What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

Top Flite Gamer. Good ball. Durable, good feedback. My ball striking was pretty bad today, so it's hard to determine how well it really plays. Combine that with some very firm greens, and it's tough to make an assessment on its spin. My better drives got some great yardage, though. I'll keep playing this guy mostly because I still like it better than the other balls I have at my disposal, the TM Burner Tour and Bridgestone xFIXx.

I got a dozen Nike Mojos for Christmas and they were just sitting in my garage and having used all of the other balls that I had bought I decided to give them a try. I was pleasantly surprised, the ball performed just as well as other balls I have used for significantly less cost. I am a big fan of Nike balls so this is a nice cheap option to have.

Played another full round with the Callaway Hex Pro that are sold at Costco. Still a good all around ball, especially for only $20. Not quite as long as the Hex Chrome, but very close. I lose less than half a club on mishit iron shots and get about the same distance on well struck irons. They stop almost as quickly and I can back them up with a wedge into an upslope or stop them within a yard of impact on a flat spot with a short iron. Even hit a 5 iron into a green that stopped after about a yard of roll. Can't ask for much more than that. Accuracy is great on good shots - hit every fairway (well, drove into a greenside bunker on one drivable par 4) and 5/9 greens on the back nine - my best combined FW/GIR stats on a single nine in a decade. Feels great on the putter and enough short game spin to be useful - it will check up if you want it to do so and hit it correctly. Good durability. The Chrome is still a slightly better ball, but the $10-15 savings on the Hex Pro if you have a Costco nearby is, I think, worth the small trade-off.

Played yesterday and used a Bstone B330 Tour. Greens were super hard and fast and it performed admirably around the greens.

Played the srixon z-star yesterday. I have never used the z-star before and for $20 at academy sports I said what the heck, ill try it out. Have to say I was pretty impressed with the performance. Distance was a little shy of other tour balls i've tried but not by much, the feel was nice and soft off every club which I really liked, and the spin was fantastic around the greens. Overall the z-star is a solid performer.

Tapatalking from the bottom of the cup.

Can't wait to get out tomorrow and try the Hex Chrome + for the first time

I've probably already missed this somewhere in the thread, but does anyone have thoughts on how the Hex Chrome compares to the ProV1 or ProV1x?

I had been playing some Penta TP-3's I won from a friend, and went back to my usual Bridgestone e-6's this week - shot my best round of the year (81) last night, and had 4 birdie chances that I didn't take advantage of (left them all short) - Bridgestone's just perform for me (my other gamer is the B-330 RX-S)

Played the Titleist ProV1 2013. Lower ball flight, but love the way it plays off the tee and around the greens.

I have been playing the Q Star in tour yellow. I certainly get distance off the tee. I have read on here that there is no spin with this ball on or into the greens and I disagree. I have a high ball flight that coupled with some spin gets the ball to stop, and even check up. I had a shot with 7 iron into a green today that spun back 15 feet off the green. GREAT BALL!

I've been playing last years model of the Srixon Z Star which they claim compares to the Pro V1. I am really enjoying this ball the more I play it. Off the tee with thr driver you can feel a good but firm compression at impact. The length of the ball off thr tee is right where I expect my distances to be. I don't feel like I have lost or gained any distance from the Pro V1. Same can be said with my irons.
Durability with the ball is great. Honestly, I feel it is a more durable ball than the Pro V1. Granted the newest model of Pro V has been noted to fix that issue, however I have not played enough rounds with their latest offering.
I still have three sleeves left of the Z Stars, so I hopefully have a number or rounds left to figure out this ball more.

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I agree with your ZStar to ProV1 comparison to the letter. Almost identical results for me.

That said my last few rounds have been with the Chrome+ and like it a lot.

Played with the Callaway Hex Chrome + for the first time. Wow! The flight with this ball is unlike any other ball I've played before. High climbing flight and I was longer with each of my irons. Only thing I wasn't used to was the spin was a little less than my normal gamer which is a ProV1x but other than that this ball out shined every other ball I've ever played. Very durable cover and felt great off the putter too. Definitely sticking with this the rest of the season

Started my round with the Callaway Chromes. I picked up a sleeve after hearing so much great stuff about them. Did not enjoy them one bit. Unfortunately doesn't fit my game. I had trouble keeping it from slicing and stoping around the greens. After loosing the second one by the 4th hole I switched back to my trust TopFlite Gamers and things went back to normal (bogey-ish golf). Bummed they didn't work for me but sometimes that's how it goes.

I've played my last 4 rounds with the Taylormade Lethal. I typically play the B330-RX, and the Lethal has a very good chance of making the switch. Good distance and control with every club.

Played the new Z Star XV.... Love it. Phenomenal

I've played my last 4 rounds with the Taylormade Lethal. I typically play the B330-RX, and the Lethal has a very good chance of making the switch. Good distance and control with every club.
I concur on the Lethal. Unfortunately I'm genetically incapable of spending $45 for a dozen balls.

I concur on the Lethal. Unfortunately I'm genetically incapable of spending $45 for a dozen balls.

Yeah, it does hurt a bit, but luckily I'm finally getting to the point that I don't typically lose a ball during a round anymore. I've gotten two rounds out of the same ball and it's not scuffed up too bad yet, so that takes a lot of the sting out when you're only buying a dozen every month or so instead of a dozen a week like I was doing a few months ago.

I am really liking the Bridgestone e6. I got the orange ones from rockbottomgolf for really cheap and they seem to help my slice while still allowing my short-game to be the best part of my game.

I do NOT like the orange color though. I had some yellow ones last fall and liked them, but the orange, while easy to see in flight, can actually be hard to see in the rough for some reason when compared to a white or yellow ball.

I bought a few dozen Srixon XV's just to see if I liked them better than the Z star. Holy crap I love these. Same partial spin for me as the regular Z star but less driver spin and longer as well. I had a blast with these balls today. Played the first one for 14 holes before I got a bit ballsy and tried a shot I usually lay up on and missed carrying it by about 5 yards and dunked it in the water. They were yellow which usually shows less wear to begin with but this ball had seen several full 50 and 54* wedge shots and still looked great.
Glad I bought several dozen for 20 bucks a box.

I tried the XV for 1 hole into the wind and it didn't seem to do as well as the TP red. Somehow I lost it on the par 3 2nd which really ticked me off so I changed to the U4x. I really like the U4x and feel it's a decent replacement for the red. I'm sure I'll feel the same about the XV when I give it a go. Man I hate losing new balls...

I tried the XV for 1 hole into the wind and it didn't seem to do as well as the TP red. Somehow I lost it on the par 3 2nd which really ticked me off so I changed to the U4x. I really like the U4x and feel it's a decent replacement for the red. I'm sure I'll feel the same about the XV when I give it a go. Man I hate losing new balls...

The TP red was a killer ball, I still had several dozen last year but finally ran through them. I bought a lot of Black's when GPP had them down to 14.99 a dozen but ran out of them too. I've got enough Srixon's to last me til next summer now though even as much as I play (unless I go through another spray and pray month like I did in July where I couldn't hit a PW straight to save my life).

The TP red was a killer ball, I still had several dozen last year but finally ran through them. I bought a lot of Black's when GPP had them down to 14.99 a dozen but ran out of them too. I've got enough Srixon's to last me til next summer now though even as much as I play (unless I go through another spray and pray month like I did in July where I couldn't hit a PW straight to save my life).

Yea I bought 6 dozen reds a few years ago from GPP and finally ran out. I traded a couple dozen for a softball bat back in December...love that ball. I have 23 XV tour yellow and 21 U4x to test...so far I really like the Maxfli

Really wish I could make up my mind between the bstone e6 and z star xv. I keep switching between the two and I still like the xv for the spin around the greens but I feel the e6 is the bread winner for me off the tee. Been keeping me much more in the good stuff.

I played a Srizon QStar today & was pretty happy with it. Pretty straight, enough spin & felt good off the club face.

Back