Cleveland Launcher 460ti vs. Classic 209 and XL Custom 285

G Rat

Big in Japan
Reaction score
Handicap
Parking
Hello all. I'm new to the boards and was hoping I could get some info. I currently swing the Cleveland Launcher 460ti which I feel is a nice club. However, after reading some reviews about the Classic 290 as well as the XL custom 285, I have been getting an itch to update my bag. Is there anyone on here who has compared these drivers side by side that could provide me some insight? I'm hoping to get some time this week to go swing these at a local pro shop but any opinions are welcome. Thanks again.

First off, welcome to THP.
Very different drivers. You are going to find the Classic and Classic XL much lower spinning than your Launcher. The two newer drivers are going to be deeper faced and allow for much more forgiveness top to bottom. If your miss is high on the club face, these will be some of the best you try. The downfall with the lower spin is that you will probably want to move up in loft from what you are used to playing or make sure you are using a higher launching shaft.

Hope this helps.

:welcome: listen to JB on this one, he certainly knows what he is speaking of. I know that when he was gaming the Classic he was using the 12* model.

I have the original Launcher 460 and I have also been pondering whether it is worth changing. I don't hit my driver badly, so on the one hand I'm thinking that if it isn't broken, don't fix it and on the other I'm thinking that technology must have moved along somewhat in the last decade and that if I get fit properly to one of the new drivers, surely I'll pick up some extra meters off the tee...

Thanks for the info JB. These days I've been hitting the ball pretty square with the Launcher. To know that the Classic and XL Custom can be more forgiving puts an even bigger smile on my face.

I miss my old Launcher! I have days that I wish I would have never parted ways with it.

Back