Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is all about when you lose rather than who you lose to unfortunately. I mean if TX or UF were to lose to a ranked team right now, they would be passed by USC. Why? They would have lost to a ranked team and had the same record. The polls are absurd.

I still contend that quite a bit of the polls (which are useless other than debate until the last one) is about where you are ranked pre-season. The higher you are ranked in the pre-season (USC) the better you are looked at if something goes wrong later in the season. If Iowa was in the top-10 pre-season, they would probably be 4 or 5 right now instead of 7 or 8. Weeks 1 & 2 they had ugly wins and were dropped. Should they be top 5? Heck no. But they keep winning games. Of course as we established before, nothing matters until the end. It usually works itself out. I still wish we had a playoff though.

Speaking of polls, I am curious about how the other view the polls. Do you think of them as who are the best teams for that week, or who has the best body of work for the season thus far? So if you had a vote, would you maybe look at this week and say that Texas had a dominating win, where Florida and Alabama did not, so for this week you vote them #1, since you feel they were the best team this week? Or do you look at Florida and say a win is a win and they have been the best overall team week in and week out?

STL,
I agree except one thing. If UF, TX, or Alabama lost right now to a ranked team they would be behind USC with the same record and a loss to an unranked team. And they were ranked higher in the preseason.

Very true. That is where the debate comes in on how a voter views the polls. If USC wins, then they could argue that they were better that week so they will be voted ahead that week (their argument, not mine). Once the precedence is set, they will continue to stay behind until something big happens. A lot of it would depend on who the opponent was. It would be real interesting to see what would happen if Texas were to lose this week at Okie St. OSU only has one loss, Texas would have one loss, I can guarantee OSU would not be ranked above Texas. But you are right, Texas would certainly drop behind USC. The interesting question would be if they came in below LSU. Why does this happen? I can't really answer that. I would love to have a vote that matters so I could go through the thought process.

I can remember 10-15 years ago there were almost mini polls within the polls. The 0 loss teams, 1 loss teams, 2 loss teams, etc., were all sorted amongst each other. If you were the last team to get 1 loss, you might get filtered down behind 4-5 other teams with one loss just because you were the last to lose. It isn't quite that way anymore, but it gets close.

Strength of schedule should really matter, and that is the problem, it does not hold enough weight anymore. A 1 loss SEC team is better than a 1 loss PAC 10, Big 10, ACC, or Big East team. Will it come down that way? Not sure.

But to think that if both UF and Alabama would be undefeated going into SEC championship and one would lose and fall behind USC is baffling.

It is when you lose more than who you lose to unfortunately.

This story from Yahoo explains a lot. I can't remember if it was referenced here already or somewhere else I was looking at. It is unfortunate that no one cares about scheduling anymore. There used to be some great debates about it. You had to schedule tough out of conference if you wanted any respect at the end (made for some great games too). If you lost, you better hope it wasn't to a team with a losing record. The teams that had a 1-AA game got no respect at all, now it is the norm. If multiple teams had 1 loss, it came down to who lost to whom and where. You're right though. It is almost like they just look at the records and not who you played at all.

A playoff would cure all.

Iowa-Fricken-State!!!:banghead:

I'm still holding out the hope that Oregon can beat USC. It's at Autzen, so at least they'll have the crowd.

Oh, they will. Go Ducks! :bananadance:

Oh, they will. Go Ducks! :bananadance:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo! :D

I love the crowd there - it's just deafening when that starts. :banana:

Oregon has been getting better and better each week, and their defense is great. USC gave up 36 points and over 400 yards to Oregon State last week. I predict a Ducks win tomorrow: 35-27

Go Ducks!

I hope they win - then we could put all this USC vs someone talk to bed for good. Plus it would be fun to rub it in on our Promotions & Distribution manager in the office - he's a USC alumni. :bananadance:

I had a hunch that something big would happen today. This isn't the game I thought would be big though. Indiana is running over Iowa right now. We'll see if they keep it up or if Iowa can come back like they have in a bunch of games so this season. Iowa is just flat as if they could care what happens.

Ndamukong Suh for Heisman! Dude is all over the field again today.

The Georgia Center does did one of the smartest things I have seen and I don't know why it isn't much more common.

Florida was offsides and before they could get back, the Center snapped the ball - and he knew the QB wasn't ready for it, so he just held the ball in place until the QB figured out what was going on. Easy 5 yards for Georgia. Next play, TD.

Looks like Georgia is finally finding its rhythm against Florida.

I had a hunch that something big would happen today. This isn't the game I thought would be big though. Indiana is running over Iowa right now. We'll see if they keep it up or if Iowa can come back like they have in a bunch of games so this season. Iowa is just flat as if they could care what happens.

Iowa flat out killed them in the 4th.

The Georgia Center does did one of the smartest things I have seen and I don't know why it isn't much more common.

Florida was offsides and before they could get back, the Center snapped the ball - and he knew the QB wasn't ready for it, so he just held the ball in place until the QB figured out what was going on. Easy 5 yards for Georgia. Next play, TD.

Looks like Georgia is finally finding its rhythm against Florida.

This one could be good. This is always a huge rivalry game played at a semi-neutral field. UF should still win this one though.

This one could be good. This is always a huge rivalry game played at a semi-neutral field. UF should still win this one though.

I didn't realize it was at a neutral field.

The 56 yard FG didn't help UGA . . .

and Tebow just ran for a TD and broke Herschel Walker's rushing TD record.

It is held in Jax and while closer to UF than to UGA, it has always been called a neutral game. In fact the tix sales are usually about dead even as well although this year it looks to be a little more UF fans.

The game is called "The worlds biggest cocktail party".

It should be called "Lots and Lots of people wearing Jorts"

UF took care of business
Texas took care of business

USC is losing and that may take care of their argument once and for all (AGAIN)

USC is losing and that may take care of their argument once and for all (AGAIN)

Except that they are USC, so their 2 loss record must be at least as good as everyone else's 1 loss record . . . maybe even 0 loss records! So what if one of those losses was to Washington!

Except that they are USC, so their 2 loss record must be at least as good as everyone else's 1 loss record . . . maybe even 0 loss records! So what if one of those losses was to Washington!

You got that right. Like I have said all along. The polls are now all about when you lose rather than who you lose to.

Ducks now up by 21 with 14 minutes left.

Great game by the Ducks! I hope they're ranked 6th or better.

Great game by the Ducks! I hope they're ranked 6th or better.

They have played a great game. But that would mean being ahead of quite a few teams that have no losses. They beat a 1 loss team last night despite where they were ranked.

The fact that they are still 12th is actually sickening to me. Really? WHo have they beaten? But the good news is that they are done and will not be a factor at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back