2013 US Open Contest - Seriously Limited & Seriously Long W/ THP & Wilson Golf

Got mine in. This will be fun, a little stake in the game. Hopefully one of my picks is in the hunt.

Got my two picks in. Probably the same two as quite a few others. Here's a hint, their initials sound like TW & MK.

Unless you picked Tom Watson, you might want to check the rules again.....

Picks are in. Thanks to THP and Wilson!

My entry is in. Should be a great U.S. Open. Hope my guys end up in a playoff!

Excellent. Got my entry in.

Entry sent via email...

Good luck everyone!!!

Entry has been sent!

What a great contest! Entry sent.

I'm in it to win it!
ujuna8y3.jpg

ujyba2up.jpg

Edit: upon thinking about it for another 5 seconds, I realized the show is "Minute to Win It." And I also have my picks in. :D

Thank You!

Thank You!

As if the Open isn't exciting enough, now everyone who enters your contest will have a big something extra riding on the outcome - a beautiful and extremely limited new set of Wilson D100s.

13_0654_D100_US_Ope%23C12000A-L.jpg

Entry in. After much deliberation I decided to go obvious and boring with my picks. I think there are going to be multiple ties in this contest.

Last edited:
Entry sent, can't wait for this thing to start.

Entry in. After much deliberation I decided to go obvious and boring with my picks. I think there is going to be a multiple ties in this contest.

I went with boring picks as well. It'll probably be a combination of players that is off the wall that wins.

I got my picks in. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out. Awesome contest from THP and Wilson. Huge thanks to both for doing this!!!

So I went to Merion today to watch some action before the US Open officially starts. I had a freaking fantastic day out there and learned a ton about the course. I got to see some good action from a plethora of different players and got to see every hole except for 15, 16, and 17. First, some thoughts on each hole on the front 9 (unfortunately I only spent a few minutes on the back 9, so I didn’t learn a ton about it):

1 – A solid starting hole here. Go over the left-to-right dogleg with a wood if you’re feeling dangerous, but either way not a hard approach in. I saw some very makeable birdie putts there today.
2 – Pretty boring hole here. Medium-length, short par 4. Keep it in the fairway and you should be fine.
3 – I loved this hole. An up-the-hill par 3, leaving it short on the upslope in some rough growing down the hill will give you a really tough pitch to make par.
4 – A really long par 5 that I doubt anyone will reach in two. A semi-blind tee shot should lead to a layup and then a wedge in. The last 125 yards of fairway or so leading up to the green are on a downhill slope, so if that’s holding golf balls it could make the third a bit tough. Water all down the left may grab some shots too.
5 – A really long, really tough par 4. Moving slightly right to left, the fairway slopes down from the right towards that same water from #5. I saw guys hitting fairway woods into this green today. It will be tough and I see a lot of 5s and 6s or worse.
6 – A hole very similar to #2, it is straight and pretty basic. Hit the fairway and you’ll be fine, though missing just 10-15 yards right could leave the guys in an incredibly muddy and trampled area. That could lead to some 5s.
7 – The easiest hole I saw out there today. Guys were hitting irons off the tee to the 100-125 range then putting wedge shots close. Out of 9 or 10 guys I watched play it, I probably saw 7-8 birdie looks inside 10 feet. I expect birdies galore here.
8 – Second easiest I saw, It is similar to #7. Short and straight, guys will hit iron-wedge in and probably make a lot of birdies.
9 – The toughest hole I saw out there today, nine is a long, downhill par 3. It will probably play from 225-250 throughout the week, and there is water short and to the left. I bet we see a lot of 5s there this week.
I also spent a couple of hours at the practice facility watching the guys hit balls, hit wedges, and putt. Some random thoughts on random players from that time:

The Good:
-DJ was hitting wedges tight the whole time I watched. If he can hit it in the fairways and his wedge game shows up, he could light it up.
-Sang Moon Bae was just all around fantastic. He was hitting a ton of short irons on the range and was peppering the flag sticks (or wicker baskets in this case). He was also draining tons of putts on the practice green.
-Sneds was putting it well (no surprises there).
-Robert Karlsson was BOMBING his driver. Long and on a rope every time. Every time, it was point and shoot. If he hits it like that this week, he’ll be dangerous because he’ll be able to hit driver even on the short holes and set up birdies.
-Some amateur from Temple was striping his 3 wood. It was fun to watch.

The Bad:
-I saw Paul Casey miss the same 8 foot putt 9 times in a row. Not even joking. At that point even I could have made one or two.
-Keegan’s swing was all over the place today. Could hit his irons straight to save his life and whined about it the whole time.
-Charley Hoffman hit 4 sand shots in a row fat. 2 of them didn’t even get out of the bunker. After that he proceeded to blade one over the green, fence, and almost into a bus.

Now just for some general thoughts about the course:
-The rough is pretty spotty from what I saw. Really tough and brutal in spots, but in others guys were having no trouble getting out.
-These greens are incredibly diabolical. In some spots they don’t look like they’ll break much and they do, but in others they look like they’ll break a lot and they don’t. And everything in between. Guys are going to be misreading a lot of putts, I think.
-Guys are probably really going to struggle if the greens change speed throughout the week. If they start to dry out and get faster as time goes on, guys will struggle with the long putts a lot. There are so many different tiers and big slopes and undulations in these greens that will be tough even if they stay consistent speed-wise.

I can’t wait for the US Open! Pictures:

http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/damaikis/library/Golf Courses/Merion- 2013 US Open

Awesome write up. Should be an interesting weekend with some low scores!

Alright my picks are in, finally after much back and forth. Thanks to THP and Wilson for this opportunity!

Almost forgot to send this in. Have a feeling I just jinxed a lot of peoples' picks.

Wow, another great contest! Thanks to THP & Wilson!

Back