in the back yard Joe.

Seriously though, good job. I would love to give it a go but I am just worried that it wont hold. Our front yard is decent, we have plenty of grass and its thick but the back is so shady and holds moisture for a while, its patchy like yours was. Definitely have had some erosion over the years as well. I was reading that contractor seed might work because it contains a bunch of different seeds and whatever germinates will take over eventually. I will take some pics soon, might not get to it till the weekend since I wont be here.

Don't planted any seed now as the roots won't have enough time to get deep enough to last through the summer. Wait until after labor day and then put down some top soil, starter fertilizer and seed. Don't use the contactor mix as it contains cheapest send that germinates fast (often used on new construction sites) but most of the grass will die the first winter. Use perennial rye. Germinates quickly and has good extreme weather tolerance.

For the DFWers, I'd love to plant some shade trees but I have no idea what would be the best option for this area. Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

A mix my local farmer's coop makes that contains perennial rye and kbg

I thought it looked like it had some kbg in it.

I'd like to get into it, but it's impossible to work outside during the summer when it's 110 heat index outside, so in spring and fall I'm all over it, but during the middle of the summer it gets less attention.

Living in an apartment I don't have a yard, but I do love going outside and washing my car every weekend. It's the only bit of upkeep and "work" I can do

Cut, trimmed, and edged the yard this morning before work and put down some mulch. Intended to take a picture and then forgot.

I assume all of us yard junkies edge. But do you guys edge everytime or every other time? I've been edging and trimming every single time I cut for years. Just want hear another opinion.

Cut, trimmed, and edged the yard this morning before work and put down some mulch. Intended to take a picture and then forgot.

I assume all of us yard junkies edge. But do you guys edge everytime or every other time? I've been edging and trimming every single time I cut for years. Just want hear another opinion.

Edge about every 2 weeks but weedeat/trim in between the edging. Weedeat/trim around all trees/fences, etc everytime before mowing.

I edge with a shovel and I only have to do it about twice a year. Something my pops taught me and I will never go about it any other way. I don't even own a weed whacker or edger. It takes a lot more time when you actually have to do it but well worth the time IMO.

When I lived at home with my dad I loved taking care of the lawn. Didn't know why or that I did at the time. But I've been renting the previous 4+ years, and really I miss taking care of a lawn. I go over and take care of my mother-in-laws because she doesn't really want to.

Round up and a sprayer for edging once a yr. with a acre i would be out there all week other wise...

I hate yardwork...I just re-sodded my entire backyard with a shovel and a pair of gloves

#neveragain

I edge the driveway one time with the edger and the next cut I hit it with just the trimmer. I trim the yard just about every time.

Round up and a sprayer for edging once a yr. with a acre i would be out there all week other wise...

you would spend Saturday cutting and Sunday edging which would leave no time for golf.

Wow, your grass is perfect. I'm always envious of a beautiful lawn. Although I use a service to cut the grass, that's all they do. I do the weed and feed and any other treatments. My biggest job comes in the spring. I have three large dogs (120 lbs, 110 lbs, 80 lbs) and over the course of the fall into winter into the soggy spring, they really tear it up. I spend weeks getting it back in shape.

Very nice home, love your backyard too... looks like entertainment central. :smile:

Thanks man. I have a little dog (puggle) and he loves to play in the backyard but dose not do to much damage other than where he pees.

Ok so now I have a dilemma, I dug out a fire pit but we had a nice thunderstorm Tuesday now this happened. Hmmmm any advice? Thanks

ymyjybe3.jpg

A fountain and some gold fish insant pond ...haha sorry no i would let it dry up dig down a few more inchs add some gravel for drainage and call it done ...

I enjoy yard work. Here is a picture of our fence that I'm building. We have horses so the fence is usefull as well!
u8egu5y2.jpg

The whole place is a work in progress.
Just had the house built and got moved in mid march.

I'm a huge yard work fan. I think it's fun to see the results of your hard work. I killed all of the moss in my yard but now I need to de-thatch. It's definitely a process but its a lot of fun for me.

Back