while playing, what in specific do you do when your game isnt working?

I find the beer cart and start the healing process.

+1... well said. I also try to focus on one thing I know I'm not doing well in my swing that day and just work on that.

I relax, concentrate on just making good contact no matter the distance and if I hit a bad shot I will walk to my ball instead of riding in the cart with my playing partner. Helps me think and relax and I talk to myself and reinforce the basics as I'm walking to my ball

I relax, concentrate on just making good contact no matter the distance and if I hit a bad shot I will walk to my ball instead of riding in the cart with my playing partner. Helps me think and relax and I talk to myself and reinforce the basics as I'm walking to my ball

The old "walk of shame", I know it too well.

The old "walk of shame", I know it too well.

After a horrid shot I will yell back "I'm walking, I don't deserve a ride after that one"

After a horrid shot I will yell back "I'm walking, I don't deserve a ride after that one"

how about "while I'm walking with my back turned, do me a favor and run me over", "just leave me about 5% alive, just enough to understand the rest of me is all messed up"

I slow everything down. When I start pressing, everything speeds up and my timing gets all out of whack, so slowing down, taking a few half-practice swings and getting the rhythm/timing back is the goal.

I will skip the cart for a shot or two. Go sulk by myself for a little bit! I am good by the end of the hole and back in the cart.

If the game is not happening, I will get a couple of beers at the turn.

This is my go to strategy. That and get it in the fairway off the tee with a hybrid.

when my game isn't working I start to drink, then every thing is fine!

Beer helps, but other than that, focus on my rhythm and keep my head down, two things that seem to get away from me from time to time.

Beer helps, but other than that, focus on my rhythm and keep my head down, two things that seem to get away from me from time to time.

so the next time a see a head prancing about a golf course I'll know who it is and say hi.

Remind yourself it is only a game and that there are real problems out there. I never get to high with the good or too low with the bad. Golf is day to day for all of us including the world class professionals.

Shot 10-over 45 on the front, got a couple beers for the back and after double on 10, shot 4-over the final 8 holes.

Ok, so a third round with my new mental approach about how to try easier (not harder) after or during a blow-up. Started with a total self implosion on #1. But just went with the new thought logic and pulled out of it on #2. Then put tee shot on #3 (a par3) in the woods. Reset and relaxed and just hit the ball without pressing and made the three (but of course was a 5). None the less, my new logic is paying off. Minimizing the blow-ups and pulling out of them faster simply due to my new "trying easier" logic. Shot one my better rounds this year. This was sure to be a horrible round had I still played with my old attitude and ways.

Back