Replacement in 2010?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
With the year coming to an end, I wanted to take a quick peek into the minds of our readers and ask what equipment or gear they will be adding to their stable for 2010? New clubs? New GPS or Rangefinder?

What is your reason for switching out, and what are you thinking about getting?

Well for one Im not shy about replacing anything in my bag if something comes out that just blows the other something away. So everything that joins my bag is put on notice as soon as it joins. But the things that Im most likely to cheat on or get Tiger-ed if you will are drivers and putters. There always seems to be something longer, straighter or with better feel coming out. Theres just something about that sexy new driver! I feel ya Tiger! Im also eyeing a new full color GPS to replace my non color one. I like how the Garmin has the scorecard feature built into it.

Well I wound up the fall getting a couple of fairway woods that I hit better than any tried before,the new (now old)Cleveland launcher and the 2007 model TM burner both in 3 w.Played one buddies burner loved it. Got one stiffer shaft than his didn't like as well.I put a nv in the burner and loved. Played another buddies launcher and fell in love.So I got one.Don't know which will win out as it has gotten pretty cold.I also picked up a set of eye 2's that I might play instead of the Titleist 775.cb's I have been playing.Don't know why I'm making that move as I holed one from the rough 100 yds out on the second hole last time I played them.I also picked up a couple of Mizuno MX500 drivers that are starting to show me why I got them.Another trail by buddies equipment.All in all for me I'm in equipment heaven as I am happy with what I have and disappointments cant be blamed on the equipment.Anyway I'm usually at least 2 years behind what's new and that doesn't bother me in the least.

I will be looking at wedges. I played this year (my first) with the PW that came with my Nickents and a SW. The last few rounds of the season I finally started to have a bit of success close to the green so a I want to expand in this area. I have been considering a GPS but not before the wedges.

My wallet is still gasping from first year pains of 2 new golfers in the same household. :beat-up:

I will be adding a new putter to my bag in 2010 and more than likely a new cleveland cg15 wedge. Honostly, the reviews composed here have played a major role in what's on my "hot-list", so thanks JB, GG, Harry, and everyone else who pours their honosty out there, it really makes a difference....at least for me.

Would love to get a new putter (mine is 5-7 yrs old) but whenever I start to get serious about looking for a replacement, I have a fantastic putting day which makes me rethink the switch. I swear the putter knows it's at the top of the list to be switched out! If I don't switch out the putter I'd like to get a sand wedge with a little more spin to it. The Mizzie wedges are great on feel but seem lacking in spin compared to the Cleveland and Callaway wedges I've been playing around with.

I'm gonna get some new cleveland cg 15 wedges and switch up my wedge set up some. I seem to limit my choices too much with my current set up. I'm also gonna consider getting a new set of R9's at the first of the spring. I'm still trying to decide. I'm really liking the Rife putter I just switched to and I don't see anything out right now that allows me to set up so consistently that I will make as many putts as I'm making with this putter. So 2010 will be a slow year for me on the equipment front.

I will be looking for a very forgiving 3FW. I played with Titleist 909F2, but somewhat incosistent. Thank you JB and others who post their opinions about 3 FW.

Now on my list,
Nickent 4Dx
Nike Dymo
TM R9 or burner (07)
Adams speedline

Hopefully can try most of them.

Most likely a driver as the one I am currently using doesn't fit the right specs for me. I need a driver with a stiff shaft and around 10.5 degrees loft. My current driver is R Flex and 9.5 degrees. My Evolver CYG is the same loft and to compensate for the draw lowers the loft even more so that has never even seen a golf course.

I am getting new irons (r9) that are replacing my irons that I got about 5 years ago. I am also getting a 5 wood. Don't have one and want to try it and if it stays in the bag it will replace my 3 hybrid.

A new bag. I find myself wanting a cart bag, one of the Bag Boy Revolver Pro's.

When I do walk, I almost always take my Clic Gear trolley, and I like the layout of the Revolver for when I do use a cart.

I might also flirt with the idea of testing a new driver, but that's a long shot.

I do want some new clothes, fancy pants and shirts. (thanks a lot, JB :eek:)

I will be replacing my irons as well as my wedges and possibly adding a 2H to the bag. I have had the same irons since I was 14 and I am now 29 so they are a bit out dated but I was never in the position to buy new ones. I am looking into the CG7 BP tours and the Callaway x-forged irons. I will be getting CG15 wedges but am still undecided about the hybrid. I am at a 9 handicap with what I have been playing so Im sure that new equipment will help me lower that by hopefully 2-3 strokes.

I am a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" person. I purchased new irons earlier this year, and my long game clubs still get the job done. I might add 3 more irons to my existing newer iron set (2-4), but I don't really need them. I do like hitting irons over fairway woods, or hybrids. Old school in that dept. I have quite a ways to go before I run out of balls, so I don't see myself making any changes in that part of my game. Not a real "golf shoe" fan. I walk a lot of my rounds, so comfortable walking shoes suffice. I don't need to worry about too much slipping, since drier weather is where I play most of my rounds. I do own a pair of soft spikes shoes just in case, but I rarely use them. At my age I don't care to possibly have to endure any knee issues that spikes might cause due to too much traction. Limited slippage helps with my down swing, body turn. That, and I don't really swing that hard/fast anyway. Clothing wise, every day attire is good enough for me. It is always neat, clean, and follows the attire guide lines set by most courses. If it's good enough for Pebble, or Bandon, it's good enough every where else. Plus $15 wears/plays just as well as $40+. My ClicGear trolley is still in great shape, with just an occasional tire inflation required. My golf bag is relatively new, so no issues there, plus I have 2 more that are almost new that I have won at raffles. My umbrella has not been used in years

That just leaves little odds, and ends left such as tees, and gloves. So most of my high dollar expenses will on green fees, gas, caddies, and beverage carts next year.

Of course I am not immune to the occasional clearance sale, or estate sales that I frequent. I will spend pennies on the dollar even if I don't need the item, which most of the time will be donated to some organization who will pass the item(s) along to those in need. :clapp:

I am looking at replacing my irons next year. I have replaced almost everything else in my bag including my bag this year from the year before. I like my R9 driver, 3w, 5w and 4h so those will be in the bag for awhile, years I would assume as I like them that much. My putter I just got a couple months ago and that will stay probably forever, I would assume. I know there is some tech that goes into putters, but honestly, I think once you find a putter that fits you well, looks good to the eye why change it out? It's not like a driver where you are trying to get extra yardage out of it. My wedges may get switched out for the new CG15s, I am not sure about that yet. I use a combination of Callaway and a Vokey and they work well, but if I can get some extra spin that isn't a bad thing. So in most likelihood I will be getting new irons and new wedges and then I will probably keep that setup for many years to come.

I'm looking at replacing irons. Problem is, I never did like the R7's I got in 2006, and I gradually replaced most of the irons with hybrids, which are ridiculously easy to hit. So, the quandry, how to replace and iron set without getting a bunch of clubs you don't really want? I'd like to reshaft my driver, but that can proably wait.

I'm considering replacing my 3 and 4 irons with a 22* or 23* hybrid, then adding a fourth wedge.

i just replaced my woods so they are in the bag for a while to come.

irons wise, i am thinking i need something with a little more forgiveness so the mx-300 are on the cards.

i also need a gap wedge as i noticed I have a big yardage gap between SW and PW after my recent trackman session.

also going to change my ball to the E7+ at the start of the new season see if it helps my high shots come down a bit.

think thats me..and probably a bit of time until i get the irons.

I'm considering getting a GPS unit...I have used my iPhone on the course a few times but the battery issues as well as the long update times for yardages made it more of a chore than I was hoping for. The uPro unit looks nice so I am leaning that way at the moment.

On my wish list for the upcoming year

Driver
Wedges
GPS device

I'm gonna be building/adding all ALPHA PF2 wedges to my bag next year. 52*bent to 51*, 56* and the 60* I already had. I'm playing DGs300 shafts in the 51*& 56* and leaving the KB Tour in the 60*.

pf2wedge_sole.jpg

I've also picked up a set of ACER XK Pro iron heads that'll I'll be putting Apollo stepless shafts in to kick around a bit.

thumbnail.asp

Other than that, I've got 2 drivers to try out, ALPHA RX460 Carbon 9*/House of Forged Proto and a 300Yds.com ES450/ Accuflex Creation Pro Tour only. I doubt these 2 can take the place of My DEEK DCT, but it's fun trying. Oh and My Tour Burner/ Blueboard's not going anywhere either.

I am looking to replace my putter.

I am also considering replacing my woods, they have been my bag since 1996.

I think ill be getting a new driver this year and a new set of wedges.

No plans to change anything except that I'm going to the TM Penta TP ball. I just replaced my beat up TM Rescue hybrids with shiny new Bridgestone J36's of the same lofts. I should be set unless I do well in some club events and have book money to spend in the pro shop.

I am planning on looking into a GolfTec lesson/fitting package this spring, but not until winter is over so I can play and practice regularly.

I am definitely looking to replace my irons. I currently use the Ping S58s, and honestly, I love them. However, on days when Im not striking the ball better than average for me, the mis-hits cost me 2-4 shots a round. Im looking to get a slightly more forgiving players iron. Ive had my sights on the R9 TPs for a bit now, but someone has convinced me to at least look at the X-22 tours. I guess I will at least hit them and give them a shot. But as of now, I should have the R9s by January.

Back