Do You Believe In The Golf God's Wrath?

Diane

Reaction score
The full moon causes fanciful thoughts so I started thinking about golf god(s). Are you a bit superstitious when you play - careful not to incur his/her wrath? Or do you think it's only a coincidence when something bad follows you opening your mouth?

The full moon causes fanciful thoughts so I started thinking about golf god(s). Are you a bit superstitious when you play - careful not to incur his/her wrath? Or do you think it's only a coincidence when something bad follows you opening your mouth?

I am never smart enough to avoid saying or doing something to bring his wrath down upon me. I do know just after my stupid action that something is going to happen really bad soon.

We humans may think that we're masters of the universe when it comes to everything else, but golf owns us. And when we begin to think that we own golf, the Golf Gods beat us down like rented mules just to make sure we know who's boss.

Personally, I find that fixing ball marks and raking traps tends to keep the Golf Gods happy enough to leave me alone most of the time. Of course, even Golf Gods need to have some fun once in a while and that's when they look down at one of us - especially when we think that we've figured everything out and we're about to teach this game a thing or two - and they look down at one of us and they turn to one of their fellow gods and say, "Hey, watch this..."

Golf gods are weird that way.

And I absolutely meant that in a good way!

No...really...you guys are great, I mean that!

I wasn't...

I mean I...

(oh crap...)

-JP

JP - I think they can only hear you if you're on the golf course so you have no worries.

JP - I think they can only hear you if you're on the golf course so you have no worries.

Yeah but why take a chance and taunt them?

The water hazard at the fourth hole requires routine golf ball sacrifices...

The water hazard at the fourth hole requires routine golf ball sacrifices...

On several water holes I have considered just throwing one in and going directly to the drop zone to save time.:beat-up:

They worked me over pretty good yesterday. I must have been a Bad boy!

On several water holes I have considered just throwing one in and going directly to the drop zone to save time.:beat-up:

On water holes I will use the ball washer even if the ball is clean. That way the ball has already been wet and will not feel the need to get wet again. :D

On water holes I will use the ball washer even if the ball is clean. That way the ball has already been wet and will not feel the need to get wet again. :D

I'll have to try that. LOL.

If there really is a God, and his first name is Murphy and is "Murphy's Law" then I give creedence to "God"s Golf Wrath". I have seen it done to others, experienced it myself, and plan on both happening again in the future. :clapp:

The odds of my ball doing something very weird is directly proportional to how badly I need a par to break 80. That is what has convinced me that there is a golf god and that he is one foul tempered b*****d.

I apologize, Mr Golf God, really, I mean it. :sweat:

The Greek Pantheon had long been forgotten. Once golf was invented they figured that would be the perfect opportunity to reassert themselves on humanity. I'd say they have been successful.

Yes. I try not to get too overconfident or talk out loud too much of how well the game is or has been. Sure enough, whenever I do that, someone or something reminds me that I'm really not that good!

One of my friends made a boastful comment while we were playing on the sim yesterday. This led to a discussion of whether the golf gods only hear you when you're outdoors on the course or whether they can hear you anywhere at any time. We decided it was the latter - they're all powerful.

golf gods

golf gods

i try not to incur their wrath....if it bounces off a tree into the fairway i thank them....if i hit well at the range i leave them a few balls..

i try not to incur their wrath....if it bounces off a tree into the fairway i thank them....if i hit well at the range i leave them a few balls..

I'm going to have to try that because when I hit it good on the range, it is never a good sign for my round. Perhaps I have not been making the proper sacrifice.

I've decided that I don't invite the Golf Gods' wrath so much as their utter contempt.

i don't know whether i believe in golf gods or not....but i do know....if i birdie the first hole....the rest of my round is screwed.

this is well known fact. i was playing one sunday morning in my regular group....4 foursomes. i drew the first tee time. i made a 15 footer for bird and i hear the laughter coming from the group behind us in the fairway.....and then "doodles is f@#$%ed now!!!"

not so much a higher being.....i believe it's my own brain. i'm screwed.

i don't know whether i believe in golf gods or not....but i do know....if i birdie the first hole....the rest of my round is screwed.

this is well known fact. i was playing one sunday morning in my regular group....4 foursomes. i drew the first tee time. i made a 15 footer for bird and i hear the laughter coming from the group behind us in the fairway.....and then "doodles is f@#$%ed now!!!"

not so much a higher being.....i believe it's my own brain. i'm screwed.

OMG! I thought it was just ME! I once went birdie, birdie, par, birdie on the first four holes. I was just waiting on the other shoe to drop and it fell with an awful crash on the next 3 holes.:angry:

Re: Do You Believe In The Golf God's Wrath?

I've often considered jacking my birdie putt on purpose but then figured karma would come back stronger than ever...so now I just miss the green all together.

I've often considered jacking my birdie putt on purpose but then figured karma would come back stronger than ever...so now I just miss the green all together.

Good plan! Early success is a harbinger of great disappointment! :laughing:

Well, this may come as a suprise :D.... No I don't believe in any of that. I will tee up a brand new ball on a water hole, and I don't believe which way my ball bounces has anything to do with luck. I hit the ball and it is all physics from that point on.

The golf gods giveth and they taketh, but mostly they are capricous(sp?) and just mess with us.

Me and a buddy are playing a par 3 fronted by a pond. He hits a low hook into the cattails on the far side of the pond and his ball ricochets out and goes 6 yards right, putting him maybe 4 yards off the green.

I hit a high draw and it's on line with where his ball went into the cattails. I watch my ball drop almost straight down, ricochet out of the cattails back into the pond.

We pretty much hit the same rock but his lousy tee shot was rewarded. Meanwhile the high draw I wanted to hit and did was 4 feet short and bounced into the pond.

Of course it's physics, but it's more fun to talk about the golf gods then whip out a protractor and pocket protector...

FWIW I have made many a sacrifice to the Golf Gods to no avail, I guess they don't like my topflites but i hear alot of people give them Pro V1s to no avail as well.

nope don't really believe in the golf gods but I am a FIRM believer in KARMA. I always try to do right and hopefully I'll end up with some good results.

Back