Sales to Teaching (Career Change)

codybwallace

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok guys. Help me out here. You guys are the most diverse group of friends that I have. I would love to hear some thoughts from you and have some discussions about this.

I am completely burnt out on sales. I graduated college in 2006 and have been in sales basically the entire time. I graduated with a major in PR and a minor in Business. I never knew exactly what I wanted to do, but I really wanted to be a teacher in high school. I was just turned off of a teaching career because of the low salary. I make decent money in sales, but nothing extraordinary. With a Master’s degree in Education, I would be earning about 10K less starting out teaching.

My priorities have seriously changed in the last couple of years. I met a girl, started dating, got married and now I have a different outlook on life. I overheard another salesman at a conference last year tell someone that did not want be remembered in life for the amount of products he sold, but that he was a good father to his children. While I do not have children, this made me start thinking about my life. I could care less about selling products. I want to be remembered for helping people, changing lives and being a great person.

My sales job keeps me away from my family more than I would like. My current company offers no retirement benefits. I do not like my career. I am constantly in a poor mood. I do not get but two weeks off a year, and that will never increase based on years of service. I am just burnt out.

As a teacher I would get to help kids/young adults. I would really like to teach business or social studies. I want to teach these kids something practical that they will use for the rest of their lives. Not to say that other subjects are not used, but I am enthusiastic about business, communication and social sciences. My wife is also a teacher, and we would share the same time off. We would have the summers and vacations together. I would get to spend more time with my parents, as they have just entered into retirement. While the pay is less, the benefits are much better than what I have now. The main thing is that when I come home from work at the end of the day, there is a possibility that I enriched someones life today instead of selling some worthless product that will be replaced in a couple of years.

Thanks Guys.

I'm you now. Was in dead end Job went to school for masters in education with social studies. No jobs. None. Unless you have good connections. Go into science math or special ed. Otherwise be stressed out from job searching.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'm you now. Was in dead end Job went to school for masters in education with social studies. No jobs. None. Unless you have good connections. Go into science math or special ed. Otherwise be stressed out from job searching.

That is crazy. I live in a very rural town and there are two SS openings and one business education opening all within 15 miles of me.

How did you get your Master's degree? With me having my BA already in another degree, I can use an Alternative Masters program and come out with an A Certification or I can just get certified as a teacher and get a B Certification. About $6K difference, but possibly much quicker.

Sounds like your mind has been made up already!

I left a job that I was in for 7 years and had a good future doing it making plenty of money but at the end of the day I was miserable, and waking up to go to work got to the point that it almost made me sick thinking about it. I quit and spent a year travelling and working part time until I figured out what I wanted to do. I got into a commercial sales manager position and while I wouldn't go around saying that every day is perfect but I work for a great company, with mostly great people and there is plenty of room for growth in my industry in the future. The way I look at it is this; When we are all gone nobody is going to remember how much money we had in our bank account people are going to remember the times you spent with them. Do you want people to remember someone who was constantly in a poor mood?

In this situation you have to figure out what is more important, money or happiness. I chose the latter and have never looked back.

It sounds like an open and shut case. You need to pursue a career in teaching. I understand exactly what you are saying, and if you are that unhappy, and uninspired in your current career, then it's time to go do something where you ARE inspired and can be happy. You may not make as much money as a teacher, but you will be happy and can still lead a very financially secure life. My advice is sit down with your wife and make sure that you are both on the same page and moving in the same direction as far as your career goes. Not that you necessarily need her permission, but you don't want to come home one evening and say ,"honey, I've quit my job" either. Remember, a marriage is a partnership, hopefully she'll share your sentiments about you wanting to feel good about what you do and helping people. Actually, I wouldn't quit your current job until you've landed the teaching job you would really like. That puts time and every advantage in your court. If you quit first, you may find yourself settling for a teaching job that you don't really want. Good Luck and God Speed.

Wow, sounds like burn-out is in your near future based upon your sentiments. If you are good at sales (which I would assume you are if you have lasted 7 years) why not seek out another sales opportunity that provides better benefits, quality of life, and a product or service htat has more impact on other peoples lives'? I recruit sales people for a living, and finding someone with the right personality and mentality to manage a sales career is the most difficult part of my job. I sourced 1500 people last year, and only 1.1% made it through to becoming part of our company, so I guess my point to this story is, there are sales opportunities out there that are like teaching, yet can provide the financial and quality of life rewards that you are seeking.
Hope my ramblings help...

It sounds like an open and shut case. You need to pursue a career in teaching. I understand exactly what you are saying, and if you are that unhappy, and uninspired in your current career, then it's time to go do something where you ARE inspired and can be happy. You may not make as much money as a teacher, but you will be happy and can still lead a very financially secure life. My advice is sit down with your wife and make sure that you are both on the same page and moving in the same direction as far as your career goes. Not that you necessarily need her permission, but you don't want to come home one evening and say ,"honey, I've quit my job" either. Remember, a marriage is a partnership, hopefully she'll share your sentiments about you wanting to feel good about what you do and helping people. Actually, I wouldn't quit your current job until you've landed the teaching job you would really like. That puts time and every advantage in your court. If you quit first, you may find yourself settling for a teaching job that you don't really want. Good Luck and God Speed.

Thanks Tex. The wife and I are in complete agreement. She is such a wonderful person, and it is through her that I realize how much I am missing out on as a person.

The main problem that I have right now is that I am not certified to be a teacher. There are several great positions in my small town, but I am not sure how to approach them without a certification. My wife taught with teacher a year ago that had a temporary certification, and that teacher is now certified. Basically she got the job, started teaching and was certified through her teaching. I am waiting on more details about that process.

Wow, sounds like burn-out is in your near future based upon your sentiments. If you are good at sales (which I would assume you are if you have lasted 7 years) why not seek out another sales opportunity that provides better benefits, quality of life, and a product or service htat has more impact on other peoples lives'? I recruit sales people for a living, and finding someone with the right personality and mentality to manage a sales career is the most difficult part of my job. I sourced 1500 people last year, and only 1.1% made it through to becoming part of our company, so I guess my point to this story is, there are sales opportunities out there that are like teaching, yet can provide the financial and quality of life rewards that you are seeking.
Hope my ramblings help...

I am sure that the company and product have a lot to do with my recent state of mind, but I never wanted to be in sales to begin with. This is just a career that started for me in the background. I worked for just a couple of months after graduation as a Project Manager, and the next thing I knew I was the Account Executive. That type of position has been me for the last seven years, and I am not a fan. Sales are great, and I really feel that I am a great salesman. I give 100% to whatever I do, and my current job is no different. I just really do not feel complete doing what I am doing.

That is crazy. I live in a very rural town and there are two SS openings and one business education opening all within 15 miles of me.

How did you get your Master's degree? With me having my BA already in another degree, I can use an Alternative Masters program and come out with an A Certification or I can just get certified as a teacher and get a B Certification. About $6K difference, but possibly much quicker.

I did an alt program as well. Don't get me wrong I've went to plenty of interviews. Just as a 29 year old with little to no teaching experience with a matters you'll be hard pressed to contend with 22 year olds with bachelors (they don't have to pay as much) or out of work experienced teachers. My masters I feel is a hindrance almost. I'm in the process of getting science certified and special ed.

Another option is elementary. Males in that are shoe ins. Just trying to give you the heads up so you aren't going through what I am.

At the end of the day you have to look at yourself in the mirror and be happy with the reflection. If your passion is teaching and helping other people, I say you get after it. I used to think life was all about money and then my daughter was born and my perspective changed quickly. Having a good and fulfilling life starts with happiness.

Thanks Tex. The wife and I are in complete agreement. She is such a wonderful person, and it is through her that I realize how much I am missing out on as a person.

The main problem that I have right now is that I am not certified to be a teacher. There are several great positions in my small town, but I am not sure how to approach them without a certification. My wife taught with teacher a year ago that had a temporary certification, and that teacher is now certified. Basically she got the job, started teaching and was certified through her teaching. I am waiting on more details about that process.

If they are public schools you need certification. If private you do not. Try substituting, you don't need a certification for that. :thumbup:

I really envy you, in that you know what you want to do.

I am in a dead-end job that pays ok, desperately want to quit and do something else, but I don't have a goal of what I want to be when it is all said and done unfortunately.

While teaching sounds great now, because it is different, it is still quite likely you'll get burnt out doing that after awhile too. It's human nature. We fear change yet crave it at the same time. It is the rare bird that is truly happy with who they are or what they are doing. The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

I'm not saying not to pursue it but take the time and make sure it is definitely what you want to do. I'd hate for you to regret it in 10 years and spend your days thinking of where you could've been had you stuck in sales.

I skimmed, so I apologize if any of this is repetitive.

My wife just finished her 16th year of teaching. It has changed a lot over that period of time, but a lot of the environment and conditions for the teacher are determined by what state, district and even school site you're in/at. By and large, the benefits and time off are the perks. Underpaid? Yes, I would say so, to a degree, but there are a lot of reasons to go into the field. Having your schedule and time off match up with your wife would be invaluable. If you decide to have kids, having the same thing with them, even more. There's plenty of B.S. to deal with as a teacher and it's a lot of work, but I believe you get the satisfaction of knowing you're making an impact, having solid benefits and retirement and getting 3 months off per year. A lot of teachers complain, but there's a lot to like too.

Well...The system is in shambles and the bureaucratic BS is hamstringing teachers to the point of being nothing more than drones preparing kids for a gauntlet of standardized testing that really doesn't tell us they learned anything and not being able to actually teach and reach children the way even the teachers of my time did. That said, when you effect a child in a positive way and really see it happen or have them come back years later just to tell you how their life is going, that helps make it better.

For getting into teaching right now, basic outlook is this. Go into science or math if you can, MAJOR lack of those teachers right now. With social studies you better know someone because its usually a spot for coaches first, just being honest here. Add to that social studies is slowly being phased out as a whole (American history is to start teaching AFTER the Civil War according to the standards of wonderful EOI's that everything is based on for example).

Is it rewarding and do you get to make a difference, absolutely. I adore actually TEACHING, its beyond joyful for me, but there is SO much BS that is going on in the education system that it definitely makes it hard to focus on the good at times.

Not trying to scare you at all, just speaking on all sides of it. If you KNOW you'd love it, go for it, absolutely. The pro's of beignon the same schedule as your wife may be worth it all by themselves, no doubt.

I did an alt program as well. Don't get me wrong I've went to plenty of interviews. Just as a 29 year old with little to no teaching experience with a matters you'll be hard pressed to contend with 22 year olds with bachelors (they don't have to pay as much) or out of work experienced teachers. My masters I feel is a hindrance almost. I'm in the process of getting science certified and special ed.

Another option is elementary. Males in that are shoe ins. Just trying to give you the heads up so you aren't going through what I am.

I am really more interested in the Business Education field. I reached out to the Alabama Department of Education about my options, and there is an option to begin working now with a temporary certification. I would work towards a Professional Certification while teaching. This would mean that I would hire in as an entry level teacher, lower pay scale. I too am 29 and believe the higher pay scale that comes with a Master's would be a hinderance. I am hoping to contact either the school or the local Board of Education tomorrow.

^^^^Just Tapped That

Coby,

I read your first post, but was skimming some of the responses so I appoligize if this has been said too. BEST example I can share is this. Hindsite being 20/20 and all I think I would have gone into teacher, too. Granted I'm a lucky guy who found a great place to work with a family owned company, we don't all have this and I get it. I did the big city corporate gig for a few years and was in the SAME boat you are now.
It sounds like you have your mind made up...awesome. I look at it like this. You'll have to put in a lot of time to get all your full retirement benefits at the end of your teaching carrer. BUT, you'll get to "double dip" with CAPERS (sp?) and SS income when you can retire, and that rocks. My Mom just retired from teaching at the end of this last school year. She had been teaching for almost 40 year in the same room!!! Once she got her figured for her retirement checks coming from the State (CAPERS) and SS...she got a $500/month raise! How crazy is that!?!? PLUS with all the middle of the year off for summer, you get an almost 3 month vacation each year...and what's THAT really worth if you could put a dollar amount on it?!?!?
I saw go for it! Ya the money might not be as much, but what is your health and family life worth to you, too?
Good luck brother! You're going to rock as a teacher!

Well...The system is in shambles and the bureaucratic BS is hamstringing teachers to the point of being nothing more than drones preparing kids for a gauntlet of standardized testing that really doesn't tell us they learned anything and not being able to actually teach and reach children the way even the teachers of my time did. That said, when you effect a child in a positive way and really see it happen or have them come back years later just to tell you how their life is going, that helps make it better.

For getting into teaching right now, basic outlook is this. Go into science or math if you can, MAJOR lack of those teachers right now. With social studies you better know someone because its usually a spot for coaches first, just being honest here. Add to that social studies is slowly being phased out as a whole (American history is to start teaching AFTER the Civil War according to the standards of wonderful EOI's that everything is based on for example).

Is it rewarding and do you get to make a difference, absolutely. I adore actually TEACHING, its beyond joyful for me, but there is SO much BS that is going on in the education system that it definitely makes it hard to focus on the good at times.

Not trying to scare you at all, just speaking on all sides of it. If you KNOW you'd love it, go for it, absolutely. The pro's of beignon the same schedule as your wife may be worth it all by themselves, no doubt.

My wife is constantly struggling with the same bureaucratic crap you are talking about. Schools are so worried about standardized test scores that she feels like she is only preparing them for tests and not actually teaching them. I will add that she is an English teacher, so there is a lot of emphasis on a subject like that. I am hoping that by concentrating on Business Education I will actually get to help the students prepare for the real world. I am hoping there may be a little more TEACHING in Business. I would love the feeling of doing something that could possibly affect someone's life. In my sales job, there is zero possibility if this. I hate to sound dramatic, but if I could touch just one student per year, that would be worth more to me than meeting any sales goal. Also I would indeed love having the same time off as my wife. Having the same schedule would be so awesome.

^^^^Just Tapped That

My wife is constantly struggling with the same bureaucratic crap you are talking about. Schools are so worried about standardized test scores that she feels like she is only preparing them for tests and not actually teaching them. I will add that she is an English teacher, so there is a lot of emphasis on a subject like that. I am hoping that by concentrating on Business Education I will actually get to help the students prepare for the real world. I am hoping there may be a little more TEACHING in Business. I would love the feeling of doing something that could possibly affect someone's life. In my sales job, there is zero possibility if this. I hate to sound dramatic, but if I could touch just one student per year, that would be worth more to me than meeting any sales goal. Also I would indeed love having the same time off as my wife. Having the same schedule would be so awesome.

^^^^Just Tapped That

Not dramatic at all. I get where you're coming from completely, believe me.

The only issue you'll find with, say a business spot, is that BECAUSE there is so much emphasis on standardized testing it has become even harder to find a non tested position because once someone is in them they don't usually let go. I'm fortunate enough that I have been in one for 7 years now and don't have to teach for the test for the most-part, I can do my own thing most of the time.

Hopefully it works out and you find something somewhere. Just be willing to be flexible!

Not dramatic at all. I get where you're coming from completely, believe me.

The only issue you'll find with, say a business spot, is that BECAUSE there is so much emphasis on standardized testing it has become even harder to find a non tested position because once someone is in them they don't usually let go. I'm fortunate enough that I have been in one for 7 years now and don't have to teach for the test for the most-part, I can do my own thing most of the time.

Hopefully it works out and you find something somewhere. Just be willing to be flexible!

There just so happens to be a position at the school at which I would want to teach. I would apply for this position with the ability to get my certification if I got this job. It is awesome that the job I would want is at the school I would want. Kind if like the stars are lining up if you know what I mean.

^^^^Just Tapped That

Do what makes you the happiest! We are only on this earth for a nanosecond of time in the big scheme. Life is short and its not all about the money. At least not to me. I gave up a very good civil engineering position last summer at age 50 to be close to home. The pay cut didn't hurt all that much. You just learn to adjust along the way.

Do what makes you the happiest! We are only on this earth for a nanosecond of time in the big scheme. Life is short and its not all about the money. At least not to me. I gave up a very good civil engineering position last summer at age 50 to be close to home. The pay cut didn't hurt all that much. You just learn to adjust along the way.

I agree. Being 29 if feel like the time is now. I would like to retire close to the same time as my wife also. She is a little younger than I am, so she should reach her retirement age about the same time I reach my years of service date. I just think that being happy with myself is more important that being happy with my job. I just don't feel happy with myself not making a difference.

Everything this guy said. When I started college, teaching was the field to go into. I loved working with kids and I'm really good at teaching. 5 years and two degrees later, I couldn't find a job (unless it was in the middle of nowhere). Luckily I worked as a student worker at the college and got a full time job doing IT work. My friends that are teachers say it's a really stressful and demanding job. I'm back in school getting another Master's degree while I work. If there's another field you can see yourself having a career, I'd go for that. Education is a tough field.

I think if you wanna teach then teach. I also think with your long term experience in sales you could search out a job in sales you would enjoy instead of making due with the current one. Teacher salaries are small, so...you could go out and get THAT job you would love and really enjoy life. If teaching is THAT job then go for it. If teaching is a temporary solution then you should just use those PR skills to present yourself to new opportunities.

Back