Oakley prescription sunglasses ?

SaffaClint

Reaction score
Handicap
+2.3
Anyone on here have any? I play with glasses on and my specs have transistions lenses but I really want a pair of prescription Oakley sunglasses. The problem though is here in NZ I was quoted over us$650 for the eyepatch2 with polarized prescription lenses. I want to use these for golf as well as fishing. If anyone uses prescription Oakleys what did you pay, and is there a way I can order some? I called Oakley and they tell me I can't order them online for myself and the only option I can see is if I can find somewhere or someone in the US that will sell me some if I can provide my prescription.
Any help, advice or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated.

I do not use prescription Oakleys, but I looked into them about 3 years back. It would have ended up costing me around $500 for Half Jackets with prescription polarized lenses - I ended up going with Ray Ban which cost around $300. Still a lot but much more manageable. I just can't see spending the kind of money that Oakleys command when there are other quality options out there, even though I LOVE Oakley sunglasses. Look into Ray Ban, Bolle, etc. - they are a little cheaper, plus you can generally get a decent discount. Finding discounts on Oakleys is pretty well impossible.

Regarding ordering them in NZ, I can't really help you there other than to recommend checking out online eyewear dealers - I have seen a few where you can specify your prescription and have glasses built to your specs.

My dad has a pair, and he loves them. I think insurance helped out with them.

I use them, have a pair of Flak Jackets with emerald iridium lenses, which work really well for golf. Haven't tried them for fishing.

Unfortunately, I can't really help price-wise. I paid about $175 US for mine, but they were through an Oakley military/LEO promotional site, so mine are at a steep discount.

I splurged on a pair last year under my vision insurance allocation. I went with all the extra coatings and really loved how they looked. However, I could not see any better. After I took them back to my optometrist to confirm they had the right prescription, I was advised that the curved lenses sometimes do not produce good results. They tried to bend them out a little, but they still were no better than non-prescription sunglasses. Ultimately, I purchased non-curved prescription sunglasses from Costco. Not as cool looking as the Oakley's, but less money and now I can see those 300 yard drives roll to a stop..... Just be aware when you select a frame style.

I have prescription Flak Jackets and love them. Expensive, yes. Even with my vision plan. Totally worth it.

I just looked on www.oakleysi.com and I can't get the eyepatch 2 in prescription but I can get the Crankcase which is a similar design for $220 US. I don't know if they offer it over in NZ but they give a good discount to military,fire,police etc...... If you need or want some assistance just PM me and I will see what I can do.

Oakley has many parameters that they have to follow with their RX stuff. Depending on the curvature of the lens they only go to a certain strength. Most places in the US will only accept an RX that is less than two years old as well. Oakley markets their lenses very well but in the end they do not provide more clarity or better protection for your eyes. If you want different coatings such as anti glare or mirror coatings I would suggest trying to find a way for Oakley to do the work. If your main concern is polarization (which I would highly recommend in your case) than try and see if you can have somebody cut RX lenses that aren't Oakley lenses if that makes sense. In other words, buy an Oakley frame and have different lenses put it them. It should be much cheaper that way.

Also, I just took a look at that Oakley frame you like. I could give you better advice if you knew the numbers in your RX but those lenses have a base curve of 8.75 which is high. Typically the higher the base curve the more distortion you will get in your peripheral vision. Unless you have a very weak RX I would recommend finding a different frame. Lenses with less of a base curve can be cut for those frames but it will flatten out the frame and likely cause issues with fit because most of the frames Oakley manufactures are cheap injection molded plastic frames. Hope this makes some sense. I can clarify anything if you'd like.

I splurged on a pair last year under my vision insurance allocation. I went with all the extra coatings and really loved how they looked. However, I could not see any better. After I took them back to my optometrist to confirm they had the right prescription, I was advised that the curved lenses sometimes do not produce good results. They tried to bend them out a little, but they still were no better than non-prescription sunglasses. Ultimately, I purchased non-curved prescription sunglasses from Costco. Not as cool looking as the Oakley's, but less money and now I can see those 300 yard drives roll to a stop..... Just be aware when you select a frame style.

I have a similar experience. I recently purchased Oakley prescription sunglasses, with bifocal lenses. Not sure the model, but it has a thin earpiece and a very curved lens. I enjoy them for driving and generally out in the sun, but I found that the curved lenses (probably combined with the bifocal) are pretty horrendous for reading greens accurately. I see breaks with the glasses on that that are absolutely not there. Not so bad when looking straight at the putt from behind the ball, but when addressing the ball, the peripheral vision is truly wacky. My brain may be able to compensate, but for now, I've gone back to my older bifocal sunglasses for golf that have a much less curved lens.

Anyone on here have any? I play with glasses on and my specs have transistions lenses but I really want a pair of prescription Oakley sunglasses. The problem though is here in NZ I was quoted over us$650 for the eyepatch2 with polarized prescription lenses. I want to use these for golf as well as fishing. If anyone uses prescription Oakleys what did you pay, and is there a way I can order some? I called Oakley and they tell me I can't order them online for myself and the only option I can see is if I can find somewhere or someone in the US that will sell me some if I can provide my prescription.
Any help, advice or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated.

i have two pairs, both were a little over 400 a pair.

I ordered a pair (Flak Jacket, I think) about a week and a half ago and I'm waiting for them to come back. If you have a prescription you can bring in, I'm sure that any eye store that sells them will be happy to talk to you. I got mine from LensCrafters.

They felt and looked good in the store. I'm really looking forward to having a good pair of prescription sunglasses again so I can wear them to play.

I know the strength of my RX, left eye is -1.75 and right eye is -1.5
Base curvature and what not are way too technical for me, lol. I might end up going into town and looking for so.e other brands. I know this may sound random but I have very light blue eyes, as does everyone in my family and all of us have trouble in sunlight. Inbreeding, overrated IMO :laughing:

I might actually just have a look ay getting some contact lenses and save some money. I haven't worn them in god knows how long, last time I did my eyes were constantly dry.

Your RX isn't very strong so you should have a lot of options.

I have a similar experience. I recently purchased Oakley prescription sunglasses, with bifocal lenses. Not sure the model, but it has a thin earpiece and a very curved lens. I enjoy them for driving and generally out in the sun, but I found that the curved lenses (probably combined with the bifocal) are pretty horrendous for reading greens accurately. I see breaks with the glasses on that that are absolutely not there. Not so bad when looking straight at the putt from behind the ball, but when addressing the ball, the peripheral vision is truly wacky. My brain may be able to compensate, but for now, I've gone back to my older bifocal sunglasses for golf that have a much less curved lens.

I bought a pair of M-Frame/heater lens with prescription inserts back in the late 90's. The cost me over $350.00 however, I had a similar experience as "tucsondivots". I could not use them. My depth perception was wacked with them and they said it could be because of the curvature of the lens. Oakley said I could return them and they would remake them in case the script was off, but if I did there would be no return possible for the remake. I wasn't going to roll dice for $350 so I told them to keep them.

Had Lasik in 2006. Wish I would have done it many years before.

Going for an eye test this afternoon and will see what's what after that. The place I'm going doesn't sell Oakley but I'm gonna see what they do have. Really thinking contacts might be the best option though as the last thing I want to do is drive somewhere with my sunglasses on and then have the weather turn to **** or for it to get dark, only to realise I forgot my glasses at home. At least with contacts I can just take the sunglasses off, as well as that I know there will be zero distortion with contact lenses.

I have a few pairs of oakley prescription sunglasses... and regular glasses for that matter. Their lenses are top notch all the way. As for cost, they are quite pricy... like others mentioned I got mine through the military site, so if you can find someone that can hook you up there... it's one heck of a deal. I have pairs that are over 10 years old and still going strong. If you can get past the cost, you'd be hard pressed to find a higher quality prescription set of glasses out there.

I have a set of Oakleys that I have had for years and love the lenses , I considered going for presecription lenses but they couldnt be done for me due to myastigmatism , I settled for contact lenses combined with the awesome lenses that help show the green contours. Saving for lasik as it would just make life so much simpler at work. Good luck with your quest , they are to this day still the best sunglasses I have ever owned.

I have a pair of Rudy Projects that I have had for 8 years or so (I actually replaced the frames 2 years ago), and a pair of Oakleys which I bought last year. I mostly wear the Rudy Projects on the golf course as the lenses were golf specific (they allow more light), and the Oakleys I wear ever where else and on real bright sunny days. I paid around $450 for each pair, but most of the cost was lens related (my replacement frames for the Rudy Project cost less than $100). I bought the Oakleys as I had FSA money I had to spend or would lose (I also bought a regular pair of prescription Oakleys which I love).

I have a set of Oakleys that I have had for years and love the lenses , I considered going for presecription lenses but they couldnt be done for me due to myastigmatism , I settled for contact lenses combined with the awesome lenses that help show the green contours. Saving for lasik as it would just make life so much simpler at work. Good luck with your quest , they are to this day still the best sunglasses I have ever owned.

I used to be nearsighted but over the years my prescription has shifted so now it's mostly for astigmatism. I'm about to go pick up my pair of prescription Oakleys. Perhaps you should look into them again?

Update - Holy carp, these are the most amazing sunglasses I've ever owned. Noticeably crisper than previous pairs. It's like the world is now in hi-def. They really help even on the driving range in full sun.

I ended up getting contact lenses and I'm loving them. I haven't worn them for at least 10 years and they're so much better than they used to be. As a result I bought a pair of Oakley Offshoot with polarized lenses and holy hell they're awesome. Everything is so crisp and clear now, I can't wait to get out on the course with them.

Back