Google Fiber: super high speed internet and TV service

Hard wired:

2857599608.png

um wow

Smalls, can I just say I hate you right now!

That is some stupid speeds you are getting, we could only hope for something like that

One of the supervisors came by just now to see how the install went.

One note, as I was running the speed test on my desktop, my wife said the TV was messing up, getting all pixelated and stuff. The speed test was the cause, so no issues.

I did have one minor issue, as I had the network printer and the desktop plugged into the old modem, as well as my Magic Jack phone system. Well, the new network box only had two free ports after they connected everything they needed to, so the guy who showed up today gave me a NetGear switch for downstairs. So now all is good again.

A small part of me wants to move to KC just for this google fiber :p

This is funny to me because I have never once noticed a click on any cable box I've had.

You probably never changed it from showing the channel. I always had it only show the channel when changing the channel, and then it would go back to the clock.

One note, as I was running the speed test on my desktop, my wife said the TV was messing up, getting all pixelated and stuff. The speed test was the cause, so no issues.

This could be a problem for people down the road. You might start a big download and all the tvs will choke. I wonder how people plan to throttle speeds to ensure that doesn't happen. Might need some kind of QoS at home.

Do you have a link to the channels offered?

Well needless to say I would love to have some Google Fiber in my life. I am sure there will be issues but man this thing seems like it flies. I hope you are enjoying it Smalls.

Sorry new post but thought of a question Smalls is the Nexus 7 the remote for just the TV? Thanks man

This could be a problem for people down the road. You might start a big download and all the tvs will choke. I wonder how people plan to throttle speeds to ensure that doesn't happen. Might need some kind of QoS at home.

Do you have a link to the channels offered?
Channels and more info: https://fiber.google.com/about/

The thing is, your TV will only choke for a few seconds!

Sorry new post but thought of a question Smalls is the Nexus 7 the remote for just the TV? Thanks man
Look at the same link I put above, towards the bottom part of the page. You get a Nexus 7 and download the Google Fiber App. You can use it for your remote, but you also get a real remote too. As far as the app goes, you can use it on any android phone with I think 4.1 or higher. You can also watch TV on them as well through the app!

I am curious to see how this goes for Kansas City and Google. I would nothing more than to throw TWC to the curb.

I am curious to see how this goes for Kansas City and Google. I would nothing more than to throw TWC to the curb.

I would love nothing more than for them to completely go out of business! They have services on Fort Drum monopolized and they know they don't have to satisfy the customer because we can't get anything else here. It really shows whenever we have any kind of problems with our service as they just don't care enough to try to fix them in a timely or satisfying manner.

I would love nothing more than for them to completely go out of business! They have services on Fort Drum monopolized and they know they don't have to satisfy the customer because we can't get anything else here. It really shows whenever we have any kind of problems with our service as they just don't care enough to try to fix them in a timely or satisfying manner.

Completely agree with this. Had a similar situation with them where there was an issue with the line running to my house, was without service and I had to wait a week for them to get out to fix it. When I asked for a credit for not having any service for a week, I was told it was coming and it never did. I gave up after calling back two more times. I would like nothing more than to see some healthy competition for them in the area. Might drive down their ridiculous prices a little, as well improve their customer service.

Good stuff Smalls. Really cool to read about your experiences so far. I really can not believe some of the SpeedTests you are getting, pretty jealous here.

Congrats Smalls, I want Google Fiber!!!

Wasn't sure how much I would really use the Nexus 7, but since you need a box for every TV, it's nice for when I am downstairs working. It only works on the local channels at this time, but it's better than not having anything.

And it takes about three hours to charge it from completely out. (I am on my second charge) The installer put it on the charger when he got here, but it was only on it for about two hours the first time. Of course, it hade some charge when he plugged it in.

Good stuff Smalls. Really cool to read about your experiences so far. I really can not believe some of the SpeedTests you are getting, pretty jealous here.

I can't believe ANY of the speed tests I am getting!

I like that there are buttons where you can fast forward X amount of seconds and rewind X amount of seconds. So I set the forward at 30 seconds and the back at 15 seconds. So now I have commercial skip, and if it goes too far, I can back it up half the amount of the last forward.

I've only seen commercial skip on satellite. I love it.

Jacqui just brought her old alarm clock in so we don't go crazy looking for the clock!

The guy is across the street, but in front of the old lady's house (she has neither internet nor even basic cable). So I am thinking he must be for the people right across from me. They are as anxious to get rid of TWC as everyone else.

Well the guy across the street is all set up. His new network name is (his last name) Fiber. SO I know they are enjoying their new service now!

Google Fiber announced a new sports package. I was already going to have to get the RedZone channel for ten bucks a month when football season started, but now they put it in a package with 11 other channels for the same price. Doubt I will watch much, if any, of the other channels.

THURSDAY, AUGUST 01, 2013

SPORTS!
The MLB is racing towards the postseason, the NFL preseason kicks off this weekend, and college football teams across America are hitting the practice fields. In other words, it’s almost the (arguably) best season for sports, and we’re ready to give you access to all of the sports content you can watch. Today, we’re launching our new Sports Plus package, currently featuring 12 networks all for $10/month (plus tax).

The Sports Plus package options and pricing will vary slightly depending on which Fiber city you live in. Regardless, we’ll have you covered, whether you fancy fishing, fighting, football, fútbol, fastballs or almost anything in between.

For our Kansas City customers, that means you can get:

• NFL RedZone
  • MLB Network Strike Zone
  • Longhorn Network
  • TVG
  • Pac-12 Networks (7 channels)
  • GolTV (English Only)
  • Fight Now TV
  • Outside TV
  • One World Sports
  • World Fishing Network
  • HRTV