Counting down the holes to Vegas!

bogeybrain

Reaction score
I thought it would be a fun thing to do while we sit and count the days until our departing flights. Being that today makes 18 days until the Bridgestone Championship in ever so awesome Las Vegas lets start with the 18th hole.
"oasis"
_header_LasVegas-hole18.jpg

The 18th hole is a 421 yd par 4 from the blue tees and is rated as the 17th handicapped hole. While researching the hole it seems that a properly placed tee shot could be rewarding depending on pin placement. Off the tee box it seems it is a straightforward shot for a longer hitter going down the right side of the fairway. There are 3 fairway bunkers which look as if they are perfectly placed. two on the right side and one on the left.
the first fairway bunker on the right is a 234 yard carry to the front middle and 257 yard to carry. Should you carry the first trap you're still not out of trouble as there is another trap behind that one as well. That trap which is almost directly in line over the first from the tee is a 261 yard to the front and 270 carry over it. Chances are if you carry both bunkers you are headed for either the cart path that runs down the right side of the hole or into the rough (which I have no idea how hard it plays). The third trap which runs down the left side of the fairway is 270 to the front and 302 to the back.
My thinking on this hole is I would want to start my ball down the right side in line with the left side of the trap on the right. A short tee shot in the 260 yd. range will leave around 185 in and a great tee shot down the middle will leave me with a wedge or a 9 iron in to a green that looks to me like you do not want to mess around with.

The Green :
From what I see on my golf app (sbs) , the course flyover and Google images it looks like everything on the hole runs right to left including the green which has water running down the left side from about 100 yards in. the green itself is 41 yards long so I would imagine that pin placement will surely define whether or not this will be a decent birdie opportunity.
It looks to me like there is somewhat of a ridge in the middle of the green that could direct an approach shot either back left or middle right.
I think if the pins are either middle right or back left it should be pretty attainable to hit a decent shot in and have the ball feed towards the hole.

Trouble around the green:

Should you be fortunate enough to catch the bunker on the right front side the pin placement looks like it will be the deciding factor if you get up and down and play it for a 2 putt bogey. If the pin is cut on the front left it is a difficult flop out with not a lot of green to work with and if you go over you will need some scuba gear to get your ball back. There are two more bunkers on the back right which again you are faced with a bunker shot towards the water and another bunker back left that if you hit it into you are probably going to be grateful it was there and not in the lake. Both middle right and back left look like the ball will feed towards the cup and it looks to me like the if it is back left you can take the safe middle of the green shot and take a mild two putt for a par and possibly birdie if the ball releases to the hole . It looks like a front pin will most likely be the hardest to make a score. even though it looks relatively flat there isn't a lot of room for error. I think a red pin would definitely be a sucker pin.

So with all that being said my personal thought on this hole are to pull driver and try to tank it down center and give myself some approach shot options. A 3 wood or an iron really brings trouble into play if I miss right and I really don't see this hole being one that I want to have to hit a mid iron into.

Lets hear your thoughts on this and how you would play this hole. Does it intimidate you? Do you think its a good birdie hole?

And best yet....... 18 days to vegas babaaay!!!

For Hole 17 go to page 3

Last edited:
I am with you pull the driver start it at the left edge of the bunker and pray lol. From the looks of the hole pin placement could really determine if this is a birdie hole. Front right pin looks good. Back left looks scary

Easy Peasy.

Pipe my driver 220 down the middle, then snap hook a 5I into the water...drop...thin wedge over green, chutt and 2 putt

That gives me an 8 and hopefully a coin of sorts

Great thread idea by the way!

I think you are onto something, I think I may make a couple snowmen in vegas :D

Easy Peasy.

Pipe my driver 220 down the middle, then snap hook a 5I into the water...drop...thin wedge over green, chutt and 2 putt

That gives me an 8 and hopefully a coin of sorts

Great thread idea by the way!

I would go 3W about 260, hopefully on the right hand side...this should leave me 6-8iron depending on pin location.probably screw that up chip on, 2 putt for bogey.

4431238315_fe2134f6fe.jpg

Above photo from rbglasson at flickr.com

This view doesn't look quite as intimidating as the one posted by Bogeybrain from the TPC website.

Let's assume my lefty swing is still working by hole #18, so I take Driver and aim at the left bunker and allow my draw to put the ball in center fairway. Then the decision is just a matter of distance to the green. I'm most likely using my Ping g10 hybrid, and daring to aim at the water's edge, again allowing the draw to take me to center of the green. If I'm at around 185 then I'm using 5 iron and aiming center of the green. In all truthfulness, I'm probably chipping on my third shot and hopefully getting it close enough for a realistic chance at a 1-putt par.

Cool thread idea gents! So jealous about the great time you guys are going to have.

4431238315_fe2134f6fe.jpg

Above photo from rbglasson at flickr.com

This view doesn't look quite as intimidating as the one posted by Bogeybrain from the TPC website.

Let's assume my lefty swing is still working by hole #18, so I take Driver and aim at the left bunker and allow my draw to put the ball in center fairway. Then the decision is just a matter of distance to the green. I'm most likely using my Ping g10 hybrid, and daring to aim at the water's edge, again allowing the draw to take me to center of the green. If I'm at around 185 then I'm using 5 iron and aiming center of the green. In all truthfulness, I'm probably chipping on my third shot and hopefully getting it close enough for a realistic chance at a 1-putt par.

Hmmm nice find ! Now that I'm comparing both pics with no doubt I'm pulling driver. I want to carry the middle to the ridge and get another 30 yards of roll and throw a dart at the flag ! Lol sounds good on paper!

3w and draw it off the bunkers. Should leave about a 9 iron. Get it on the green and do no worse then a 2 putt. Easy!

Can't wait fellas! Only 18 days left!

Anyone know how yardages are affected there?

Driver, line up left at the water and let my push slice keep me dry but probably in or near trouble on the right hand side. Recover with a fat iron shot to somewhere in the vicinity of the 150 marker. Laugh with Dan for a while while everybody else hits their second shots into the green, then get on in 4 and two putt for a 6.

I mean like elevation...How does playing there compare to at sea level.

oh! that's a good question..im trying to find out what I can using google but maybe locals could chime in with more accurate info.vegas is something like 2k feet above sea level so its probably noticeable for me being used to florida and constant sea level conditions. for people up northeast probably wont notice too much difference with all the barometric pressure changes. I know in ny /nj area you might be at sea level at 9am and 1500 feet above by lunch

im so used to florida right now where its hot and humid and wet and very little roll. between the dry air and the fact the ground is hard and will get some roll im going to feel like im 20 years old again! im ready to crank out some 340 yard drives hahah!

well, thus far Im winning the high score coin!

Not much elevation difference for most of us as its 2181' but the 100* heat will help as the ball flies farther in hot dry weather.

I will set up left center and let my driver fade towards the right bunker. 185yds in would be my 588 Altitude 5-hyron to the right half of green. My birdie putt will lip out and I'll settle for a tap in par. This is the dream scenario, reality might be much worse.

We are tied. I hit my tee ball in the bunker. took 2 to get out. hit a fat iron. chipped on then 3 putted for an 8

I wonder if JB will invoke the "pick up at +3" stroke limit for Vegas. It was my friend in Branson. :(

Driver, aimed right down the middle, probably end up safe - no worse than first cut of the rough.
Middle iron, probably ugly (please no pull/hook into the drink).
Pitch/chip up onto the green.
The flat stick to save par or give me a double.

Not sure that is out goal teammate.

Spoiler
Oh..we are trying to give the other teams hope. Got it.

Not sure that is out goal teammate.

Spoiler
Oh..we are trying to give the other teams hope. Got it.

nah we are ok, thats just to make things "closer"

^^^^^^^^
Kind of a Charlie Sheen feel to this post, MD. :bulgy-eyes:

Ok, short hitter method of playing this hole:
Driver off the tee since I can't drive 250 w/o a cart path. Followed by hybrid which should make it as far as the downslope in front of the hole, leaving me a short pitch/chip onto the green. One putt for par. Though if I top my hybrid it looks like a 9i third shot which I still leaves me carding a bogey.

Back