Google Fiber: super high speed internet and TV service

Man do I envy you Mike, I just looked at the price for the full package and it is about the same I pay for DirecTv alone. You have all of the essential channels too. Dang do I wish they would come here.

https://fiber.google.com/plans/channels/

When you go to Previous Channel, which is the same button as Last Channel, or Recall, it lets you choose from the last ten channels.

My favorite feature is that I can designate how many seconds it goes auto fast forward or auto rewind. So I have a commercial skip button now. I have the auto FF set at 30 seconds and the auto rewind at 10 seconds for when I FF back into the show I'm watching. I've learned that the most common range for commercial breaks is now 3 to 4-1/2 minutes on most channels.

Just set the DVR for Monday's game between Man City and Newcastle. In fact, Google Fiber gave me the option of recording all games for the EPL, or all games with Newcastle, or all games with Man City. So it looks like I won't have to worry about it anymore! Not sure if it will just be games on the NBC Sports network, or any time they are on TV.

Small, who makes the DVR that google is installing?

I have no idea, True. It doesn't say on the device and the box it came in is put away. I'll see if it says on the box later.

A little birdie told me that Texas Hacker is going to be getting this on Wednesday!

images

With all the new shows we are checking out this year, we are recording more than two shows at a time on several occasions.

Tonight, we have Revolution and Survivor at 7, and Back in the Game at 7:30. Couldn't have done that before with Time Warner.

And, just for fun, this is my laptop:

3068348179.png

And, just for fun, this is my laptop:

3068348179.png

I can't say what I really want to. I live 10 minutes from Google corporate and we do not have it yet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

What's the time frame for nationwide? If Google was in talks with NFL I'd think it'd have to be pretty quick unless they were just discussing a much smaller deal than what DirecTV has now.

What's the time frame for nationwide? If Google was in talks with NFL I'd think it'd have to be pretty quick unless they were just discussing a much smaller deal than what DirecTV has now.

I don't think it's that quick. It's still has a ton more to go inside Kansas City and they have announced Provo and Austin but that's it.

One irritating thing I notice is that when you record a series, it also records movies with the same name sometimes (Anger Management, Trophy Wife) and even shows on the Jewish Channel (The Goldbergs). You gotta make sure to not leave the record option to "All Channels".

Last edited:
Smalls you are gonna laugh when you see this. Comcast slow Internet..... Ugh

ugygu5yz.jpg

We hate our new cable, I'm already to switch right back to Direct.

We now have On Demand movies, sports and TV series. Not a lot of TV shows yet, but it's getting there.

Music channels would be nice to get next.

Google 'Already Working On' 10-Gigabit Internet

Only a select few Midwestern folk currently have access to lightning-fast gigabit Internet, courtesy of Google Fiber. But the Silicon Valley dreamers are already a step ahead, working on 10-gigabit speeds. During the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet conference this week, Google CFO Patrick Pichette shed some light on the next wave of Web access. "There is an obsessive focus on speed at Google," he said Wednesday, recounting tales of office squabbles over mere milliseconds.

It's that obsession which led to the launch of Google Fiber's 1 gigabit Internet access and TV service in Kansas City almost two years ago. The system promises fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) connections that are "100 times faster than what most Americans have access to today," Google said at the time. It has since expanded to neighboring Kansas City suburbs, as well as

But why stop at just 1 gigabit? Well, Google isn't.

"After a gig it'll be 10 gigs," Pichette said. "So we're already working on 10 gigs because we know a gig works now."

He explained that Google Fiber is currently moving at a 10-year pace, perhaps expecting to hit 10 gigabits by 2022. But there's no reason why the company can't quicken the process.

"That's what we're really doing," he said. "We're saying, 'Why wait?' We need to invest in the infrastructure," which the search giant believes could allow for widespread 10-gigabit service within three years.

"The great news is, that's where the world is going," Pichette explained. "The wave is inevitable."

He provided no further details about which areas may be next in line to receive Google Fiber service, but suggested that consumers "stay tuned" for more location announcements.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2453466,00.asp

https://fiber.google.com/newcities/

The future metro areas:

map.png

Arizona
- Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe
California
- San Jose, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Palo Alto
Georgia
- Atlanta, Avondale Estates, Brookhaven, College Park, Decatur, East Point, Hapeville, Sandy Springs, Smyrna
North Carolina
- Charlotte, Carrboro, Cary, Chapel Hill, Durham, Garner, Morrisville, Raleigh
Oregon
- Portland, Beaverton, Hillsboro, Gresham, Lake Oswego, Tigard
Tennessee
- Nashville-Davidson
Texas
- San Antonio
Utah
- Salt Lake City

As of now, all of those cities are hopefuls. So I'm really hoping San Antonio makes the cut and brings it in!

I know it's a long shot, but I sure hope they come to Nebraska!

Kyle I think you and me are both screwed being out in BFE. Shoot I am lucky I got 4G LTE. I don't understand why other companies haven't jumped on the high speed journey like google is doing.
I know it's a long shot, but I sure hope they come to Nebraska!

Back