PGA Awards - My Rant

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The PGA is not giving out a Comeback Player of the Year award this year. Granted the award is a complete joke after they had a guy win it twice (Stricker). It is obviously Tiger this year, but that is neither here nor there. However they are giving out a an award that is new this year.

The David Chu Award. What is this award? Who is it going to? Well the David Chu Award is to recognize outstanding contributions to the growth of golf in China.

Who is winning it this year? David Chu is. David Chu is alive and doing fine and will win his own award for his efforts with Mission Hills in China. Something he has done very well and should be commended. But really. The David Chu Award?

Quote from Finchem:

"Dr. Chu’s legacy is one of a pioneer, visionary and philanthropist," said PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem, who was on hand today at Mission Hills Golf Club to present the award. "Thanks to his efforts, Mission Hills has provided a platform for golf in China to take root, grow and flourish – the effects of which are certain to exceed all expectations in the years to come. We are grateful for our continued partnership with Dr. Chu and Mission Hills, and we are proud to honor him with this award."

Dr. Chu is a great man and someone that has done wonders in Asia for the growth of the game. The PGA Tour should be honoring him in some way. However, my opinion, is that this is not the way. Tiger deserves this award to put up on his mantle next to the other million.

This is my opinion and my opinion only, but doesnt the timing of this scream something else? HSBC sponsors and they create an award like this?

All politics is local, JB especially when money is involved. How about an award for the best counterfeit club manufacturer in China?

• Admin
All politics is local, JB especially when money is involved. How about an award for the best counterfeit club manufacturer in China?

But they also make all the real stuff too DC. :D

China is the biggest potential growth market for golf. Big money potential. Seems like the PGA and the OEMs decided to "make nice" in hopes of fostering that.

A little transparent as far as buttkissing goes, but doesn't make it onto my rant radar. (Too many other things that are bigger pet peeves for me.)

Awards being given to the guy who the award is named after sounds as if it is very political. The comeback player of the year award can be a joke in many sports, not just golf for giving it to a guy twice (it was Stricker, right?). Remember MLB gave it to Giambi AFTER he admitted to steroids!!!!

How do you give the award to Tiger, who was #1 when he had surgery, remained number #1 during the surgery and after he started to play again is still #1? Just because he came back from surgery and won again he deserves the award? Nope. If that is the case then you should give the award to every golfer who comes back after medical problems and wins again. Not really comeback award worthy IMO, like Strickers 1st award. The 2nd was BS, but I guess they had no one else to give it to.

• Admin
How do you not give it to a guy that misses half the season...Has knee surgery and comes back to play at his level?

Who would you give it to? WHo deserves come back player more than Tiger. By definition come back means you have to come back from something. Ricky Barnes? David Duval? John Daly? Who?

Any decisions that involve China will not be free of politics. That's just the way it is done over there. Finchem is smart, and knows how to follow the money. Besides, the award is titled "..to recognize outstanding contributions to the growth of golf in China.....", and since there is no "Come Back Player" award, Tiger is a non issue. Biggest question I have is why is the USPGA giving an award out for another tour? Should not the Euro/Asian/Japan tours be giving this award out. :confused2:

Is there some kind of limit on how many times a person can fall flat and pull themselves back up? Why not Stricker? He earned it this time the same way he earned it before. As far as Tiger, I could see it to a degree, but traditionally this type of award goes to an underdog like Strick.

Now for China... I could be way off base here, but I thought the PGA represented the game of golf IN THE USA. Not the MARKET of golf. Who's to say that China in the near future won't start their own "CPGA"? An award like this, IMHO, should be a collective award from all the golf associations, if warranted. The PGA, R&A, LPGA, JLPGA... lol, if I have those right, and any other entities.

Just my opinion!

Due,
I agree that there should be no limit on coming back. However if you come back one year, then how do you also come back the next?

Honestly I didn't even know how quick it was, lol. I just know I really got behind him this year.

I admire a guy that quiet, reserved, just overall a nice guy, yet has enough fire to compete at that level? How does he do it?

How do you not give it to a guy that misses half the season...Has knee surgery and comes back to play at his level?

Who would you give it to? WHo deserves come back player more than Tiger. By definition come back means you have to come back from something. Ricky Barnes? David Duval? John Daly? Who?

I think the PGA was correct and not giving the award to anyone this year. I don't think Tiger deserved it or would have wanted it, and there really wasn't anyone else that came back from something that I can remember. Did anyone else move up a substantial number of positions over last year like Stricker a couple years ago? In any case it is a totally subjective award that no one probably wants to win and when they do they probably don't really care. I know I wouldn't care, it means nothing.

Back