Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You forgot that Oregon (which BEAT USC and has the same record) is #13. Their losses? Boise State (9-0, #6 BCS) and Stanford (6-3 #25 AP).

Another one of those "How the hell?" questions for the system.

Goes back to my point last week that it has NOTHING to do with who you lose to or who you beat. Only when you lose.

You forgot that Oregon (which BEAT USC and has the same record) is #13. Their losses? Boise State (9-0, #6 BCS) and Stanford (6-3 #25 AP).

Another one of those "How the hell?" questions for the system.

BCS rankings are such a joke, which you illustrated just now. USC being ranked 4 spots higher than Oregon is an injustice. USC is sure go down playing either Stanford or Arizona. The stupid BCS computers will probably still put them in the Top 25. :confused2:

Last edited:
I actually trust the computers more than the human polls for the rankings.

Last year, for instance, Utah went undefeated for the season and finished 1st in 4 of the 6 computer polls - but thanks to the USA Today Coaches Poll & Harris Interactive Poll Florida still ended up ranked #1 on the final rankings.

I still say Utah should have been National Champs, or at least been in the game that decided it instead of beating up on Alabama in a different game.

Wake me up when there's a playoff system :angry:

It is about debate and conversation.
Fair enough. If it is mentioned that USC shouldn't be ranked #9 because of a bad loss, who do you suggest gets put in that slot? I don't think the rankings are right either, but I don't have a solution either.

Of the remaining one and two loss teams, my only suggestion would be that Pitt should be higher. They have a bad loss just like everyone else, but have been playing very well lately. Maybe Miami? Losing to Clemson at home isn't anything to hang your hat on. Oregon? It must be a rule somewhere that when you lose you get bumped down below the team you just annihilated. Maybe they just get up for big games. Houston? Bad loss to UTEP and an awful conference. Utah has only one loss to Oregon, maybe they should be higher (big game this week at TCU). Oklahoma St. lost to Houston and Texas. Not bad I guess, but they haven't been impressive otherwise.

I guess my point should have been that it is easy to rip on teams that have bad losses, but everyone has a bad loss(es) except for LSU. What should be different? Who gets put in those slots? It has been a crazy season with a few overachievers and some traditional powers that are not their usual selves. The only thing we know for sure are that the top 3 is probably right. I would venture a guess that none of them would want to play TCU or Boise right now.

Once my team is out of it, I root for chaos in the BCS. The more years when we have a clear cut #1 and #2, the more years it will continue this way because everyone will line their pockets and say how great the system is. When we have 4 or 5 undefeated's and a couple of power conference teams with one loss, the greater likelihood that somewhere, someone, will really push for a change.

Oregon should of course be higher than them. They beat them.

....The more years when we have a clear cut #1 and #2, the more years it will continue this way because everyone will line their pockets and say how great the system is. When we have 4 or 5 undefeated's and a couple of power conference teams with one loss, the greater likelihood that somewhere, someone, will really push for a change.

I agree with this mentality....

Originally Posted by StLCardsFan
....The more years when we have a clear cut #1 and #2, the more years it will continue this way because everyone will line their pockets and say how great the system is. When we have 4 or 5 undefeated's and a couple of power conference teams with one loss, the greater likelihood that somewhere, someone, will really push for a change.

I agree with this mentality....

I agree as well. I'm hoping that TCU can handle Utah this coming week, since having both Boise State & TCU undefeated throws a bit of confusion on the whole situation.

I'm still trying to figure out what makes Florida so great this year. When you look at who they are playing, outside of LSU it's a pretty weak regular schedule. And I honestly think LSU is overrated as well. Florida's non-conference schedule could almost be labeled "Lambs to the Slaughter":

Charleston Southern - I thought they played basketball...
Troy - Good by Sun Belt standards...which isn't saying much
FIU - Bad even by Sun Belt standards
Florida State - Nowhere near the Bowden teams of old...

And the conference schedule gets Florida 2 games all season against ranked opponents - LSU and the SEC Championship Game against Alabama.

I agree with the unranked opponents. BUt that is every school now. UF schedules a horrible out of conference schedule because most say the SEC is so good, they do not need to. But this year the UGA, Auburns, Tennessee, are not that good. (although they might be in the Big 10 or Pac 10). But what school is playing a great schedule anymore. A very small amount. The Boises, TCUs etc? Cmon does ANYBODY believe that if they played a SEC or Big 12 schedule that they would be unbeaten?

This season? Yes. People used to say the same about the Big 10 when you had Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, and Wisconsin as perennial powerhouses in college football, plus others that could have an "up" year.

Everyone is in love with the SEC, and I just don't get it. Teams get pre-season rated (UGA, Ole Miss) just because they're in the SEC - and then play horrible. The conferences impressing me this year are the ACC and Pac-10. Both have some good teams, and currently 4 each ranked in the Top 25.

One conference that every year chews itself up is the Big 12 - especially the South division. Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech - which can all easily be ranked annually - have to play each other every year. Those 4 schools always have a TON of talent, and it's a meatgrinder. Coming out of that schedule undefeated is a real test.

The ACC? Are you kidding me? As a diehard FSU fan I can tell you that the ACC may be the worst conference in football this year (out of bcs) other than the Big 10. osahar, I love ya, but you just lost all college football credibility right there...hehe.

This is worst the ACC has been in a decade easy.

Add one more thing. I know Osahar hates UF so he gets a pass, but your logic about having 4 in the top 25, does not fly. Because so does the SEC and that includes 3 in the top 10 and 2 in the top 3.

Add one more thing. I know Osahar hates UF so he gets a pass, but your logic about having 4 in the top 25, does not fly. Because so does the SEC and that includes 3 in the top 10 and 2 in the top 3.

Hey, I've been liking the ACC this year with GA Tech, VA Tech, and Miami playing well. FSU, BC and Clemson are having off years. Also liking the Big East thanks to Cinci & Pitt. And last I saw, the SEC only had 3 - UF, Bama, and LSU - who have no competition in their conference this year outside each other. LSU keeps hanging around, but are the also-ran of the three.

Auburn is #25 in the coaches poll. And sure those conferences have schools in the top 25, but none near the top. TO compare the ACC this year to the SEC is complete craziness.

Hey, I've been liking the ACC this year with GA Tech, VA Tech, and Miami playing well. FSU, BC and Clemson are having off years. Also liking the Big East thanks to Cinci & Pitt. And last I saw, the SEC only had 3 - UF, Bama, and LSU - who have no competition in their conference this year outside each other. LSU keeps hanging around, but are the also-ran of the three.

You have mentioned that before, but what conference does have competition? They have 3 teams in the top 10. Nobody else has more than 1 I believe.

An SEC school has won the last 3 National Championship games in convincing fashion. They have better record in bowls as a conference than any other conference over the last 10 years. The rest is pure conjecture. No one in their right mind could argue about the SEC being the best conference in college football. ACC is a joke. The reason they look good is because they're playing other ACC teams. When is the last time any ACC team was a true threat to win it all on a national level? Had to be at least 5 years ago. Texas and OK State (to a much lesser degree) are the only teams worth talking about in the Big 12. Big Ten is a farce. Iowa should have 3 losses already. Penn St (as much as I like them) have no offense and Ohio State is brutal to watch. The Pac 10 is a laugh too. I hope Boise State loses. They are a bunch of cheaters. Can you imagine how much flack Bama would get for playing on a Crimson field or Florida on a Blue or Orange field? it is clearly an unfair advantage, as you can see opposing qbs always lose Boise St defenders and end up throwing picks.

Osahar, say what you want about the SEC, but I can guarantee that if Ole Miss, Arkansas or Tennesee were in the Big 12 divison with Nebraska they'd be playing Texas for the conference title. If South Carolina, Georgia or Auburn were in the ACC, they'd also be competing for a divison title if not conference title.

The SEC is king. All hail the King! By the way, Colt McCoy will be exposed against either UF or the Tide. He does not see defenses with that kind of speed and quickness in the Big 12. The National Championship is really UF vs. Bama this year. And I just have a feeling Tebow figures out a way to win it again. And after this weekend, he'll really bolster his Heisman candidacy. As a Gamecock, I can tell you he'll account for at least 5 TDs against us.

An SEC school has won the last 3 National Championship games in convincing fashion. They have better record in bowls as a conference than any other conference over the last 10 years. The rest is pure conjecture. No one in their right mind could argue about the SEC being the best conference in college football. ACC is a joke. The reason they look good is because they're playing other ACC teams. When is the last time any ACC team was a true threat to win it all on a national level? Had to be at least 5 years ago. Texas and OK State (to a much lesser degree) are the only teams worth talking about in the Big 12. Big Ten is a farce. Iowa should have 3 losses already. Penn St (as much as I like them) have no offense and Ohio State is brutal to watch. The Pac 10 is a laugh too. I hope Boise State loses. They are a bunch of cheaters. Can you imagine how much flack Bama would get for playing on a Crimson field or Florida on a Blue or Orange field? it is clearly an unfair advantage, as you can see opposing qbs always lose Boise St defenders and end up throwing picks.

Osahar, say what you want about the SEC, but I can guarantee that if Ole Miss, Arkansas or Tennesee were in the Big 12 divison with Nebraska they'd be playing Texas for the conference title. If South Carolina, Georgia or Auburn were in the ACC, they'd also be competing for a divison title if not conference title.

The SEC is king. All hail the King! By the way, Colt McCoy will be exposed against either UF or the Tide. He does not see defenses with that kind of speed and quickness in the Big 12. The National Championship is really UF vs. Bama this year. And I just have a feeling Tebow figures out a way to win it again. And after this weekend, he'll really bolster his Heisman candidacy. As a Gamecock, I can tell you he'll account for at least 5 TDs against us.

I agree with a lot of what you have written here but remember Arkansas was a SWC school for years playing the likes of Baylor and Texas A&M, not to mention Rice, and I don't remember them doing all that well in those days. A few good years. Personally I don't think Alabama could beat TCU this year, I have seen both play. I think Texas will not lose a game and I think that Florida will beat Alabama in the SEC championship game but then lose to Texas.

OMG. TCU Beat Alabama? I too have watched both play on more than one occasion. The speed alone of the defenses would be one sided. TCU playing in the SEC or even the Big 12 would be a 3 loss team. Who have they beat? BYU? FSU beat BYU and I assure you that they are bad.

The only teams worth a crap that TCU beat all year have been BYU and Clemson, barely. Clemson lost to a really bad Maryland team and until the last two weeks people down here were ready to get rid of Dabo. TCU has started a nice program there, but they definitely would not be undefeated in the SEC, whether they played in the East or West division. I agree that Texas won't lose... until they play Florida or Bama. Both Florida and Bama probably each have 8 NFL players on defense. Carlos Dunlap and B Spikes will be all over Colt McCoy the whole game. And Florida's secondary, can close and jump a route almost instantly. Same with Bama. Texas wouldn't know what him them.

OMG. TCU Beat Alabama? I too have watched both play on more than one occasion. The speed alone of the defenses would be one sided. TCU playing in the SEC or even the Big 12 would be a 3 loss team. Who have they beat? BYU? FSU beat BYU and I assure you that they are bad.

Hopefully they will have a chance to play either Alabama or Florida and we will see what happens.

Hopefully they will have a chance to play either Alabama or Florida and we will see what happens.

Not a chance. They dont belong in that league for the national championship. They would not win if they suited up LT.

The only teams worth a crap that TCU beat all year have been BYU and Clemson, barely. Clemson lost to a really bad Maryland team and until the last two weeks people down here were ready to get rid of Dabo. TCU has started a nice program there, but they definitely would not be undefeated in the SEC, whether they played in the East or West division. I agree that Texas won't lose... until they play Florida or Bama. Both Florida and Bama probably each have 8 NFL players on defense. Carlos Dunlap and B Spikes will be all over Colt McCoy the whole game. And Florida's secondary, can close and jump a route almost instantly. Same with Bama. Texas wouldn't know what him them.

Beat Boise who beat Oregon. Who cares what the schedule is look at the talent. I don't care how many NFL players are on a college team because it is a team game and not an individual game. A team of 11 decent well coached and motivated players beats a team of 3 or 4 great and 7 or 8 average players any day. LSU has sent more players to the NFL over the past 15 years than any other program, how many championships have they won? One during that time? This Texas team has a lot of talent and McCoy will play at QB in the NFL, none of the current SEC QBs will play a down of NFL football outside of possibly Ryan Mallet at Arkansas. I don't see any others. Tebow will play but not at QB. He is a running back in the pros.

Not a chance. They dont belong in that league for the national championship. They would not win if they suited up LT.

I never said anything about the national championship, TCU has no chance because of the BS system. They will play the loser of Alabama - Florida and I think that will be Alabama and they can beat them.

God, I hope Texas gets to play Alabama or Florida. All of this talk about how Bama and Florida would lay waste to Texas reminds me of 2005 when we didn't have a chance against the best college football team of all time-USC. (Sarcasm).

Regarding TCU's chances against Alabama, Utah beat Alabama last year and noone gave them a chance either. That's why they play the games. You never know what is going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back