bogeyme

The Golf GODS hate me
Reaction score
Handicap
High
I know most everyone uses soap/water and a little elbow grease, JB uses the Mr Clean think. But we (my wife and I) picked up some SOS pads and I seen that they had golf clubs on the back. Has anyone ever used SOS pads to clean their clubs? Would you think it will scratch them anymore than a club brush does?

Aren't SOS pads actually steel wool? I would think they'd leave fine scratches on painted clubs (crowns on woods and hybrids), as well as chrome finishes on irons.

I use an old Dobi sponge/scrub thingy that I'd retire from washing dishes with, along with dish soap and wooden toothpicks for the grooves. Works really well for me.

Aren't SOS pads actually steel wool? I would think they'd leave fine scratches on painted clubs (crowns on woods and hybrids), as well as chrome finishes on irons.

I use an old Dobi sponge/scrub thingy that I'd retire from washing dishes with, along with dish soap and wooden toothpicks for the grooves. Works really well for me.

That's kind of what I was thinking too. That's why I wanted to ask before I ruined my clubs.

I use the Mr. Clean magic eraser and a soft vegetable brush - mine is shaped like a potato. Thanks to Gummi's suggestion - I now use Dawn and a soft cloth on the grips.

I use a nylon bristled brush and a Scotchbrite pad for the stubborn stuff on the face (as well as the grips) and of course the Dawn soap.

Pay attention to the chemicals in some cleaners, and their reaction to your grips and finishes on your clubs. Many of the Winn grips are sensitive to most cleansers (including water)

As Gummi said, some cleaners and soaps are bad for grips.

Per cluhead, just soak in warm soapy water. Usually loosens things up and use a soft nylon brush.

I have started to use the magic eraser on my clubheads, after reading a tip here @ THP. We had them in the house for cleaning the tub anyways! I get the coarse dirt of them first, with a damp towel, then swipe them with the eraser, then dry them off. I have not noticed any serious damage on the clubs yet, except that the eraser does seem to affect the dull sand-blasted finish on the faces of two of my cheap wedges somewhat.

Warm soapy water with works great for heads and grips. I use a toothbrush. It gets into the hard to reach places and won't damage or scratch anything.

Warm soapy water with works great for heads and grips. I use a toothbrush. It gets into the hard to reach places and won't damage or scratch anything.

That's exactly what I do.

Ditto. I also use the Magic Eraser and Dawn with warm water on grips. I clean after every round or practice session.

Plain old water and an old tooth brush.

Mountains and mole hills folks.

Mine get a nice soapy bath if they treated me well. If they did not, they get to stay locked in my hard, dark truck box until I forgive them. Usually that is two or three days max.

I have a nylon bristle grill brush I use on my irons, very stiff and it takes the dirt out of the grooves instantly after they soak for a minute. Also use watered down windex on my grips, it leaves them a little tacky after they dry, like new grips.

I let the guys at the club clean them for a few bucks. I am too lazy to do it myself and I feel good about paying the kids that work there and them helping them through school.

I had never thought about using SOS pads on my clubs. Yes, I think it would scratch them up, I wouldn't do it.

I just use whatever dish washing detergent we have next to the sink and a stiff plastic bristle brush. I fill the sink with warm water, soak the heads for a while and then scrub away!

If I'm doing a "major" cleaning, I will also deal with any loose ferrules with a bit of epoxy (the warm water soak is ideal for identifying any ferrules that aren't tightly fitted).

-JP

What about those stupid stickers that all over the club when you buy one retail? For the life of me I cant figure why they keep putting paper stickers on golf clubs that are hard to get off. What do you guys use to get all the sticky gunk off? I always take the stickers off that say the price for instance and they never come off clean.

What about those stupid stickers that all over the club when you buy one retail? For the life of me I cant figure why they keep putting paper stickers on golf clubs that are hard to get off. What do you guys use to get all the sticky gunk off? I always take the stickers off that say the price for instance and they never come off clean.

Goof off works great for those and their adhesives.

Goo Gone.

Hot air (blow dryer) and then wipe the residue of with WD-40. That or "goof off" some stores sell. If you are buying the in store, have the store person clean them for you. It's part of their job anyway under customer satisfaction.
Kevin™;152984 said:

Cool I'll have to look for one of those. Ho(me) Depot?

Goof Off and Goo Gone are magical products, however, they will dull the finish on painted surfaces (and ultimately remove the paint I discovered), so be gentle with them. They're fine on chrome.

Another easy fix for cleaning off the adhesive left by stickers is to use hairspray. The solvent in it works fine for small jobs.

Another easy fix for cleaning off the adhesive left by stickers is to use hairspray. The solvent in it works fine for small jobs.

Nail polish remover, too, but be careful with that. It can remove some finishes.

Back