The Mildly Amusing Thread

I spoke to a woman on the phone today and her last name was Bell-Peppers. What a great name. It made me smile.

I called the management company that handles the lease on this house today and told them I would not renew my lease unless they came off the price at least 30%. The lady on the other end said, "Oh no, your house is owned by that crazy lady." She is right but I could not believe she said it out loud. LOL!

I spoke to a woman on the phone today and her last name was Bell-Peppers. What a great name. It made me smile.

Did you ever see The Simpsons episode where Homer needs to lose weight and works with a nutritionist type woman? The answer to every craving is "eat a bell pepper".

Kevin

Did you ever see The Simpsons episode where Homer needs to lose weight and works with a nutritionist type woman? The answer to every craving is "eat a bell pepper".

Kevin

No - I didn't see that. You always make me smile too though.

No - I didn't see that. You always make me smile too though.

How nice. Thank you. I get a kick out of you, too, cupcake. Speaking of cupcakes. Sounds like you're doing you some fancy cooking for the Holiday. No big pile of cupcakes? Not even as a side snack?

Kevin

How nice. Thank you. I get a kick out of you, too, cupcake. Speaking of cupcakes. Sounds like you're doing you some fancy cooking for the Holiday. No big pile of cupcakes? Not even as a side snack?

Kevin

Thanksgiving is at my parent's so my mother dictates the menu. No cupcakes. What are you making besides your briny turkey? I'm sure I'm going to be very jealous - your descriptions always make me hungry.

Thanksgiving I usually just do the heavy work. Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing. My sisters bring the sides. My friend and his daughters are eating with us and he's making the basic green bean casserole because the kids like it.

Since the Packers play the Lions tomorrow, we almost have double meal thing going. Appetizers will abound. Each sister is brining something, my niece and her fiance are bringing something, and my friend is making a roasted pepper/goat cheese something or other. I'm doing a cheese and sausage platter, and a rolled out puff pastry filled with sauteed mushrooms and Boursin cheese.

We have my family on Christmas Eve for an Hors D'oeuvres party where I really go to town. I have a cook book titled Little Foods of the Mediterranean that I really like, and I usually make a few dishes from that, as well as some seafood apps, meat apps, and cold veggie apps.

Kevin

We have my family on Christmas Eve for an hors doeuvres party where I really go to town. I have a cook book titled Little Foods of the Mediterranean that I really like, and I usually make a few dishes from that, as well as some seafood apps, meat apps, and cold veggie apps.

Kevin

That sounds like so much fun. I love hor doeuvres. Don't forget to tell us your menu for that. I have an easy recipe for sausage and Robiola crostini if you're interested. Do they sell Italian cheeses in WI?

There's a couple of fine Italian groceries in my area that sell most anything, including a wide range of cheeses. PM me the recipe if you'd be so kind, I'd love to try it. Snacking parties are the best.

Kevin

Boo Girl and I have the tree mostly decorated. We are both dripping tinsel. However, we realized it wouldn't be OUR Christmas tree without:
  • Chewbacca brandishing a machine gun
  • A feathered tiara
  • Batman and Robin
  • A lobster in a kayak
  • Karate boy and ballerina girl
Part of me can't wait until they grow up and leave--with "their" ornaments.

Sorry Claire, Chewbaca had a bowcaster gun, not a machine gun. A cool ornament none the less.

I knew someone would correct me on that; thanks.

My children both have traditional names with lots of natural nicknames/diminutives. Each has had a nickname since birth. The Kid recently decided to change his moniker--to the only natural nickname that could register on the Middle School Torture Meter.

Last night, I got to explain to him what his new name would devolve into, what the other kids would do with it, and what it means (we're talking Middle School boys here, after all). Well, he knew the part about what it means, but he hadn't connected all the dots. Bottom line: he's keeping the nickname we gave him.

Speaking of changing names:

[YOUTUBE]txmd5trrv6c [/YOUTUBE]

The Kid's Social Studies class is working on Latin America, and each student is assigned a different country. Part of the project is to create an ad campaign, promoting that country and encouraging people to visit.

The Kid has El Salvador. It ranks right up there worldwide in terms of deforestation, poverty, pollution, you name it. So The Kid is really struggling to figure out why ANYONE would want to go there. Here's what we've come up with so far for slogans:
  • El Salvador: better than North Korea
  • El Salvador: no nuns killed in 30 years
  • El Salvador: Hell doesn't freeze over

The Kid's Social Studies class is working on Latin America, and each student is assigned a different country. Part of the project is to create an ad campaign, promoting that country and encouraging people to visit.

The Kid has El Salvador. It ranks right up there worldwide in terms of deforestation, poverty, pollution, you name it. So The Kid is really struggling to figure out why ANYONE would want to go there. Here's what we've come up with so far for slogans:
El Salvadorians also have some of the best mullets in all of Latin America.

And pupusa's kick ass too. I dont know if you have any pupusarias by you, but you should take him to one.

Pupusas do kick ass. Had to go to DC to get some, but I had about 50. Maybe The Kid could find a book or episode of No Reservations where Tony Bourdain talks about how Salvadorans are great line cooks/chefs. Second only to Mexicans.

Kevin

Pupusas do kick ass. Had to go to DC to get some, but I had about 50. Maybe The Kid could find a book or episode of No Reservations where Tony Bourdain talks about how Salvadorans are great line cooks/chefs. Second only to Mexicans.

Kevin

We have pupusarias all over the place out here, you would be in heaven. I have a good mix of Mexicans, Salvadorians and Guatemalans working with me so I get the inside line to all of the good spots.

El Salvador: Fun to Say With a Cheesy Accent! Ellllll Sssss-AAAL-VAH-door.

El Salvador: Spanish for "The Salvador"

El Salvador: Where D.C. Politicians Shop for Tax Free Nannies and Housekeepers.

El Salvador: Like Hell, But Warmer.

El Salvador: A Boil on the Butt of Guatemala

El Salvador: You Can Use U.S. Dollars to Buy Your Drugs Here!

El Salvador: Seriously, You're Giving Me El Salvador for My Project? Well Screw You and the Burro You Rode in On

El Salvadorians also have some of the best mullets in all of Latin America.

Oh great--we can have him look for photos of those as well.

And pupusa's kick ass too. I dont know if you have any pupusarias by you, but you should take him to one.

Okay, it looks like I should bite (both ways): what's a pupusa?

El Salvador: Fun to Say With a Cheesy Accent! Ellllll Sssss-AAAL-VAH-door.

El Salvador: Spanish for "The Salvador"

El Salvador: Where D.C. Politicians Shop for Tax Free Nannies and Housekeepers.

El Salvador: Like Hell, But Warmer.

El Salvador: A Boil on the Butt of Guatemala

El Salvador: You Can Use U.S. Dollars to Buy Your Drugs Here!

El Salvador: Seriously, You're Giving Me El Salvador for My Project? Well Screw You and the Burro You Rode in On

You left one out-- El Salvador: At least San Salvador is easier to say (and spell) than Tigucigalpa.

Back