I'm ashamed to say I set a bad example today!

Not sure what the nationalities of any of the people in the group behind you had to do with anything.

Just painting a picture for us.....lol

Not sure what the nationalities of any of the people in the group behind you had to do with anything.
Chill out man i was just trying to be descriptive. The Canadians were also 2 retied pro hockey players and there 18 yr old son The Japanese guy was on vacation from Japan and spoke little to no english so he had no idea what the guys were yelling to him

I just don't understand the thought process. What's this guy do if he hits you ?? I don't get it. I can think of a dozen ways I could do it calmly sitting at my computer but I guarantee none of those options would come to fruition on the golf course if that happened to me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

You might have called the pro shop as soon as the first ball landed and waited on the next tee for all parties to arrive.

Actually I think you remained pretty calm.

Correct ^^^^^

I agree with a few others who stated that they would have waited on the par 3 for him. I'd have asked him why he hit into us. Depending on his answer I might have reported him to the pro shop. In any event I'd have let him go through.

Like driving on the highway, I'd rather have maniacs in front of me than behind me.

I would have had to wait for him to find out what he was thinking teeing off on a par 3 with people on the green. Hopefully he thought of of you waved him through. I just can't think of any other reason for someone doing something so stupid and dangerous.

You shouldn't feel bad -.you didn't set the bad example. The Arsehat did.

(Had to borrow one of your favorite words Ole Gray, mine wasn't PC) :angel:

I can't believe that someone hit into you on a Par 3, especially if what you're saying about not holding him up prior to that hole is true. Who in their right mind would think that it's OK to hit just because they've pulled up to a tee box?

I think you probably should've waited on the next tee box to talk to him and let him play through, or go ahead and hit your drives on the next tee box and let him play through from there. I'd have been pretty ticked off like you were getting hit into on back to back holes, but you probably should've let him play though. I don't think the way you reacted was really that out of line though.

Today I played my usual haunt with someone that is still fairly new to golf. She has played approximately 25 rounds and half of those have been with me. We have had a decent pace throughout our games and today was no different.

Today however, we had a single playing behind us. It was 92* out so we didn't waste a lot of time not playing. The single was 1 to 2 holes behind us and had not caught up close enough to play through if he decided. We got to a par 3 that was 140 yards. We both got on from the tee. We were preparing to putt when the familiar sound of the ball hitting the green occurred about 2 feet behind me. The warning of 'fore' was not given. It was the single standing in the tee box. We holed out and went to the next hole, which was 6. She commented about it and I addressed her concerns but we played on. At hole 8, a 4 par, we where both in the fairway closing in on the green when I heard a 'thud' again. This time the ball is between her and I. About 10 feet or so from us. The same single.

I will admit that I was seeing red and I'm not the type to show a lot of emotion. But without saying anything I picked up the guy's ball and promptly threw it into the water nearby. The guy could not get down to us fast enough. Words were exchanged and ultimately the Marshall had to come out. Both the single and I are regulars and the Marshall didn't quite solve the issue. Yes, we both were wrong. But at what point is enough, well enough? I know the rules and try to play by them always. But I was angry over the incident. The manager called me an hour after we had finished and stated my next round will be free.

How would you have handled it?!

I'd have been waiting for him on the 6th tee, and I'd have been expecting an apology. If I got the apology, I'd have let him play on after advising him of stupidity of what he'd just done. If he wants to play through, all he has to do is ask. You don't deliberately hit onto someone, ever. I'd have also called the shop before he got there with a request for the ranger to come by. I certainly wouldn't have just passively played on. That's an issue which needs to be resolved immediately.

Last edited:
Sadly I've been the trailing guy hitting into the group in front of me. I hit a driver fat, and pulled 3 wood on my next shot and knew that I wasn't getting near the green and was planning on landing 30 yards or so away. Well I really got a hold of it, and landed actually on the fringe, with the group on the green. HOWEVER, they waited for our group on the next tee and let us through, and I felt so bad I kept apologizing to them about it because it was an accident.

I generally knock their ball into the woods, tall grass or lake with a wedge and give them a nice little wave.

I think you did pretty well. I'm not sure I could of held on that long. If I was on that par 3 I would have hit his golf ball the opposite way and told him to go fetch

One thing we all need to remember is that it isn't always on purpose. Of course this time it was, but I wouldn't want people reading this thread to get the idea that it's OK to knock someone's ball into the woods or whatever just because it came near them. Probably every one of us has at one time or another accidentally hit one close to others because of a misjudgement of distance, or we hit it farther than we ever thought we could. An accident is one thing, negligence is another.

Yup. I would of turned around on that par 3 and sent a 3 iron stinger right in his direction!!! Along with some choice words that is unacceptable and shouldn't be tolerated. Plus I am kind of a hot head so it might not turn out so pretty.

You were both in the wrong simple as that.

However at least from your side you admit you were in the wrong - obviously picking his ball up and tossing it into the lake was neither a mature or sensible way to deal with the situation but you acknowledge that and fair play to you.

The other chap on the other hand should have been tossed off the course. Absolutely no excuse what so ever for hitting into people on a par 3 that's just highly dangerous. It's equally as dangerous doing it on a longer hole but I suppose he could say he mis-judged the distance - that's still absolutely no excuse for doing it mind you.

The only way to handle that situation properly is leave his ball where it is, walk back to the tee box (don't take the buggy) and calmly explain to him that hitting into people in front of him is dangerous, you don't appreciate it and you have reported him to the marshal. Would I have been calm enough to handle the situation that way probably not, but that's the only way it should be handled.

Pretty much sums up what I did the last time something like this happened. Glad no one was hurt. Hitting into people is just reckless. As civil as I try to be when these things come up, I'm glad there usually aren't too many words exchanged as my inner boxer would come out.

Hitting into my group on a Par 4/5? I'd probably let it slide the first time.
Hitting onto a Par 3 with my group standing on the green? Bye-bye, golf ball.

I personally would have picked up his ball on the Par 3 and waited on the next tee box. There is NO reason to hit into someone on a Par 3 - especially if they are on the green...

I would have let them know they can either play through or stop hitting into me on the next tee, and if they chose the second option but continued to do it, i would have probably done something similar.

I would have turned around on the par 3 to let him know I was displeased, then let him play through on the next tee immediately so as to avoid the situation happening again. Along with some choice words about him doing something that is incredibly dangerous, and that if I see him doing it again, I will have words with the course manager about his belligerent behavior. And then proceed to have words with the manager anyways.

Absolutely disgraceful behavior from him, but you probably should have defused the situation a little earlier.

Back