the boss

golf addict help me!!
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm looking at changing my 3W testing a few today I didnt find anything I hit consistently well, my pro suggested trying a 2H to gap my driver and 3H, I was hitting it well and consistent I'm seriously thinking about swapping has anyone else gone down this route?

I tried it for a little bit. It worked ok but my issue was that the hybrid wasn't the same as the rest of my set which I didn't like

I tried a Cleveland Mashie #2 for about a month. I didn't get the height I wanted. I no longer carry a 3-wood but the R11S adjusts enough for me, and the RBZ #4 gives me the hybrid distance I need.

Good luck in filling the gap.

I dont always get the 3W up and lose distance, I dont pull my 3W I always go to my 3H because it's safer maybe go with a 2H.

What about a 4W or 5W?

I use a 3W, 2H setup and then a 4i next. This is based on my home course. The 3W and 2H are specifically used on the tee box. A few Par 4's call for it. I usually don't find myself outside of 4i range.

However, the Cleveland Mashie hybrid generates so much backspin for me I'm pretty good at controlling the distance and dialing it down to 3H yardage, if necessary. It's harder for me to control the 5W yardage, but on full swings the 2H and 5W are very close on overall distances for me.

Based on what I stated, do you forsee using the 2H often and for what purpose?

What about a 4W or 5W?

I use a 3W, 2H setup and then a 4i next. This is based on my home course. The 3W and 2H are specifically used on the tee box. A few Par 4's call for it. I usually don't find myself outside of 4i range.

However, the Cleveland Mashie hybrid generates so much backspin for me I'm pretty good at controlling the distance and dialing it down to 3H yardage, if necessary. It's harder for me to control the 5W yardage, but on full swings the 2H and 5W are very close on overall distances for me.

Based on what I stated, do you forsee using the 2H often and for what purpose?

Off the tee and par 5's

I game a 3W and 2h. My only hesitation with your pro's suggestion is these clubs do not cover the same distances. 3W are typically 15*. I think the XHot Pro 2h is like 16* but that is the exception, I think they are more commonly like a 5W or7W in terms of loft. If the 2h fills the gap appropriately for you then go for it.

There are some 15* hybrids.

I found an adams super hybrid in golftown that was 15* and gave the same distances as my 3 wood.

Traded it to my dad who still plays it as I find that I only tend to hit 3w off the tee or the fairway anyways and I hit it fine there

Off the tee and par 5's

Are you a long hitter? Do you generally find yourself needing a long club like a 2H on approach shots? Just trying to understand this gapping issue.

I go 2 and 3 hybrids and don't carry fairway woods. It works well for me. I find that I only used the fw off the tee where as now I have a 2h and get more use out of it. Also I don't hit fw's very well and hybrids just work for me.

I used to think that with a few 3 woods I had I couldn't hit them but I've finally found a few that have worked well for me and the AMP Cell that's coming I know will be great off the tee and turf.

I think in the end it's all about finding one you like and can hit well!

I'm looking at changing my 3W testing a few today I didnt find anything I hit consistently well, my pro suggested trying a 2H to gap my driver and 3H, I was hitting it well and consistent I'm seriously thinking about swapping has anyone else gone down this route?

I've kind of gone down this route. I use a 2H to fill the gap left by my 2-iron and 3-iron. This is what my consistent yardages look like:

Driver: 280

3-Wood: 250

2-Hybrid: 240
2-Hybrid: 230 As you can see my 2 Hybrid is the most versatile club in my bag.
2-Hybrid: 220
2-Hybrid: 210

3-iron: 210
4-iron: 200
5-iron: 190
6-iron: 180
7-iron: 170
8-iron: 160
9-iron: 150

PW: 130
52*: 120
56*: 110
60*: 90

Absolutely love my 2 hybrid! I don't like 3 - woods.

Top of my bag is a little unorthodox; Driver, then 3 hybrid. Off the tee, my drive is pretty straight, so the 3h is more a fairway club. What gap are you looking to fill?

Although I've considered it, haven't tried it yet. If anything, I've thought about adding a 2H to the bag for fairway/rough work, while keeping my 3W for tee shots and maybe eliminating a wedge, since I almost never use my 60 anymore. I'll be interested to see what you decide and how it works out.

I carry a 14* 3W and and 18* 2H

The 2h can be a deadly weapon in the right hands. Unfortunately, those hands do not belong to me. I've asked a lot of fitters and OEM guys about 2h vs 3w and they've said that 3w gets a bit more air, a bit longer, and more forgiving. The 2h is more workable and very nearly as long (assuming lofts are similar). Of course, it all doesn't matter if you happen to hit one better than the other. All part of the randomness of golf clubs.

I personally game a 14.5* 3w then an 18.5* 3h. I wouldn't even have the 3w if it wasn't for a ridiculous deal on the shaft I wanted and a used demo 3w.

2h. Shorter shaft=more consistant (at least it does for me)

I just put a 2H in the bag this year and have been very pleased with the results, long and easy to hit off the deck. I feel more comfortable off the tee with my three wood though. I usually pick and choose what to throw in the bag.

After a few head to head tests I have gone the 2h route that's my bag complete when it turns up.

I picked up an RBZ 2H a month ago. The 2H is only available in "Tour" edition, so it has a heavier shaft.

I can't hit a 3W off the deck, and so far I cannot hit the 2H off the deck either. I think that it would be better if it had the similar lighter shaft that my other RBZ rescues have. I'll give it a couple more tries, though.

I really like my Mashie F3 of the tee. And I keep forgetting to hit the 2H off the tee to compare. Maybe at the range this weekend.

I have been striping my 3-wood lately, fairway or off the tee. I also have a love/hate thing with my hybrid. I am thinking of trying out the new driving irons by Callaway and Titleist.

FWIW; starting out again, and was a 100 shooter anyway...picked up a older Cobra 3w speed LD. I was suprised that it worked for me ! enough so that after only one round I was pulling it out to use quite a few times, fairway several and definatly off the tee (teed low at that). Perhaps you can find the same or similar older model to borrow and try out.

I picked up an RBZ 2H a month ago. The 2H is only available in "Tour" edition, so it has a heavier shaft.

I can't hit a 3W off the deck, and so far I cannot hit the 2H off the deck either. I think that it would be better if it had the similar lighter shaft that my other RBZ rescues have. I'll give it a couple more tries, though.

I really like my Mashie F3 of the tee. And I keep forgetting to hit the 2H off the tee to compare. Maybe at the range this weekend.

My 2H will have the same shaft as my 3/4H which is a bonus but I have to wait for Ping to make it.

I haven't carried a 3 wood or fairway wood for that matter in 15 years. Currently I go from driver to 2 Hybrid. I hit the 2 Hybrid consistently about 280 yards and use it off the tee on drivable par 4's less than 300 yards and off the fairway on long par 5's. I am waiting to here back from KBS on Hybrid shaft tipping and I am going to try a steel shaft in the hybrid that matches my irons. I hit my hybrid more like an iron than a wood so I am going to try the steel shaft.

Back