Golf Pride Niion Grips Review - Forum Testing

Sparks -- I meant to ask you this past weekend. How did the grips hold up in the rain on Saturday?

My current grips were not doing too well once the rain started. Even the slightest bit of weather made them slick.

I haven't played in rain yet, only mornings after a night of storms. So while the rain wasn't consistently making my grips wet, any time I left a club laying in the grass while putting or something, they would get soaked. After a quick wipe with the towel though they were back to normal without any left over moisture. Granted I've only played in 3 rounds like that, the grips have held up great during and after.

Sparks -- I meant to ask you this past weekend. How did the grips hold up in the rain on Saturday?

My current grips were not doing too well once the rain started. Even the slightest bit of weather made them slick.

I'm glad you asked. I meant to post an update when I got back but it has been very hectic.

The grips held up well in the rain Saturday. During the hardest rain it was hard to keep them dry, well it was impossible really. I toweled them off as close to time to hit as possible and always tried to keep them under towel when waiting.

That said they weren't dry when I hit them that's for sure. I was hesitant before my first few wet swings but I was able to swing pretty confidently as I got used to it. I did not have any "oh crap" moments where I thought I was going to lose the club and I didn't have any errant shots due to the club twisting on me.

I hate playing in the rain...not gonna lie. The grips surprised me and I don't feel like that aspect of my game was affected by the rain. If I had, HAD, to play in the rain again I feel confident that I have these grips on my clubs.

Did I mention I hate playing in the rain? This was only my second time playing in a good rain like this and last time I had VDR grips on most of my clubs along with some stock grips. These definitely outperformed both the VDR and stock grips. Sorry that I can't compare them to other grips in rainy situations. I honestly thought Atlanta would let me test these in hot, humid conditions but we all know that didn't happen!

Thanks, guys.

I did have a few "oh crap" moments on the course during the rains Saturday, and it really made me start thinking about my grips. I had 2-3 shots where the club just slipped in my hand causing some pretty wayward shots. Nothing was going to stay bone dry that afternoon, but it would have been better to play a grip that I knew would not slip (or at least not by a lot).

Thanks, guys.

I did have a few "oh crap" moments on the course during the rains Saturday, and it really made me start thinking about my grips. I had 2-3 shots where the club just slipped in my hand causing some pretty wayward shots. Nothing was going to stay bone dry that afternoon, but it would have been better to play a grip that I knew would not slip (or at least not by a lot).

What glove(s) were you using?

I rocked them in a nonstop downpour a couple weeks ago in a round with my dad, they handled it like a champ.

What glove(s) were you using?

Titleist (don't remember which one. the "cheaper" one of the two) and Callaway TA.

The Callaway was the better performer, but the grips were definitely the bigger culprit. I even hit a couple shots without a glove to see if the glove was making it worse. It wasn't.

Unsure if anyone asked this or not, but do any of the testers know how these compare to the Tour Velvets? I loved mine on my previous clubs, and my new ones are in need of a regrip, and I would like to bring some color to my grips if I can. Thanks in advanced.

Unsure if anyone asked this or not, but do any of the testers know how these compare to the Tour Velvets? I loved mine on my previous clubs, and my new ones are in need of a regrip, and I would like to bring some color to my grips if I can. Thanks in advanced.

I did mention it briefly. I had the Velvets last year. I thought they were fine until it got very muggy, the Velvets got sticky in my hands. Not tacky, but sticky. I hated that about those grips. These seem to get softer as it gets hot. No stickiness.

The Niions are going to be softer in my opinion. I also believe that the moisture management of the Niions is superior to the Tour Velvets, especially in very muggy conditions.

I rocked them in a nonstop downpour a couple weeks ago in a round with my dad, they handled it like a champ.
That's good to hear, when they work in the elements is key for a grip!

That's good to hear, when they work in the elements is key for a grip!

The softness of the Niions really helps. That softness feels like it comes partly from the texture of the grip (like face milling a putter). The texture sure does help channel moisture away as well. The rubber compound feels like it does a good job of not absorbing anything. Which doesn't do much for me in the rain because I haven't play a ton of rainy rounds, but helps a lot in muggy conditions.

I wasn't able to get all of the clubs together for the testing I was planning, so I went out and played a quick 9 instead.
Temps in the 80's and humid, Montaup CC, walked 9

I made a consious effort yesterday to play most clubs with and without a glove to get a good feel for both. I normally play with a glove for everything except for greenside chipping and putting, so this was a bit different. While I didn't notice and slipping of the club or twisting when I played without the glove, I did still feel more "in control" with the added grip from the glove on my left hand. At one point I poured some water over my PW grip and executed a shot as if it were dry. With the glove on, there was no question in my mind that there was absolutely no way that club was going to turn in my hand I just felt confident that I would be able to execute the shot. These really feel comfortable in my hands as well, like the feeling of your favorite most comfortable shoes on your feet, you know they are there/on but they are so comfortable you don't think about them.

I had a few errant shots yesterday (shocking, I know!) and on each one was able to tell right away whether I hit it fat or thin, on the heel or toe. The amount of feedback in these grips continues to impress me compared to the stock grips I was playing previously. can grips make you a better player? Not sure, but the confidence I get with these in hand, and the feedback certainly has helped me figure out what's going on and execute better shots.

They are also getting a little dirty, which I was expecting to happen. Not to the point where it's noticeable from afar, but dirty enough in the grooves and patterns for my OCD to warrant a cleaning soon. I will post pics of that. All-in-all, impressed so far, and can see and feel the ehancements over playing a stock grip.

Think I'm gonna grab some for my Hyrons, just hate these stock grips

Think I'm gonna grab some for my Hyrons, just hate these stock grips

I have 5 on mine right now and I adore them for golf here in TX. Once I get a set of CTLs they will be every club in the bag but my putter.

I have 5 on mine right now and I adore them for golf here in TX. Once I get a set of CTLs they will be every club in the bag but my putter.

Oh, hey there, you're welcome.....again.

I'm glad you asked. I meant to post an update when I got back but it has been very hectic.

The grips held up well in the rain Saturday. During the hardest rain it was hard to keep them dry, well it was impossible really. I toweled them off as close to time to hit as possible and always tried to keep them under towel when waiting.

That said they weren't dry when I hit them that's for sure. I was hesitant before my first few wet swings but I was able to swing pretty confidently as I got used to it. I did not have any "oh crap" moments where I thought I was going to lose the club and I didn't have any errant shots due to the club twisting on me.

I hate playing in the rain...not gonna lie. The grips surprised me and I don't feel like that aspect of my game was affected by the rain. If I had, HAD, to play in the rain again I feel confident that I have these grips on my clubs.

Did I mention I hate playing in the rain? This was only my second time playing in a good rain like this and last time I had VDR grips on most of my clubs along with some stock grips. These definitely outperformed both the VDR and stock grips. Sorry that I can't compare them to other grips in rainy situations. I honestly thought Atlanta would let me test these in hot, humid conditions but we all know that didn't happen!

I meant to come in and make a similar comment. I have the Blue/Yellow Niions on most of my clubs, and even though it was pouring for the last 5 holes we played out in Atlanta on Saturday, I was really impressed in hindsight at how well these performed with very wet hands. I forget that I have a VDR on the driver still, and I was struggling with the grip on that club (as well as other swing issues), but I don't remember having any shots where the club slipped with an iron or hybrid down the stretch there. Now that I think about it, I played nine holes in the rain with them a few months back, and similarly saw very positive grip with the Niions.

Says the guy trying/wanting to play an almost identical setup as me.

If I wasnt then you wouldnt be doing you job, right?

#ponderingmadeeasy

If I wasnt then you wouldnt be doing you job, right?

#ponderingmadeeasy

I don't remember a section on stalkers being in my job description. Hmmmmm.... :alien:

I meant to come in and make a similar comment. I have the Blue/Yellow Niions on most of my clubs, and even though it was pouring for the last 5 holes we played out in Atlanta on Saturday, I was really impressed in hindsight at how well these performed with very wet hands. I forget that I have a VDR on the driver still, and I was struggling with the grip on that club (as well as other swing issues), but I don't remember having any shots where the club slipped with an iron or hybrid down the stretch there. Now that I think about it, I played nine holes in the rain with them a few months back, and similarly saw very positive grip with the Niions.

Donne, this is good information. I've played and liked the VDRs in the past, but I struggle sometimes with moisture on my grips in humid conditions, so if you're saying the Niions are better, that's good stuff. I just acquired a 3 wood with a Niion grip on it, looking forward to testing that out.

Donne, this is good information. I've played and liked the VDRs in the past, but I struggle sometimes with moisture on my grips in humid conditions, so if you're saying the Niions are better, that's good stuff. I just acquired a 3 wood with a Niion grip on it, looking forward to testing that out.

WAAAAAAAAY better dude. I was a VDR fan but these are so much nicer to me its not even funny.

Maybe it's the more detailed pattern on the Niion, or maybe the slightly softer material than the VDR, not sure. I defintely like the Niion overall better than the VDR. Switch to the Niions from the NDMCs and while the grip certainly isn't to the NDMC cord standard, you're not going to rip your hands open with the Niions either. They seem to be a good compromise between grip and comfort.

These aren't released yet to purchase but I WANT them!

Grey%20Niions-M.jpg

I tweet Golf Pride every once in a while because those Grey ones are AWESOME!

These aren't released yet to purchase but I WANT them!

Grey%20Niions-M.jpg

I tweet Golf Pride every once in a while because those Grey ones are AWESOME!

Oh my. The grey ones. Ohhhhh my.

Back