Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep Fairway Wood Review Thread

The 3deep has the aftermarket shaft not the 'made for' PX shaft. If you're not a fan of the shaft this wont matter but its a solid combo for those that like it.

Rtparty I think you'll see a lower flight but I don't see you having issues. swapping shafts, yes, but no issues.

Ron why did you go 13* vs 14.5*? More distances?

If you compare specs on the websites for callaway and projectx, then it's not the same shaft. In fact, the projectx website only shows the pxv tour shaft, which is certainly not the shaft in the 3Deep.

As for loft, yes I went with the 13 for added distance.

If you compare specs on the websites for callaway and projectx, then it's not the same shaft. In fact, the projectx website only shows the pxv tour shaft, which is certainly not the shaft in the 3Deep.

As for loft, yes I went with the 13 for added distance.

Yes, it is. We have even heard this from Callaway. The blue PXv IS the PXv Tour shaft, PX simply doesn't list an R-flex version on their site but the 6.0 and 6.5 matchup. Just because it doesn't have tour painted on it doesn't mean it is not the same shaft. Its no different than some companies ADDING to the paint on the shaft (Adams with the 6M3 Black Tie adds a .1 to the end of the 6M3 but its the same shaft).

I have a Fujikura Blur 55 that I am going to try in it next. We'll see how that one works. I know that if I find the right shaft that this will work well for me.

Yes, it is. We have even heard this from Callaway. The blue PXv IS the PXv Tour shaft, PX simply doesn't list an R-flex version on their site but the 6.0 and 6.5 matchup. Just because it doesn't have tour painted on it doesn't mean it is not the same shaft. Its no different than some companies ADDING to the paint on the shaft (Adams with the 6M3 Black Tie adds a .1 to the end of the 6M3 but its the same shaft).

Maybe i am missing something but if you use the pxv tour spec sheets, none of them match. Callaway shows the 6.0 at 71 and the PX site says 65 for the same 6.0 pxv shaft.

Are all PX shafts made in china?

This exchange about the shaft confuses me. It isn't the same shaft. It is the same shaft. Confused. At the end of the day I don't care which shaft it is, just that I find something that is compatible with me. I guess the bottom line comes down to what we've seen here many times - go hit it and / or get fitted.

This exchange about the shaft confuses me. It isn't the same shaft. It is the same shaft. Confused. I guess the bottom line comes down to what we've seen here many times - go hit it and / or get fitted.

Yes. Until you go hit the club, reading about us talking about the shaft is kinda irrelevant. As Freddie said, for some people it could be a great combo so go hit it and see for yourself. I spent a lot of time with it on the range side by side with my razr fit 3w last night.

Maybe i am missing something but if you use the pxv tour spec sheets, none of them match. Callaway shows the 6.0 at 71 and the PX site says 65 for the same 6.0 pxv shaft.

Are all PX shafts made in china?

I really don't see why this part matters? Lots of things, including many golf shafts, are made in China. Hell half of our country is made in China! Hahahaha

As to the shafts, I was looking at the driver versions. That said, I remember Callaway saying the same thing about the Xhot and Xhot Pro fairways, red was basically a "made for" and the blue was "authentic". The same blue that is in those XHP's is in the 3Deep.

That said, in the end too much is made about "made for" or not, its all about if it fits or not. Just because something isn't "aftermarket" doesn't mean it isn't a good shaft and won't fit a LOT of people, after-all, that is their goal when selecting shafts for heads, fit the mass not the minority.

Now, I'm going to the course to mash my 3Deep. LOL

Is this the reason I couldn't hit it in a regular flex shaft at a demo day?
The callaway rep didn't say they didn't make it with a regular shaft but that must be the case or maybe it's a special order situation.

Last edited:
I agree with your statement about what fits each person individually and aftermarket or not aftermarket. As for stuff made in China, let's not get into that. :)

My razr fit 3w has the stock shaft offering in it and it works fine. It just seems that this shaft doesn't fit me so I'll try another and see if that works better.

Is this the reason I couldn't hit itin a regular flex shaft at a demo day?
The callaway rep didn't say they didn't make it with a regular shaft but that must be thr case or maybe it's a special order situation.

Callaway offers the 5.5, which isn't stiff, but isn't regular. I think it's referred to as "firm". You can easily order a wide variety of shafts right from the Callaway website with whatever option you want.

Is this the reason I couldn't hit it in a regular flex shaft at a demo day?
The callaway rep didn't say they didn't make it with a regular shaft but that must be the case or maybe it's a special order situation.
I have not tried the 3Deep yet but when I tried out the XHots when they came out I could not swing the Drivers for anything the Velocity shaft just felt dead to me. Now the regular fairways on the other hand felt really good. So if I get the 3Deep I plan on getting the Callaway Velocity shaft in it.

Loving my 3 Deep 13*. Hit it off the tee 8 times today and hit 8 fairways ;-}. Now about my putting.......was 1 of 14 on birdie putts today:arrogant:

Loving my 3 Deep 13*. Hit it off the tee 8 times today and hit 8 fairways ;-}. Now about my putting.......was 1 of 14 on birdie putts today:arrogant:

The 3Deep won't help you with your putting. ;)

The 3Deep won't help you with your putting. ;)

I was playing alone and very fast - 93 minute round for a 6,960 yard course. I'm hoping it was the lack of lining things up!

Fun. Club.

Took the 14.5 off the tee three times today, lost them a little high and right, but that will be remedied soon enough.

I spent some time with the XHot today after work. I went to the fitting bays after warming up with irons on a small bucket. I need to backtrack on prior comments about the shafts. First swing was with a regular model, 15* and 5.5 flex, and on a tee that was too high which forced me to hover the club like Kuchar. Flew the ball 230, total distance of 251, SS 89 (I couldn't replicate those numbers, btw) which are at least in the ballpark of, if not better, than my driver numbers but with a few less MPHs. I tried a bunch of different combos - 5.5 and 6.0 with 15*, 14.5* and 13*, regular and 3Deep. The only combo that was bad was the 13* which produced low duck hooks in both 5.5 and 6.0. Everything else was solid. I would need more time and/or a fitting to land on the right combo for me, but my prior feelings and experiences with the shaft were non existent. Ponder on, Wayne.

Last edited:
The only combo that was bad was the 13* which produced low duck hooks in both 5.5 and 6.0. Everything else was solid. I would need more time and/or a fitting to land on the right combo for me, but my prior feelings and experiences with the shaft were non existent. Ponder on, Wayne.

Hmmm maybe I need to go back and try the 14.5 again.

Hmmm maybe I need to go back and try the 14.5 again.
I definitely thought about you. It was very odd how that one loft was just low left and ugly. I wouldn't have been too surprised if it happened in one flex or the other but not both, and not with any other lofts. Weird.

I definitely thought about you. It was very odd how that one loft was just low left and ugly. I wouldn't have been too surprised if it happened in one flex or the other but not both, and not with any other lofts. Weird.

A buddy of mine had the same experience with my 13* when hit hit it on the range so it's not just you. I'm a very high ball hitter so the 13* is fine for me, even out of the fairway, but most golfers will get better results from the 14.5*.

I can't get this club out of my mind.

After an epic battle with a brass tip weight in the stock shaft that wouldn't turn loose and cost me hours of work.

It's Red-Tie time.

Back