Google Fiber: super high speed internet and TV service

Kyle I think you and me are both screwed being out in BFE. Shoot I am lucky I got 4G LTE. I don't understand why other companies haven't jumped on the high speed journey like google is doing.

Not worth it. They can just milk the majority with relatively low speeds at stupid outrageous prices coupled with poor service. Major win.

Google makes money the more people use the internet. If they had the resources, they would wire the entire country with cheaper but superior speeds.

Signed up!!!! Now I just have to wait until June to see if we get enough interest. I know most of the people around me are wanting it. I do have one question tho: Do we need a box for each tv? If so I need to list a couple more boxes.

Signed up!!!! Now I just have to wait until June to see if we get enough interest. I know most of the people around me are wanting it. I do have one question tho: Do we need a box for each tv? If so I need to list a couple more boxes.

Yep. Each TV needs a box. That's 5 bucks a month for two years or you can buy them for $120 each. I don't know how many floors in your house, but put the Network box on whatever floor you use your wireless devices most. Each TV box not in the room that the Network box is in will be set up to be a wireless extender, which is nice. I had to run a hard wire down through the floor and downstairs ceiling off the utility room and then through the wall to my office and hook it up to a switch because I had too many things that had to hook up upstairs.

What is cool though, and different than what I was used to with Time Warner, is that all your shows you record go on the storage box, NOT the TV box, so you can watch your recorded shows on any TV.

We hate our new cable, I'm already to switch right back to Direct.

Without NFL Ticket, any internet/cable TV package is just lipstick on a pig.:beauty:

Without NFL Ticket, any internet/cable TV package is just lipstick on a pig.:beauty:

Don't need Sunday Ticket with RedZone. :eyepoke:

And you don't have to settle for Satellite either, hahaha.

Yep. Each TV needs a box. That's 5 bucks a month for two years or you can buy them for $120 each. I don't know how many floors in your house, but put the Network box on whatever floor you use your wireless devices most. Each TV box not in the room that the Network box is in will be set up to be a wireless extender, which is nice. I had to run a hard wire down through the floor and downstairs ceiling off the utility room and then through the wall to my office and hook it up to a switch because I had too many things that had to hook up upstairs.

What is cool though, and different than what I was used to with Time Warner, is that all your shows you record go on the storage box, NOT the TV box, so you can watch your recorded shows on any TV.

Thanks Smalls. I figured you'd chime in for me. I put in for two boxes, but thinking I should add one more. Right now, Time Warner comes in through the basement , and then up. The problem is that everything I have is basically on the second floor except for the desktop. I have nothing on the main floor that would use either wired, or wireless.

City council will be voting on this this week, and most are expecting it to pass! WOO!

Thanks Smalls. I figured you'd chime in for me. I put in for two boxes, but thinking I should add one more. Right now, Time Warner comes in through the basement , and then up. The problem is that everything I have is basically on the second floor except for the desktop. I have nothing on the main floor that would use either wired, or wireless.

Just tell them when they come to install it where the wireless is. They should run it into your house upstairs, I would think. Our main floor is the second floor (raised ranch house).

Just tell them when they come to install it where the wireless is. They should run it into your house upstairs, I would think. Our main floor is the second floor (raised ranch house).

Got it, thanks! I'm so excited. Can't wait until June.

It's exciting that this is making it's way into other cities. Soon the cable companies everywhere will have their work cut out for them.

It's exciting that this is making it's way into other cities. Soon the cable companies everywhere will have their work cut out for them.

Yes they are. I'm just glad I'm in the KC area, so that means that the guys around here already have experience putting it in, so it should hopefully be a smooth transition around here.

Got this good news in an email from them this morning:

"Now, you can create custom versions of the on-screen guide on your Fiber TV. You can have a separate guide for each person in your household or guides based on your favorite types of content, such as sports, news, or kid’s shows, making it easy for you and your family to quickly get to your favorite content.

To get started, from the main menu, navigate to Apps & More > Settings > Customize, and select Manage next to Customized Guides."

This is one thing that I have missed that Time Warner had. I've already set it up so now I don't have to go through a bunch of channels we never watch. It sounds like a small thing, but it will be a nice addition.

These are from 7/23/13 and 7/24/13

Tuesday at 2 PM! They said it will take about three hours.

Then adios, Time Warner!

Yep, it's a done deal dude. First they ran the cable from the pole to the house last Saturday. Then on Monday or Tuesday they attached the fiber to the terminals. Then the day after tomorrow they run the wires inside the house and turn it on.

HHJJHHJJHHJJHHJJ!

Look who is here early!

a9ynyvus.jpg

It's been up and running for a while. He got here around 12:30 and left by 3:00. I have been busy trying to get the DVR set up (being able to record 8 shows at one time is going to make it easy not to have to find other times shows like Big Break, Feherty, and other shows on cable networks will be airing).

He said to make sure to turn off the box, and not just the TV when we aren't using it, as the boxes take up a lot of the Fiber capacity. So I tried it, and at least on wireless, there is a difference, but it is minimal.

Here is my first speed test on the wireless side. I haven't run a wire downstairs yet. It's close to what he said it would be to start, and he said after everything gets updated it should be a bit faster.

2855854520.png

Jacqui said she didn't expect that big a difference, but she is like "You click on it and it's there. Wow." Hahaha.

Could be just because I hated Time Warner so much, but the TV picture looks better. Jacqui thought the same thing. The Nexus 7 is a nice touch, Tapatalk is definitely nicer on it than on my S4!.

Speeds are better than yesterday. I had posted in the internet speed thread, but I just got this one a few minutes ago:

2857246076.png

Still seeing the trucks drive by, heading to more people's homes. I am curious as to how big a hit Time Warner is going to take. Obviously the people who only have TV service can't switch to this, but I would love to see how many Road Runner subscribers ditch them.

I still miss the clock. Going to have to fix that soon.

Hard wired:

2857599608.png

One of the supervisors came by just now to see how the install went.

One note, as I was running the speed test on my desktop, my wife said the TV was messing up, getting all pixelated and stuff. The speed test was the cause, so no issues.

I did have one minor issue, as I had the network printer and the desktop plugged into the old modem, as well as my Magic Jack phone system. Well, the new network box only had two free ports after they connected everything they needed to, so the guy who showed up today gave me a NetGear switch for downstairs. So now all is good again.

We've had this setup for a year and a month now, and to say I am satisfied just doesn't seem to be enough. I have only had minor issues, and they were able to take care of them without even coming out, and in one phone call. The only time I'v had someone here is because they were across the street for something, and he went ahead and came over right then instead of setting up an appointment.

I drove by our local Time Warner office earlier today and flipped them off as I drove by, hahaha.

In less than a year the price will go down by 5 bucks a month because the second tv box we have will be paid for.

Those speeds are impressive and the price is much lower than Time Warner. Heck, even their free internet option is faster than TW's. Though at the pace of their rollout I'll be dead before it ever gets here.

Do you find special content that takes advantage of the speed or do you just enjoy basic internet only faster?

Those speeds are impressive and the price is much lower than Time Warner. Heck, even their free internet option is faster than TW's. Though at the pace of their rollout I'll be dead before it ever gets here.

Do you find special content that takes advantage of the speed or do you just enjoy basic internet only faster?
I don't do gaming, which from what I hear, would be awesome with this service. With us, it's mostly the Fiber TV service that is best for us. Such a great picture that is multi times better than what we got with Time Warner. Watching videos is about as far as we go, and not dealing with buffering is pretty nice. Although no matter what speeds Google Fiber has, it can only get from a site as fast as the site is uploading.

Where it really stands out over Time Warner is the actual service. With minimal issues compared to what we had before, it's incredible for us.

Expansion time: GOOGLE WILL OFFER FIBER IN ATLANTA, NASHVILLE, RALEIGH, AND CHARLOTTE

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/26/7919167/google-fiber-launching-in-atlanta-nasville-raleigh-charlotte

Expansion time: GOOGLE WILL OFFER FIBER IN ATLANTA, NASHVILLE, RALEIGH, AND CHARLOTTE

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/26/7919167/google-fiber-launching-in-atlanta-nasville-raleigh-charlotte

Will be nice to have the google option now as well. That will make four Fiber gigabit providers in Raleigh I am a bit surprised they didnt pick an area without any already there but am happy Raleigh made the cut

Really wish Chicagoland would make the cut :) Need some price and performance competition for Comcast!

Expansion_plans_web_v2_large.png

I should move that way. I'm stuck with Time Warner, over here.
Will be nice to have the google option now as well. That will make four Fiber gigabit providers in Raleigh I am a bit surprised they didnt pick an area without any already there but am happy Raleigh made the cut

And to think just 15 years ago only 2% of Americans had a broadband connection! I sometimes miss the old days, especially when I watch my teenagers hanging out with their friends and they are all in the same room but all are on their smartphones. No wonder sexual activity for teens is at it's lowest rate in 25 years. They are all on their damn computers and phones!:act-up:

And to think just 15 years ago only 2% of Americans had a broadband connection! I sometimes miss the old days, especially when I watch my teenagers hanging out with their friends and they are all in the same room but all are on their smartphones. No wonder sexual activity for teens is at it's lowest rate in 25 years. They are all on their damn computers and phones!:act-up:

They are sexting instead of sexing!

They are sexting instead of sexing!

I'm glad I went to high school in the 1980's. My fun would have been seriously curtailed if my parents could've tracked me or expected to get a hold of me on a smartphone!

They are expanding to businesses here in KC now. The insurance office I go to when I need to pick things up got notice in the mail. They are going to have phone service too.

Depending on the contract the golf course signed with Time Warner (they think it was two years, so they are a year into it), they will be looking into it as well.

Back