Walking up to see the pitch/chip

Truth is if we worry about pace and do not take a look and end in with a poor result due to a miss calculated guess this can works against pace also. At times just as much and possibly even more as we may be left with another chip, a much longer putt or whatever further adding more time anyway.

There are times i dont even look at a putt from the other side due to pace. And its really wrong not to do either of these things but the whole pace thing at times unfortunately becomes more important than the golf itself. But we are all so very worried about it that we cheat ourselves just not to be the one who took the extra 24 and 1/2 seconds. Even if pace is good you still dont want to be that guy.

It sometimes can be unfair to many who dont play competative golf. Others who do play competative may feel the round is meaningless and because its just casual golf tend to try to dictate what others should do. But whats not realized is that to the one who doesnt compete, this "casual round" can hold more meaning to him. May be chasing a PB or simply trying very hard to improve the short game or whatever. He is in a way competeing. But unfortunately with pace being the number 1 factor, the casual player is often denied doing these things or he's frowned upon for doing it even if the pace is good.

I've seen people become bothered with one taking a tad extra time while the next tee isnt even empty yet. A guy miss judges and misses his putt or chip costing him a stroke or two only so we can all hurry up and wait at the next tee. The whole pace thing sometimes is just sensless and can wrongfully become more important than the golf itself.

I very rarely do it. Now if they'd let me drive the cart up on the green I'd probaly do it more often.

I don't really walk up, but I read short pitches and chip shots just like a putt and try to hit a spot.

I've tried to get in the habit of doing this on uphill shots, especially those that have to carry a bunker. Seeing how much room is up there and trusting my eyes is something I need to be better at.

I try to read the green as I approach my shot, it really helps your game to hole these chips out occasionally.

If it doesn't affect the members in your group, I see nothing negative in walking up and checking the green. Also on blind shots, it makes sense to look ahead, just to make sure you won't be hitting into anyone.

I think this is a good idea if your playing a competitive game. I do this a lot when I'm wanting to score better. If not, then I try to make a good educated decision as to not hold up my playing partners or groups behind me.

Yeah. .that would be bad. .. very bad :cool:

tappin from my big as note2

When I chip I always look at a area about 2ft in diameter on the green and nothing else. I find that when I try and look at the hole I end up way to short or way too long. So the only time that I will walk up to the green is when I have a blind shot or I can't see the landing area for the chip. Other than that I don't see a reason to walk to the green and try and read the break. I say pick a spot and go for it, your mind and body will take over.

Back