Golf Pride Niion Grips Review - Forum Testing

WAAAAAAAAY better dude. I was a VDR fan but these are so much nicer to me its not even funny.

I support this...

WAAAAAAAAY better dude. I was a VDR fan but these are so much nicer to me its not even funny.

Maybe it's the more detailed pattern on the Niion, or maybe the slightly softer material than the VDR, not sure. I defintely like the Niion overall better than the VDR. Switch to the Niions from the NDMCs and while the grip certainly isn't to the NDMC cord standard, you're not going to rip your hands open with the Niions either. They seem to be a good compromise between grip and comfort.

Now both of you are going to make me spend more money. ARGH. ;-)

I like the looks of those Greg ones

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Now both of you are going to make me spend more money. ARGH. ;-)

I think you'll dig the one on your 3w buddy. I really do.

There goes Deano, liking greg again. Sheesh.

I think you'll dig the one on your 3w buddy. I really do.

There goes Deano, liking greg again. Sheesh.

Love me some Greg. GregDan to be exact

Those gray ones are sweet looking! With just enough color in the hex pattern to make them stick out...

These aren't released yet to purchase but I WANT them!

Grey%20Niions-M.jpg

I tweet Golf Pride every once in a while because those Grey ones are AWESOME!

The grey ones are very nice. Look forward to seeing other colors released whenever that occurs.

Grey%20Niions-M.jpg

Those are nice. I am in love however with the bright colors. So much personality in just a grip. Plus, if people look at my grip, hopefully they won't notice that I am playing a Covert.

Grey%20Niions-M.jpg

Those look made for THP right there!!!

Golf Pride Niion Grip Testing
Previous grip: Golf Pride Z Chord

This testing has gotten super tricky. Manly, the honeymoon and adjustment period is now over.

With that said, I think I am officially converted to the soft-ish grips. I have been working on my clubhead release. I always liked the firmer Z Chord grips because I knew the grip wouldn’t twist. I have not noticed and give or over compression with the Niions. I don’t feel them bottom out, like I do with a soft wrap. I do like how these grips feel in the humidity and sweat. There isn’t any stickiness. I cannot express how much I hated that stickiness with the Tour Velvets.

I am a little worried how these grips are going to hold up. Like I mentioned before, I am feeling a spot where my hands have worn a spot into the grips, like a cradle. I am worried if I will see some slippage with this wear. As it stands now, I haven’t noticed any issues.

My grips are still pretty clean. The green has held its color nicely. I have not seen any darkening of the green on the grips or seen any green staining my glove or hand. I don’t know why it would, but that’s not the point.

I did get a compliment from a playing partner earlier this week about how nice the green looked. They are stunning grips and really do add some nice personality. I don’t think I would change to a more pedestrian grip color at this stage. Not anytime soon at least.

I am still really happy with how well these grips feel with the built up tape base. It is a really smooth transition from butt to tip on the grips. There is still a really nice taper which I can feel with my release point work.

Golf Pride Niion Grip Testing
Previous grip: Golf Pride Z Chord

This testing has gotten super tricky. Manly, the honeymoon and adjustment period is now over.

With that said, I think I am officially converted to the soft-ish grips. I have been working on my clubhead release. I always liked the firmer Z Chord grips because I knew the grip wouldn’t twist. I have not noticed and give or over compression with the Niions. I don’t feel them bottom out, like I do with a soft wrap. I do like how these grips feel in the humidity and sweat. There isn’t any stickiness. I cannot express how much I hated that stickiness with the Tour Velvets.

I am a little worried how these grips are going to hold up. Like I mentioned before, I am feeling a spot where my hands have worn a spot into the grips, like a cradle. I am worried if I will see some slippage with this wear. As it stands now, I haven’t noticed any issues.

My grips are still pretty clean. The green has held its color nicely. I have not seen any darkening of the green on the grips or seen any green staining my glove or hand. I don’t know why it would, but that’s not the point.

I did get a compliment from a playing partner earlier this week about how nice the green looked. They are stunning grips and really do add some nice personality. I don’t think I would change to a more pedestrian grip color at this stage. Not anytime soon at least.

I am still really happy with how well these grips feel with the built up tape base. It is a really smooth transition from butt to tip on the grips. There is still a really nice taper which I can feel with my release point work.

I definitely agree with you on being converted to soft-ish grips. For the same reasons you mentioned (twisting) I have stayed away from soft grips, but now I don't have to do that. I can have the best of both worlds with having a soft grip with great stability and feedback.

I definitely agree with you on being converted to soft-ish grips. For the same reasons you mentioned (twisting) I have stayed away from soft grips, but now I don't have to do that. I can have the best of both worlds with having a soft grip with great stability and feedback.

I might even say that my hands aren't as tired after a long range session or a round. Which is nice.

I might even say that my hands aren't as tired after a long range session or a round. Which is nice.

I second that, and I think it's because I've let up on my grip pressure a bit.

That is honestly something I've never thought about. I guess I've never really noticed my hands getting tired, but I'm definitely going to try and make a mental note on how my hands feel before and after a range session.

90% humidity in Wisco today. I have to find some time to get out and swing the wrenches in the mugginess.

90% humidity in Wisco today. I have to find some time to get out and swing the wrenches in the mugginess.

I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts on this. Humidity seems to give me issues with these grips. Most of my buddies that have them think I'm crazy but they just don't seem tacky enough.

I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts on this. Humidity seems to give me issues with these grips. Most of my buddies that have them think I'm crazy but they just don't seem tacky enough.

I have two of them on my wedges to try out and right now I am on the fence. I don't dislike them, but I don't love them either.

I have two of them on my wedges to try out and right now I am on the fence. I don't dislike them, but I don't love them either.

What were you coming from? They do have a very different feel than a chord.

I switched from VDR's to New Decade Multi Compound. The Niion is certainly better than the VDR, in my opinion. I only switched my driver over to the Niion so to be fair, I haven't given them too much of a shot VS. the Multi Compound.

Coming from the Z Chords to the Niions has been a night and day change. But the Niions have performed well.

My previous grip was the NDMC's and so far I've been liking the Niions more than the NDMC's. The one thing that always bugged me about the NDMC's was when I choked up for a shorter shot my left hand would be half cord and the other half non-cord. Gave a really awkward feeling to me. Niions feel consistent throughout the entire grip.

I have a range session planned for tomorrow, can't wait to get back out with these!

I have had these grips since they first came out earlier this year. i had the golf pride new decades on for a few years, loved them but they were a bit rough on the hands. i got one grip and put it on my hybrid and feel in love. soft enough not to tear up my hands, but just tacky enough not to grip the club too tight or throw it. the feel of the grip just exudes confidence, taking a full swing or half swing. i got three of the color combos they offer: white/green for my woods/hybrid, green/white for my irons, and the brigh orange for my wedges. put on two wraps of tape under them and havent looked back since. best grips i have had.

Back