TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 Fairway Review Thread

Got in an unplanned round today with a buddy. Still loving this three wood. Nice high bombs off the tee. Hit it twice off the tee today and both were in the center of the fairway a good ways out. Didn't measure but one ran through a dogleg, and passed the only guy who hit driver on that hole.

Hit the 5W twice. Once from the tee, which was just as nice as the 3W, just a little shorter. Didn't measure but the target was 220is and I think I hit that and maybe a little more. Also great off the fairway on a par 5. Really easy to get in the air. I did try to chase one that was down in the rough and ended up topping it a touch, but I certainly don't blame that on the club. So far I'm happy with it. Still need a little bit to get properly acquainted, but today was a great start!

That is good to hear. Glad you got along with it. How much of a difference are you seeing in distance between the 3 and 5 wood?

I've recently hit a lot of 3 woods and can honestly say that this is the best I've ever hit. I absolutely love this. I've never hit a TEE, but I can't believe it gets better than this. I'm pondering a new shaft though...

I had a couple chances to hit the Stage 2 yesterday and I am still really liking this club and its versatility. Off the tee it just performs for me and now I am going to question my club selection off the tee if driver isn't working that particular day. Nice option to have and I need to use it more often but that is the work I am going to do for course management. Still definitely a work in progress.

Off the deck is still iffy for me but I am working at it. Some of my issues off the deck were related to my alignment issues yesterday.

That is good to hear. Glad you got along with it. How much of a difference are you seeing in distance between the 3 and 5 wood?

I'd say about 20 yards. This 5W is comparable to the F5 for me distance wise. Need some more time with it though to get it dialed in. Definitely like the lower profile for hitting off the deck though. If it ever stops raining, I'm going to try and hit the range prior to my league round tomorrow.

Got to play the Stage 2 3W in a scramble this post weekend. I was asked to play because of my tee shots with this club, I think. I steed set up gut. I would tee of first with the Stage 2 and then let everyone take a rip with their drivers. It lasted for 6 holes, but I hit some very nice shots with it. The only one that was not great she first one, after that, they were 260 in the center fairway. But on hole 7, someone jumped up and teed of before me. They hit a nice drive in the fairway, and I finally got my chance to hit my playing partners driver.
That driver took over for the rest of the round. I did not have to worry about playing a safe shot fit the rest of the day.
I will say that the Stage 2 3W is still my favorite club in my bag. Very reliable for me from the tee. And the distance is fantastic. It is the go to club on almost every hole.

Absolutely pummeled these fairway woods off the tee today. Had a lot of opportunities to use them and they both delivered. 5W is pretty easy off the deck if you don't swing like an idiot. Distance on the 5W is compatible to my F5. Hit one into a trap at about 230. Would have rolled through the fairway of I hadn't drawn it in there. No complaints here.

These two clubs are settling quite nicely in my bag. 3W is pretty much my first reach at this point for anything short of requiring driver (~380). I also use it for skinny fairways and basically whenever my confidence in my big stick is nil, which has been more often lately. Off the deck, I've used it a little less since getting the 5W as the 5W is just so easy there. I did hit it off the deck once this weekend on a par 5. 230 out in the rough, but it was sitting up for me. Figured worse case, I'm hitting a short/mid iron in if I miss it vertically. I did neither. Caught it right on the screws and proceeded to hit it off the back of the green (center pin). Suppose next time, I'll be pulling 5W from there! :D Hard to be angry with those results.

Another good weekend for these FWs. Played 45 holes on courses that force you to bag driver for doglegs, odd-length par 4s, etc. Played with a buddy who's one of the bigger hitters I play with normally. His good drives are 15-20 yards past mine regularly. We both pulled 3W a number of times and I was always right with him or even past him on a few holes. Gotta love that. I'm just in a groove right now for some reason where I'm keeping most shots in play with this club. Sure there's the errant shot or two here and there, but mostly just straight lasers off the tee. I'm gonna take the 3W to the range with me and switch back and forth between it and my driver to see if I can carry that swing over to my driver.

The 5W has all but eliminated any need I might have to hit the 3W from the deck. It's long (for me) at 220ish (more on one occasion this weekend but I'm attributing that to the terrain) on good shots and 210ish on just ok strikes. No issues out of the rough unless I shouldn't be hitting a FW anyways... That's what I carry a hybrid for. :D

I know I'm gushing but these are really working for me right now.

Looks like a couple good round with the Stage 2. Nice job. I am loving the 3w.the hybrid is finally coming along. I have thought about the 5w also. That had to be really nice to swing.

Another good weekend for these FWs. Played 45 holes on courses that force you to bag driver for doglegs, odd-length par 4s, etc. Played with a buddy who's one of the bigger hitters I play with normally. His good drives are 15-20 yards past mine regularly. We both pulled 3W a number of times and I was always right with him or even past him on a few holes. Gotta love that. I'm just in a groove right now for some reason where I'm keeping most shots in play with this club. Sure there's the errant shot or two here and there, but mostly just straight lasers off the tee. I'm gonna take the 3W to the range with me and switch back and forth between it and my driver to see if I can carry that swing over to my driver.

The 5W has all but eliminated any need I might have to hit the 3W from the deck. It's long (for me) at 220ish (more on one occasion this weekend but I'm attributing that to the terrain) on good shots and 210ish on just ok strikes. No issues out of the rough unless I shouldn't be hitting a FW anyways... That's what I carry a hybrid for. :D

I know I'm gushing but these are really working for me right now.

Glad the 3 and 5 wood are working out for you. I finally hit a 5 wood at a demo day and they didn't have a 5 wood shaft for the Tour version so I had to hit it with a 3 wood shaft. I didn't hit it particularly well--dispersion was all over the place and was hitting it super high.

No driver anymore. The club pro was dumbfounded when he fit me for the 913 and my 3-wood was further. Epic.

Looks like a couple good round with the Stage 2. Nice job. I am loving the 3w.the hybrid is finally coming along. I have thought about the 5w also. That had to be really nice to swing.

Thanks! I'm enjoying both quite a bit.

Glad the 3 and 5 wood are working out for you. I finally hit a 5 wood at a demo day and they didn't have a 5 wood shaft for the Tour version so I had to hit it with a 3 wood shaft. I didn't hit it particularly well--dispersion was all over the place and was hitting it super high.

I'll be honest with you. The first time I hit this on the course I thought I would lose distance for sure when I saw how high it was going. Turns out I'm not losing any though. Last week, I played the back 9 on my home course before league. There's a sharp dogleg left that I always used to hit 5W on and was usually right in the center of the fairway. Hit with the S2 5W and hit through the fairway! Re-teed and slowed down a bit, leaving me with about 10 feet of short stuff before the first cut. Distance is quite solid for me with the 5W. Seeing the same off the deck minus a few yards for the most part.

No driver anymore. The club pro was dumbfounded when he fit me for the 913 and my 3-wood was further. Epic.

Epic indeed!

That is epic. Amazing.

Thanks! I'm enjoying both quite a bit.

I'll be honest with you. The first time I hit this on the course I thought I would lose distance for sure when I saw how high it was going. Turns out I'm not losing any though. Last week, I played the back 9 on my home course before league. There's a sharp dogleg left that I always used to hit 5W on and was usually right in the center of the fairway. Hit with the S2 5W and hit through the fairway! Re-teed and slowed down a bit, leaving me with about 10 feet of short stuff before the first cut. Distance is quite solid for me with the 5W. Seeing the same off the deck minus a few yards for the most part.

Epic indeed!

Yeah, I would have probably given it another chance, but I wasn't enamored with the guys doing the Demo Day and I hit an X Hot Pro 5 wood with a Blueboard not long after and loved it.

Epic indeed!

That is epic. Amazing.

Yeah, I can't see myself getting a driver at least until next year. I love this thing. However, I'm struggling a bit off the deck. Contact is good, but I'm getting a bit of a slice sometimes that I don't get off the tee...

3W became a driver replacement for me this weekend when I got tired and my driver started to fail me. I think these fairway woods just fit my swing but the best description I can give us effortless distance off the tee. The 3W was going just a few yards shorter than my driver with way better misses. It really is a nice safety net to have in the bag. Would love to get one of these in a 13.

Same still stands for the 5W. My only gripe with it is that I'm never certain exactly how far it will go. Sometimes it's 210-220 and others its much longer. It is my go to club when I absolutely have to hit a fairway though. I picked up a hybrid that should fit into the same slot on a whim, but even with the distance concerns it has a tough spot to fill.

Completely forgot to mention that this club filled in for my driver while out for repair very nicely while in Branson. Didn't feel like I missed the driver much at all and was a great time.

Completely forgot to mention that this club filled in for my driver while out for repair very nicely while in Branson. Didn't feel like I missed the driver much at all and was a great time.

This has been my driver most of the time this year. I have played so little with the driver for the last 4 monthes that I hardly ever use it any more. I am still really high on this club. It is so easy to hit long with control.

This has been my driver most of the time this year. I have played so little with the driver for the last 4 monthes that I hardly ever use it any more. I am still really high on this club. It is so easy to hit long with control.

Are you trying to tell me you have had a driver this whole year in your bag and never played it?!!

Are you trying to tell me you have had a driver this whole year in your bag and never played it?!!
The only driver I hit this year even close the the amount that I hit my Stage 2 3w is the drivers in your bag.

The only driver I hit this year even close the the amount that I hit my Stage 2 3w is the drivers in your bag.

True, and with the exception of the cleveland none provided enough benefit if IIRC

I didn't get in on the testing, but I did demo the 15 deg 3W at the range today. I had grown tired of fighting with my current 3W. It was great for a while, but it's just been so inconsistant for me. I got frustrated and took a collection of FWs with me to the range today, a couple re-treads from my attic, and a couple borrowed from friends bags, and two demo RBZ's from the club pro at the course. I was starting to think my problem was purely me, because I just was having a terrible time hitting any of them off the deck with any kind of consistency. I would hit my irons or driver periodically for a break, and they were all fine. I didn't know if I had a mental problem or what. I picked up a demo RBZ Stage 2 15 deg, and commenced to hitting long, straight, high bombs off the deck. It was so easy. It was waaaaaayyyy more forgiving than my Mizuno, which had been my best option for a while, and just as long. I never thought I'd see a FW as long as the MP Titanium, but the RBZ gets it out there like a boss. If it was flushed, it was a solid 250 club. If I didn't put a good move on, it was shorter, but still got out OK and in the right general direction. After a couple dozen balls, I was on my way into the shop to order one. It was a decision that didn't require much thought at all. When I walked into the shop, the club pro just smiled and asked me if I wanted the 15 or the 17 degree club. He'd been watching and saw how I hit it and knew I would be getting one. The 15 is on the way, and I'm looking forward to having a 3W I can feel confident in.

I don't think you will be disappointed. It had been a fantastic club for me. Favorite wood in the bag since the start of testing. Good luck with it.

I ended up trading this and purchasing 14.5* 3 deep. For me it was a pretty decent wood off the tee, on average was getting about 210 carry w a 225 total, however I would every now and then push right. It was a really good wood, enjoy.

I'm pondering the 15 or the 17. Have a moderate swing speed. Want to use it primarily off the tee. Want to compliment it with the S2 19 or 22 hybrid. I hit my 4 iron 170. Obviously regular flex. Which loft combo makes the best sense: 15, 19, or 17, 22. 4 iron loft is 23.
Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express

Back