Gonna Take the Plunge

Congrats...might I suggest you get as much golf in now as possible

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Congrats! I have a family member who was in the jewelry business for years who thankfully gave me an incredible deal on a rock. They always told us how ridiculous he mark up is, so lie others suggest, always low ball them. Their store also had monthly goals so the end of the month was a old time to bargain.
As far as the proposal goes, mine involved a mountain, a bunch of rappelling gear, and a ton of prep time dangling from a rope so I doubt it will be a big help to you.

Congratulations !

The story of how I proposed to my wife? My brother's wedding was in the middle of December, and for months before I had wanted to propose. Out of respect for my brother and his wife, I wanted to wait until after their wedding.

A combination of things ended up with me not proposing the way I wanted to. We would be travelling for Christmas to both of our parent's houses, so I wanted to have it done before that.... Finally got a hold of her father who was MIA for days. With his blessing I proposed. Sitting on the couch, during a commercial break, days before Christmas.

Not a glamorous proposal, a pretty lame story, but she said yes. Thats what really mattered.

My Deepest Condolences.... I mean congrats! :)

I agree shop around look at your local jewelers as they are willing to deal more so than any big store and usually have better pricing as they have less over head. Another thing to consider besides the engagement ring is look at the matching wedding band/bands that go with it if their designed as a set. If you know she is into a certain style look at all the options in that style she'll appreciate it later.

When I got engaged I had my wife's ring custom made and hand engraved by a local jeweler. My wife liked the antique style rings and that's the way I had it done and she loves it.

I proposed on an old train bridge after taking a ride on an old steam engine. We had discussed doing this trip many times just couldn't ever do it for whatever reason.

So make sure it's something special that she'll remember.

My Deepest Condolences.... I mean congrats! :)

I agree shop around look at your local jewelers as they are willing to deal more so than any big store and usually have better pricing as they have less over head. Another thing to consider besides the engagement ring is look at the matching wedding band/bands that go with it if their designed as a set. If you know she is into a certain style look at all the options in that style she'll appreciate it later.

When I got engaged I had my wife's ring custom made and hand engraved by a local jeweler. My wife liked the antique style rings and that's the way I had it done and she loves it.

I proposed on an old train bridge after taking a ride on an old steam engine. We had discussed doing this trip many times just couldn't ever do it for whatever reason.

So make sure it's something special that she'll remember.

Dude you guys are all going to scare him haha. My proposal wasn't heart felt but it wasn't super creative or anything. Certainly no rock climbing involved.

Dude you guys are all going to scare him haha. My proposal wasn't heart felt but it wasn't super creative or anything. Certainly no rock climbing involved.

Who said we weren't trying? :)

Congrats and good luck! I am a little older than you and I don't think I am ever taking the plunge. :act-up:

Marriage is a wonderful institution, but then who wants to be institutionalized j/k

As for the proposal, as long as its sincere and thoughtful she will appreciate that more than some over the top elaborate stunt.

Tying it into your first date is a great idea and will show her you remembered it. You are sure it was your guys first date right and not someone else?? Just making sure :)

Congrats and best of luck to you both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats and good luck!

I just got married a few months ago. For the ring I would suggest going to a local shop as they might be willing to deal a little more.

For the proposal, I went to her apartment one day since I took a vacation day from work and waited for her to surprise her. I would say surprising her is the way to go. I am not too romantic just had roses and when she walked in to her apartment I was waiting for her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Good luck! Do something that she'll never forget....but something simple. Don't let the activity or place overshadow the real event. Friend of mine did a day up in the north woods on the lake. Another did it while watching fireworks for the 4th of July. Just don't put the ring in food or do anything at a sporting event.

Congrats and good luck man! Don't break the bank on the ring, honestly. Unless she loves that type of stuff and you really think it's worth it. But if she loves you, she'll say yes no matter what the ring. I spent $1k on mine, wife thinks it's perfect.

For the proposal, try to think of something she loves. My wife loved lite brites when she was little. So I bought 15 lite brites, and made one letter on each to spell out "will you marry me?". She loved it.

I'd definitely check around for diamonds. Unless the ring is an estate ring, a different company likely has the same setting and a similar diamond. I went to Jared and got a diamond that was certified and graded for thousands less than other chain stores. I have also heard good things about Diamonds Direct and Blue Nile that was mentioned above.

As for the proposal, just do it in a way that means something to both of you. The night you met is a good start, but you could do it at the place you met or something similar. Also do it in a way that she can tell her friends and family exactly what happened. Once the ring is on their finger, they really like to talk about it....a lot. So don't propose just before you are going to get it on, because she won't be able to tell her family about it.

Good advice!! haha

Congrats...might I suggest you get as much golf in now as possible

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

I have been thinking that myself!

Marriage is a wonderful institution, but then who wants to be institutionalized j/k

As for the proposal, as long as its sincere and thoughtful she will appreciate that more than some over the top elaborate stunt.

Tying it into your first date is a great idea and will show her you remembered it. You are sure it was your guys first date right and not someone else?? Just making sure :)

Congrats and best of luck to you both.

Yea, i'm pretty sure. We kinda broke up for a few months so we decided that the anniversary of us going steady (irish term, not sure if it is in the states) was kinda meaningless now, so we celebrate the night we met as our anniversary.

So i have the ring chosen. Gona pick it up this week and i can share a photo with you.

I was talking with friends over the proposal and came up with an over the top one. It's kind of a long story but one that needs to be told.

In belfast there is a botanic gardens, the significance of which is that we went on one of our first day trips there (we don't live near there, and we were young).

I am going to get one of her friends (who is visiting from england) to suggest going there on that day. I will be waiting there at a gazebo in the gardens decorated with flowers, with friends and family wearing t-shirts with letters on them spelling 'will you marry' and me wearing one with me and a question mark.

Its a bit cheesy and a lot of work. but i like the idea of it.

That's a great setup. I did it as a surprise with friends involved too. Just make sure (and it looks like you did) that you notify the parents on both sides first.

So i have the ring chosen. Gona pick it up this week and i can share a photo with you.

I was talking with friends over the proposal and came up with an over the top one. It's kind of a long story but one that needs to be told.

In belfast there is a botanic gardens, the significance of which is that we went on one of our first day trips there (we don't live near there, and we were young).

I am going to get one of her friends (who is visiting from england) to suggest going there on that day. I will be waiting there at a gazebo in the gardens decorated with flowers, with friends and family wearing t-shirts with letters on them spelling 'will you marry' and me wearing one with me and a question mark.

Dara,

I was going to suggest that since you're in N. Ireland there are some beautiful places in the countryside to propose, but the Botanic Gardens are superb as well and the main gazebo is amazing. I grew up near Belfast and always fancied proposing to someone at the top of Cavehill, looking out over the city of Belfast and Belfast Lough.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't just get a little teary eyed reading this, what an awesome way to propose. Good luck and congratulations!!

Sounds like you have a great plan laid out!

Dara,

I was going to suggest that since you're in N. Ireland there are some beautiful places in the countryside to propose, but the Botanic Gardens are superb as well and the main gazebo is amazing. I grew up near Belfast and always fancied proposing to someone at the top of Cavehill, looking out over the city of Belfast and Belfast Lough.

We live in the country so are pretty sick of all that scenery! haha

I was clearing out some of my old subscribed threads and happened upon this one. We never got an update. Hopefully everything went as planned for you!

Back