The yard work thread

I edge with a shovel and I only have to do it about twice a year. Something my pops taught me and I will never go about it any other way. I don't even own a weed whacker or edger. It takes a lot more time when you actually have to do it but well worth the time IMO.

I agree, I edge my mulch beds with a shovel. Use my weed whacker for the grass along the fence and the edging head attachment on the sidewalk

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Ok so now I have a dilemma, I dug out a fire pit but we had a nice thunderstorm Tuesday now this happened. Hmmmm any advice? Thanks

ymyjybe3.jpg

Only options are wait until it evaporates or siphon it out with a hose

Only options are wait until it evaporates or siphon it out with a hose

Thanks I have a bucket that I was going to use to expedite the process but I was also looking for other ideas to help deal with this in the future.

A fountain and some gold fish insant pond ...haha sorry no i would let it dry up dig down a few more inchs add some gravel for drainage and call it done ...

Thanks man not interested in a pond haha. Great call about the gravel I was thinking that might be a good idea any way but after this ordeal I know I need something. What about the walls? Maybe flagstone or something similar?

Ok so now I have a dilemma, I dug out a fire pit but we had a nice thunderstorm Tuesday now this happened. Hmmmm any advice? Thanks

ymyjybe3.jpg

You can dig a hole beside it & lower than the fire pit & let drain that way. Then dig it a little deeper & back fill with some gravel.

Crest I agree with everyone else I would add some type of smaller rocks in the pit.

Yard work thread? Y'all do realize that yardwork is the number one bane of men getting to get out and play golf, right? Why is there a thread dedicated to this travesty of "loving yard work"?

Yard work thread? Y'all do realize that yardwork is the number one bane of men getting to get out and play golf, right? Why is there a thread dedicated to this travesty of "loving yard work"?

Nice yard = happy wife
Happy wife = happy life
Happy life = happy man
Happy man = on golf course

See......it's simple.

I think of my yard as my own personal Bushwood with me Carl Spackler as head greenskeeper "So i got that going for me Gunga lunga............
Carl-Spackler1.jpg

Nice yard = happy wife with high expectation levels
Happy wife with high expectation levels = happy life of being expected to do even more
Happy life of being expected to do so much = overly busy man
Overly busy man = never on golf course

See......it's simple.

FIFY, buddy!

I'm with Cookie on this. If I have to sacrifice a weekend or two in the spring to get it back on track sobeit. Not to mention we are a golfing family so getting help to get it done is easily leverage by golfing opportunities.

I think of my yard as my own personal Bushwood with me Carl Spackler as head greenskeeper "So i got that going for me Gunga lunga............
Carl-Spackler1.jpg

So do you grow your own special blend of grass one you can play on all day and then get stoned to the beejezzus after? Lol I love this movie.

I'm with Cookie on this. If I have to sacrifice a weekend or two in the spring to get it back on track sobeit. Not to mention we are a golfing family so getting help to get it done is easily leverage by golfing opportunities.

I dunno, golfing opportunities makes it easier to procrastinate, IMO. ;)

Nice yard = happy wife
Happy wife = happy life
Happy life = happy man
Happy man = on golf course

See......it's simple.

100% correct!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370008617.541737.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1370008633.724694.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1370008646.820571.jpg
Just cut the grass, quick watering and then off to the course..... And then Miller Time!!!! TGIF

Well here is todays project this use to just be dirt for two yrs. finally got tired of looking at it and after 3 yds. of river rock a shovel and $500 in supplies iam almost done need a few boulders and some retaining blk. BEER ME IAM SPENT AAAAHHHHH...:drinks:

406806821.jpg

Well here is todays project this use to just be dirt for two yrs. finally got tired of looking at it and after 3 yds. of river rock a shovel and $500 in supplies iam almost done need a few boulders and some retaining blk. BEER ME IAM SPENT AAAAHHHHH...:drinks:

406806821.jpg

Looks good man, well done. Great look and I am sure the up keep will be much easier than just mulch.

I had a contractor say something to me when I first bought my house and I quote to give him credit "sweat equity". I really like the term because yeah it is difficult but it will pay dividends down the road when/if you sell the house.

Thanks advil is going to my friend for a day or two hahaha...

Thanks advil is going to my friend for a day or two hahaha...

Haha I bet. Have a couple ice cold beverages and you should be good to go.

Cut, trimmed, and edged the yard this morning before work and put down some mulch. Intended to take a picture and then forgot.

I assume all of us yard junkies edge. But do you guys edge everytime or every other time? I've been edging and trimming every single time I cut for years. Just want hear another opinion.

I trim twice maybe three times a year. I have three acres over 70 trees plus boulders to mow around, round up is my best friend!

When I lived in town I would trim every other time I mowed. The key to this is to trim lower than what you mow.

3 yards of river rock.... Sir you deserve a KEG!!!!!

406806821.jpg

Finally got the first mow in of the year. First day in almost a month that it hasn't been freezing cold or soaking wet out.

Wife is out planting the bedding plants finally, and I spent 2 hours weed eating, mowing, and fertilizing.

Really happy to have is done. Anxiety level was getting real high with the dandelions and super high grass taking over my yard.

Mowed, weed eated, edged & generally worked my butt of today.

3 hours of yard work today. Mowed, cleaned out 2 flower beds, etc.

Bought a Japanese maple that will get planted tomorrow after golf along with a few other things.

Sod coming along nicely!

Worked for a good bit in the yard today. Mowed, chainsaw trimmed some palm trees, spread some new Bermuda seed for the yard. All kinds of fun.

Back