Titleist driver settings confusion

hampshire2012

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm sure some (most) of you will be familiar with how surefit works on Titleist drivers/woods. (http://goo.gl/oWH6K)

I was reading this old article, which says McIlroy had his old titleist driver on the C2 setting, because it helped his tendency to draw the ball
(http://www.golf.com/equipment/rory-mcilroy-switch-titleist-913-d3-driver-ended-his-slump)

Which presumably means that the C2 setting produces a slight fade - which seems to contradict the manual.

What am I missing?

Maybe he was drawing the ball too much and need the face opened slightly (C2 setting) to square the face at impact.

Opening and closing the adapter settings have a reverse relationship with loft. So you need to set it at a closed setting to increase loft, vice versa. So og is probably right.

Threads like this validate for me, my feelings that Titleists adjustability was/is a little difficult to understand.

That's what I thought logically made sense too, but according to the manual C2 produces more draw than A1 - the standard setting. Hence why I got confused!

Threads like this validate for me, my feelings that Titleists adjustability was/is a little difficult to understand.

I thought I understood how it worked, but the comment in that article made me think otherwise!

Ill be the first to admit that Titleist's system isnt the best when it comes to clarity but I've never had trouble understanding what each setting will do to the ballflight.
That article is just phrased funny I think.

The article says "C-2 (slightly Open)", possible that the author of the article made a mistake?

You've obviously never seen Cobras myfly system

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Agreed. All these loft changes really bug me as I never truly understand what I'm getting. I need to do some studying.

The article says "C-2 (slightly Open)", possible that the author of the article made a mistake?
That is exactly what happened. Maybe he was looking at the LH chart?

That is exactly what happened. Maybe he was looking at the LH chart?

I thought this too, but I'm pretty sure I've seen mcilroy refer to this in a witb interview on YouTube. On my phone so can't locate it now but will have a look later.

I think the author was a little confused and either miscommunicated (maybe he meant C1) or misinterpreted the setting. While I'm kind of surprised Rory played his driver in a slightly more upright position (maybe a fitting preference), ratcheting down the loft does reduce the spin. Maybe Rory thought the reduced loft and spin controlled his draw better.

Mistake or maybe in A1 he hit a fade so by changing his setting it helped him hit a draw?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kPGEnptIJ4

Here McIlroy talks about how C2 makes the driver sit a little bit open, which seems to contradict the manual.

Any Titleist experts out there know whats going on?!

I think the author was a little confused and either miscommunicated (maybe he meant C1) or misinterpreted the setting. While I'm kind of surprised Rory played his driver in a slightly more upright position (maybe a fitting preference), ratcheting down the loft does reduce the spin. Maybe Rory thought the reduced loft and spin controlled his draw better.

Mistake or maybe in A1 he hit a fade so by changing his setting it helped him hit a draw?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kPGEnptIJ4

Here McIlroy talks about how C2 makes the driver sit a little bit open, which seems to contradict the manual.

Any Titleist experts out there know whats going on?!

I can see where the Titleist "matrix" can be a bit confusing, as it addresses loft and lie angle, but does not speak to face angle. The loft and lie angle can be changed, independent of one another. However, changes to the "loft" setting impact the face angle. (Actually, I think the loft is changed by setting the club to a different face angle.) Anyhow, if you look at the Titleist Performance Matrix, as you move between "loft" settings, the face angle is impacted in 1 deg increments. Example: Standard setting of A1 has a face angle of 0.5 deg open. If you change the setting to D1, it maintains the same lie angle, but decreases the loft by .75 deg. This also results in a face angle around 1.5 deg open.

In Rory's case, it sounded like he preferred a more upright lie in the driver. However, to reduce his draw tendency, they dropped a bit in loft, to also get a more open face angle.

I can see where the Titleist "matrix" can be a bit confusing, as it addresses loft and lie angle, but does not speak to face angle. The loft and lie angle can be changed, independent of one another. However, changes to the "loft" setting impact the face angle. (Actually, I think the loft is changed by setting the club to a different face angle.) Anyhow, if you look at the Titleist Performance Matrix, as you move between "loft" settings, the face angle is impacted in 1 deg increments. Example: Standard setting of A1 has a face angle of 0.5 deg open. If you change the setting to D1, it maintains the same lie angle, but decreases the loft by .75 deg. This also results in a face angle around 1.5 deg open.

In Rory's case, it sounded like he preferred a more upright lie in the driver. However, to reduce his draw tendency, they dropped a bit in loft, to also get a more open face angle.

Gottcha. I wasn't separating out face angle as a 3rd variable (albeit one that depends on the loft). Makes sense that that is how they adjust the loft as well.

I still think it's a bit misleading, because if C2 helps a tendency to draw then the manual is kind of unhelpful!

Gottcha. I wasn't separating out face angle as a 3rd variable (albeit one that depends on the other two).

I still think it's a bit misleading, because if C2 helps a tendency to draw then the manual is kind of unhelpful!

Yep, and that's because, generally speaking, a more upright lie angle can help reduce "rights".

Also, just to note. The same thing happens with the TaylorMade R1. What they have done to try and address this, though, is to have the Face Angle Sole Plate (also the R11). If you go to the R1 web page, at about the midway point of the page, is a neat slider "tool" that shows the impact of loft changes, in conjunction with the face angle changes. With a 10 deg loft, the R1 face angle is neutral. With a loft setting of 10.5 deg, the face angle is 1.3 deg closed. Note, that this is before you make any changes to the Face Angle Sole Plate to modify the way the club sits (face angle) at address.

http://taylormadegolf.com/drivers/R1.html

Back