Is laying up being hit into?

Wingnut

Reaction score
Handicap
10 ish
So today I played 18 and was stuck behind a little tournament, or just a bunch of fours playing together, just not sure as the little girl behind the counter never mentioned they were ahead of me when I ask "can you fit a single in?"

Anyways, I play ready golf and if I see the fairway or green about the be clear I have my club ready, I am behind my ball waiting. On one par five a laid up 60 yards short of the green as they were still putting and the group behind me were at their second shot in the fairway. So one guy starts yelling at me like I hit into them! Was I in the wrong? The iron I chose would never reach the green so I was comfortable that I would not hit into them.

Perplexed

I think it's weird that someone would be upset at you laying up 60 yards away from them. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

it's just that I consider myself to be a conscientious golfer and I believe my place is right behind the group in front of me and be ready to play.

Nope, nothing wrong. Like Threeboysdad said, they probably assumed you were going for the green and thought you mishit it. Before I came to THP, I had never heard of laying up. I thought you always used the club that would get you to the green, or at least as close as you could to it.

I have to say they were playing from the white tees and could barely make the fairway. I was playing from the blue tees because I like to play to 6500-6700 yards, anymore than that and I would not have fun.

Sounds like you did ok by me. If they freak out at 60 yds they may have heart attack if it lands within 10 yds. Don't worry about it

60 yards short of a group on a par 5 is totally fine in my opinion. As long as its not a par three and your certain that your club won't get within 25 yards I think a player is fine hitting.

most people on public courses dont have enough control to ensure they are short or long of a target...

you did nothing wrong...

I'm going to agree with others here. You did nothing wrong. If you were laying up 15 or 20 yards short of them, I could understand the anger. But anything 40+ in my book is kosher. Especially if they were hackers (in the traditional sense of the word) they probably did think you were trying for the green. If it happens again, you might want to educate them... or at least point them to THP!

I agree that 60 yards is perfectly fine, and playing ready golf to keep the course moving is commendable! If the group on the green is annoyed, that is their problem.

Yeah, I wouldn't think nothing of it. On either end.

most people on public courses dont have enough control to ensure they are short or long of a target...
you did nothing wrong...

:confused2:

I have to agree, 60 yards is plenty far back to lay up. On the weekends at my course, it's not unusual for someone to be 50 yards out, watching the group in front putt out on a Par 5. But then again, it's mostly members who know or have at least seen each other at the course, so there's normally no problems.

I accidentally caught a 7 Wood a bit thin from 250 yards out that ended up in the greenside bunker once while a group was on the green. I went up immediately to apologize to them to let them know that I was hitting a 7 Wood and had no intention of being that close to them and one old man in the group laughed and said "That was one hell of a 7 Wood, you've got to teach me that swing".

Cheers guys, I was just trying to stay in the shot, and I was trying all day to work on those 70 and in shots, I never thought I was pushing anyone.

you did nothing wrong...
So if you play public courses you can't control your distance? This must be new.

So if you play public courses you can't control your distance? This must be new.

I don't think he meant it that way. I think he was talking about the other people that thought he was hitting at them because he was close enough to reach them if he wanted to. I've done the exact same thing before on a par 5. I was going to lay up and was hoping that the people on the green didn't think I was trying to push them. My 6I wasn't going to ever make it to the green no matter how I hit it, but they would have no way of knowing that.

60 yards is plenty safe. Its when the ball rolls up beside me or lands a few feet away without warning that there is a problem.

No, usually we hit our targets. Being a bad golf is not exclusive to public golfers either.

you did nothing wrong...
You're right. Heck, when I'm on a public course I don't even look what club I pull out of the bag. 5 iron, PW...it's all the same to me.

Nothing wrong here at all. Some people are just way too stuck up.

Round I played last Sunday, we were on the green of a 310 yard par 4. Guys behind us tee'd off. One of them put it just short of the front edge. We thought it was awesome to see that great shot. He was apologetic, but we didn't mind. We let them play through, and stayed to watch his long putt from just off. And he made it, was cool to see an eagle.

People do this to me all the time. I dont mind as I just look at it like keeping up pace. They arent close to me really so no reason to get mad. Think you were fine dude I wouldn't worry about it

60y? Not a problem. Inside 40, that's getting a bit too close to "oopsie" territory for me. The group ahead of you needed to relax. Carry on.

I agree with the other guys. 60 yds is NOT hitting into them.

They were probably just sore because they felt you were pushing them. They can get over it.

They were probably just sore because they felt you were pushing them. They can get over it.

I bet you're right on that.

I know as a single if I am waiting on a par 5 even if I can reach I usually lay-up just to keep a rhythm going and even if I was a single and had a group do that to me I wouldn't be upset at all. You were well back enough to not risk hurting anyone so I am sorry about how they reacted.

Back