Best Wedge for Flops

TMAdidas

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm looking for a 60* wedge mainly for flops and those short lob shots with an open face. I want something that will have the leading edge sit below the ball with an open face even on tight fairway lies. The leading edge of my 56* is too high when opened causing me to occasionally blade a shot. I'm leaning towards a 588 Forged or Vokey, but am open to suggestions. I apologize, but it has to be carried in Golfsmith, so no Scor :banghead: Any suggestions?

Based on the description you want of the ball, you're going to want something with a low bounce, say around 4 degrees. Keep in mind though that if you open that face, you're going to increase the bounce on the bottom of the club. Also keep in mind that with that little bounce, you could have some issues with the club digging at impact.

Based on the description you want of the ball, you're going to want something with a low bounce, say around 4 degrees. Keep in mind though that if you open that face, you're going to increase the bounce on the bottom of the club. Also keep in mind that with that little bounce, you could have some issues with the club digging at impact.

Should I go up to 7* to be safe then? That's what I was recommended by the Vokey customer service but I trust you guys more.

You're going to want to look at sole grinds.

2146.SM4_2D00_Grind_2D00_Models_5F00_web.jpg

I have an L grind on my 60 and love it.

You're going to want to look at sole grinds.

2146.SM4_2D00_Grind_2D00_Models_5F00_web.jpg

I have an L grind on my 60 and love it.

I was recommended the S grind, but like I said before, I trust you guys more than a CS person.

I was recommended the S grind, but like I said before, I trust you guys more than a CS person.

I would take advice from both. The CS people for these companies generally take classes and seminars to update them on the things they sell. they are all similar grinds, just more material removed essentially with Vokeys.

Should I go up to 7* to be safe then? That's what I was recommended by the Vokey customer service but I trust you guys more.

Wedges are a feel thing. It's going to come down to what you feel the most comfortable with hitting that shot. I don't have much trouble hitting a high lob shot with my J40 58 for example and they have about 10.5 degrees of bounce. I found it to be easier to hit a multitude of shots with that much bounce opposed to less. I've gone as low as a 60.04 and while it was useful on tight lies, it was not so forgiving on softer conditions and tended to dig.

If it were me though, I'd definitely give something in that 7-10 degree range a try before you decide to look into that really low bounce choice.

Wedges are a feel thing. It's going to come down to what you feel the most comfortable with hitting that shot. I don't have much trouble hitting a high lob shot with my J40 58 for example and they have about 10.5 degrees of bounce. I found it to be easier to hit a multitude of shots with that much bounce opposed to less. I've gone as low as a 60.04 and while it was useful on tight lies, it was not so forgiving on softer conditions and tended to dig.

If it were me though, I'd definitely give something in that 7-10 degree range a try before you decide to look into that really low bounce choice.

OK, my dad's Vokey SM2 58*/8* is the best for flops, but I don't know what grind it is or what bounce that would translate into in a 60*.

I've got an sm4 with the m grind and I love it for flop shots.

I'm going to Golfsmith Wed. or Thur. I'll demo the 60*, but the synthetic might make it tough to decide.

I'm looking for a 60* wedge mainly for flops and those short lob shots with an open face. I want something that will have the leading edge sit below the ball with an open face even on tight fairway lies. The leading edge of my 56* is too high when opened causing me to occasionally blade a shot. I'm leaning towards a 588 Forged or Vokey, but am open to suggestions. I apologize, but it has to be carried in Golfsmith, so no Scor :banghead: Any suggestions?

Vokeys aren't bad. I'd wait for the mackdaddy2 to be released they 2 custom grinds u and c grinds both should make opening the face up very easy.

Vokeys aren't bad. I'd wait for the mackdaddy2 to be released they 2 custom grinds u and c grinds both should make opening the face up very easy.

I'd love that, but is there an official release date?

I would love to get my hands on some of those

OK, my dad's Vokey SM2 58*/8* is the best for flops, but I don't know what grind it is or what bounce that would translate into in a 60*.

Look at 60/8 or 60/10. It's probably going to be between those two you like

Interesting, phil says you want a lot of bounce for flop shots iirc.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

Interesting, phil says you want a lot of bounce for flop shots iirc.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk
It depends on what technique you use. If you like to slide the club under the ball for flops, get a low bounce wedge. If you like to throw the club into the ground an inch behind the ball for flops(like Phil does), get higher bounce. Since it is a 60 degree wedge, don't worry about full swings because you wont make many. Just get what suits your technique around the greens.

Vokey M Grind. I like the TVD model.

You could buy my old xFT. Its 6 degrees of bounce and its really good for digging holes. Seriously though, pros don't hit flops off tight lies, why would you want to? Pitch it or roll it up off a tight lie because it does not matter which wedge you use you will have a good chance of blading it off a tight lie if you don't hit it perfect.

Flops are for deeper stuff where you can't spin the ball to stop it.

The 2013 Nike VR Forged wedges have some cool sole grind/bounce combos that I think are worth checking out. I hit what I think was a wide sole but with low bounce and it was money for flop shots.

You could buy my old xFT. Its 6 degrees of bounce and its really good for digging holes. Seriously though, pros don't hit flops off tight lies, why would you want to? Pitch it or roll it up off a tight lie because it does not matter which wedge you use you will have a good chance of blading it off a tight lie if you don't hit it perfect.

My home course has a ton of elevated greens where I can't roll it up, and they are sloped so that you need a lot of spin. It's pretty odd.

I'd love that, but is there an official release date?

JB said they will have a write up this week on the homepage for these so i'd assume pretty soon.

Now I really want a Hopkins wedge. They look awesome. Promo code VIP gets a free sole grind upgrade.

I played the 588s for a while and recently switch to the Nike VR Pro with the Dual Sole and they open up really nicely. The 588 RTG comes with a V-Sole and an "L-Grind" and I believe it is the Cleveland CG15s that come with a full grind for some relief as well.

I believe the OP meant lob shot instead of flop shot. You are correct in that a flop shot is meant for use from a bad lie to make the ball go really high to stop, but a lob shot is used from good lies where height and spin are used to stop the ball. Also, one could argue that a tight lie is the best lie that you could come across around the greens because there is nothing to get between the face and ball.

Non-Conforming: Callaway X-Forged C Grind Mack Daddy 60/09, was my favorite.
Conforming: Titleist Sm4 60.07 S grind, new favorite.

Back