WWDC - What's Next for Apple?

Just installed iOS 7 GM on my iPhone. Figure I should make my developer subscription worth it on my main phone now that it's at final status.

I'm just sort of meh on it right now. The thing that has always made the iPhone so great is the cohesiveness between apple and non-apple apps. Everything looks wrong. I know that time will test how this changes. Control center is pretty nice, but it's more of "it's about time" vs "this is really amazing".

Multitasking is the best improvement. I'm writing this on my iPhone now and thought "actually I haven't checked the mail app much". Scrolling through and getting a secondary visualization is great.

Still overall, it's not blowing my mind.

I will be upgrading to the 5s, assuming my upgrade price isn't too absurd.

I've called Apple and AT&T CS and nobody really knows what is happening with the existing 5s.
Found the iPhone 5 at an electronics store for $97...not sure that will carry through to carriers, though it seems like it should.

Vastly "underwhelmed" by the 5s so far... my contract is up on my 4 and I'm seriously thinking of going to a Galaxy s4

edit: OOH and a fingerprint scanner which will be awesome when I'm wearing gloves in the winter and can't answer my phone bc of it!

I think the fingerprint scanner is meant for unlocking the phone, not answering calls. It's meant to be more secure than a pass code, and I can only assume to try to attract more military/federal government use because of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I think the fingerprint scanner is meant for unlocking the phone, not answering calls. It's meant to be more secure than a pass code, and I can only assume to try to attract more military/federal government use because of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I am guessing a screen cover or higher end case cover will not allow the finger print to work?

I am guessing a screen cover or higher end case cover will not allow the finger print to work?

Screen covers don't typically cover the home button do they?

The one I have on mine has a notch so that it doesn't cover the home button.

Some do, some don't. Some have a little cutout you can put on it if you'd like.

I have been eligible for an upgrade since February but still love the 4S. Is it worth upgrading to the 5S? I have no clue what the new features are and my biggest concern is losing unlimited data as I am grandfathered in.

If you are extending your current contract you will keep your grandfathered unlimited data - at least that's always how they've done it in the past. I've been unlimited for years, which is very handy now that my WiFi is dead on my 4s. Come on, cheap refurb replacement next week!

If you are extending your current contract you will keep your grandfathered unlimited data - at least that's always how they've done it in the past. I've been unlimited for years, which is very handy now that my WiFi is dead on my 4s. Come on, cheap refurb replacement next week!

It's no longer that way with Verizon

It's no longer that way with Verizon

You can grandfather on AT&T, at least you could as recently as the day of the iPhone 5 release. I have grandfathered my unlimited plan since the original iPhone up through my current iPhone 5. I plan to do the same with the 5S.

In case anyone else is contemplating 5c vs. 5...

The 5c handles additional 4G bandwidths (?), though it appears that is mostly included to enable Asian release. 5c has slow-mo video, a better flash, reportedly 2 extra hours of talk time on the battery, and a frame underneath the plastic which is supposed to protect the phone from drops and act as an antannae to improve reception. Otherwise, they are the same phone. Pricing appears to be the same at $99 for 16GB. AT&T doesn't honor the 15 day return policy with the 5 any longer; all sales are final.

WWDC - What's Next for Apple?

In case anyone else is contemplating 5c vs. 5...

The 5c handles additional 4G bandwidths (?), though it appears that is mostly included to enable Asian release. 5c has slow-mo video, a better flash, reportedly 2 extra hours of talk time on the battery, and a frame underneath the plastic which is supposed to protect the phone from drops and act as an antannae to improve reception. Otherwise, they are the same phone. Pricing appears to be the same at $99 for 16GB. AT&T doesn't honor the 15 day return policy with the 5 any longer; all sales are final.

Never mind, just saw you were comparing 5 to 5c, not 5c to 5s

My bad

Thanks for the help. I got the 5. After some initial setup/configuration challenges I have been really enjoying the phone.

I gotta say, as the least Apple-purchasing, Apple-Fanboy, I'm fairly disappointed. Outside of a few things here and there (large screens, better cameras, etc.) the cell phone market has been pretty stagnant. I was hoping Apple will pull something that will change up the market again - more competition is better for all of us.

Wishing they had done pre-orders on the 5s, now I have to wait til the week of the 23rd for it to arrive.

#firstworldproblems

I'm really ready for the new update

I have the GM on my iPad. It's pretty neat but it didn't blow me away. It's not my everyday device so it's kinda unfair for me to judge it yet but I just didn't want the hassle of installing a dev version on my phone.

I do like the multitasking and the way you can swipe to close background apps. Just another feature stolen from the jailbreak community. I just wish they would incorporate a quick reply system. That's what I will miss most about my jailbreak.

I have GM on my iPhone 5. When I first downloaded it, as you might have read from my previous comments, I was pretty underwhelmed. I now have almost a week under my belt with the OS. Every day I use the phone, I get more joy out of the incremental seamless features in iOS 7. I like to do a bunch of things when I use my phone and the multitasking really works well. Seeing a preview of your open apps, while seemingly simple, is incredibly powerful. I find myself enjoying the browsing experience more on my iPhone compared to my computer. I expect it will make the iPad experience much better as well.

I've also come to like the new iOS design. At first I thought it looked childish, but I think it will have a really great impact on the quality of apps that follow. Already, I've found myself looking for iOS 7 style apps because the design makes the mobile experience better. With Apple removing a lot of the textures and etc, it simplifies the app experience. It really just gets back to the iPhone foundation.

I'm really looking forward to Wednesday as a lot of 3rd party apps should have their updates pushed by then.

I have GM on my iPhone 5. When I first downloaded it, as you might have read from my previous comments, I was pretty underwhelmed. I now have almost a week under my belt with the OS. Every day I use the phone, I get more joy out of the incremental seamless features in iOS 7. I like to do a bunch of things when I use my phone and the multitasking really works well. Seeing a preview of your open apps, while seemingly simple, is incredibly powerful. I find myself enjoying the browsing experience more on my iPhone compared to my computer. I expect it will make the iPad experience much better as well.

I've also come to like the new iOS design. At first I thought it looked childish, but I think it will have a really great impact on the quality of apps that follow. Already, I've found myself looking for iOS 7 style apps because the design makes the mobile experience better. With Apple removing a lot of the textures and etc, it simplifies the app experience. It really just gets back to the iPhone foundation.

I'm really looking forward to Wednesday as a lot of 3rd party apps should have their updates pushed by then.
I have enjoyed the preview features of open apps for some time now on Android, makes multitasking much easier for sure. Glad iOS could bring this feature, as I think it will be excellent on the iPad.

I have enjoyed the preview features of open apps for some time now on Android, makes multitasking much easier for sure. Glad iOS could bring this feature, as I think it will be excellent on the iPad.

Somewhere between unloading putters on eBay and watching the Steeler game tonight, I plan to throw the GM on my iPad. I've become more accustom to web browsing on my computer recently basically because the shortcomings of iOS multitasking, but I think that will change tonight.

Has anybody on here tried the iPhone 5s? What are your thoughts? I'm upgrading from the iPhone 4 that I have now. In trying to decide if it would be worth the $100 difference to get a 5s over a 5.

Has anybody on here tried the iPhone 5s? What are your thoughts? I'm upgrading from the iPhone 4 that I have now. In trying to decide if it would be worth the $100 difference to get a 5s over a 5.
I'm in the same boat, but what I've been told is that you have time to figure it out. We're being told its 3 weeks till the next wave of 5s are available....don't know of that's just here or what.

Back