Your take on limiting technology in a golf ball?

Add to that. Pebble was at 7,040 in 2010. But Congressional was at 7,500 yards and the scores where the lowest ever.

So how is distance lowering scores?

Logic is the scores were lower at Congressional because they are hitting longer drives and shorter irons to the greens.

Logic is the scores were lower at Congressional because they are hitting longer drives and shorter irons to the greens.

Well at Olympic they were hitting long irons off the tee and short irons into the greens. And the scores were higher.

Very few. How many players finished below par?

Now if we played any of those "short" courses", we would be hitting drives on most of the par 4's.. Please note,,, I understand your point.. I am just forwarding what I hear or read.. I think a big part is it is changing too much of the game..

Now if we played any of those "short" courses", we would be hitting drives on most of the par 4's.. Please note,,, I understand your point.. I am just forwarding what I hear or read.. I think a big part is it is changing too much of the game..

But why can't golf evolve? That is my biggest issue with any argument that uses "tradition". The PGA tour hasn't been traditional since the 1960s.

Well at Olympic they were hitting long irons off the tee and short irons into the greens. And the scores were higher.

Tight fairways and high roughs.. How about this years Heritage Classic... Then add the wind.. That course was a heart beat from being a thing of the past..

But why can't golf evolve? That is my biggest issue with any argument that uses "tradition". The PGA tour hasn't been traditional since the 1960s.

This is a great conversation.. Evolve to what?

Tight fairways and high roughs.. How about this years Heritage Classic... Then add the wind.. That course was a heart beat from being a thing of the past..

Let me just ask this...

So?

Where the game is made more easy and enjoyable for the people who pay to play it.

Even in my situation, I enjoy the game. I don't think any game is suppose to be easy. There has to be a challenge.. Don't you think so?

Let me just ask this...

So?

So,,, they should build new longer courses for the pros can play and forget the courses that have help built and support the tour?

So,,, they should build new longer courses for the pros can play and forget the courses that have help built and support the tour?

How is that the problem of amateur golfers? A PGA Tour player has never played or supported my home course. Why should their distance affect how I play my home course.

Even in my situation, I enjoy the game. I don't think any game is suppose to be easy. There has to be a challenge.. Don't you think so?

Sure. But the game has to be enjoyed and played. Making the game of golf more difficult will not bring people to the game or keep people playing it. At the same time. The game of golf will always be difficult, regardless of distance. The scores haven't gotten any lower on average. Even with all the equipment and ball advance.

Why do the courses have to get longer to accommodate the pros at all? Because they're scoring too well? Why is it so wrong for the winning score of the tournament to be substantially better than par?

In 1977 when Al Geiberger shot the first recorded 59, was it because the course was obsolete and too short?

How about when Annika shot a 59 in 2001?

How is that the problem of amateur golfers? A PGA Tour player has never played or supported my home course. Why should their distance affect how I play my home course.

Sure. But the game has to be enjoyed and played. Making the game of golf more difficult will not bring people to the game or keep people playing it. At the same time. The game of golf will always be difficult, regardless of distance. The scores haven't gotten any lower on average. Even with all the equipment and ball advance.

Not saying it should. How would any change effect you now?

How would it make the game more difficult and less enjoyable? As we get older we loose distance. A part of life. Us "old folk" still love and play the game..

How would it make the game more difficult and less enjoyable? As we get older we loose distance. A part of life. Us "old folk" still love and play the game..

But if the game gets harder because the ball gets shorter and clubs get shorter people are going to pick up the game less often. And I doubt there will be many amateurs moving up tees. Because that hasn't happened despite the USGA's pleading for years to do so.

In 1977 when Al Geiberger shot the first recorded 59, was it because the course was obsolete and too short?

How about when Annika shot a 59 in 2001?

Steriods... lol

But if the game gets harder because the ball gets shorter and clubs get shorter people are going to pick up the game less often. And I doubt there will be many amateurs moving up tees. Because that hasn't happened despite the USGA's pleading for years to do so.

I have a feeling time will tell. I'm going to continue to play golf within the rules as most everyone else is. A new golfer would not really know the difference between a Pro V1 and Rockflite. Golf is addictive and challenging. If it were made easy, wheres the challange IMHO..

I have a feeling time will tell. I'm going to continue to play golf within the rules as most everyone else is. A new golfer would not really know the difference between a Pro V1 and Rockflite. Golf is addictive and challenging. If it were made easy, wheres the challange IMHO..

But it will never be "easy". Because no matter how good the clubs or balls are, the one uncontrollable variable is then idiot swinging the club.

But it will never be "easy". Because no matter how good the clubs or balls are, the one uncontrollable variable is then idiot swinging the club.

LOL. I'm living proof golf is a mental game.. (with a little hand eye coordination) Gotta run Blue.. Enjoyed our debate. Have a great day!

Add to that. Pebble was at 7,040 in 2010. But Congressional was at 7,500 yards and the scores where the lowest ever.

So how is distance lowering scores?

I don't think the argument that started this was about scores, or about how pros play specifically. I think it was about the fact that for a new course to be considered championship grade it had to be long. As a result, courses started getting longer and longer. The end result of that, it's suggested, is that courses have become too expensive to build and to maintain. Too much acreage, too much maintenance, too much fuel for maintenance vehicles, etc...

Then the discussion evolved into people leaving the game, or not entering it because it is too hard and takes too long. So the extra length that has characterized modern American courses is seen as further eroding the economics of golf because they are adding to the discouragement of participation in the sport.

So the debate started looking at the golf ball as an easy way to leave avg players alone, while making the longest pros shorter. Not unlike metal bats being illegal in MLB. Golf would accomplish this by making balls that flew the same for most players, but wouldn't be as long for pros. That supposedly would encourage developers to build more reasonably sized course, easier for amateurs to play in a shorter amount of time, etc...

Another idea to aid golf is to adopt an official 12-hole round, with 12-hole handicaps. Tournaments played as 6 12-hole rounds instead of 4 18s. The idea is that an official 12-hole round would get p layers on and off the course in 3 hours or less and make golf more accessible to more people, including todays computer, social networked gen of kids who don't want to invest 5 hours in a single activity.

FWIW, this all started over expense and eroding participation and how to solve it, not about scores....professional or amateur.

LOL. I'm living proof golf is a mental game.. (with a little hand eye coordination) Gotta run Blue.. Enjoyed our debate. Have a great day!

Be good brother.

Harbour Town disagrees.

Back