FAO Mav 281 - 2nd November

TheDoctor

One of the UK Hackers
Reaction score
Handicap
5.3 (WHS)
Ok, this was mentioned to a couple of people while we were at Belton Woods so here is the thread to see if it can be arranged

I mentioned to Mav that I would be down in Colchester for the first weekend in November and would have the Saturday free while the rest of the family were out for the day so wondered if it would be possible to sample the hospitality of his course.

So, if it is possible with you Mav, I will be bringing my clubs with us and if you are free, what are the chances of organising a round on Saturday 2nd November? We will be travelling down on the Friday evening, so something not too early would be preferable as it will have been a long day on Friday but if there are only early times available then so be it

It also came up in conversation with Geo, so he may well be interested assuming he is free?

Hay Doc,

Yep sounds like a winner to me.

Couple of ways we can do this depending on who wants to come along and in what capacity.

We play (my school) as normal on a Saturday morning between 8.45 and 9am. If there are only a select 1 or 2 additional people coming along then we can simply tag on to the Saturday morning school and go out along with those guys. I believe the cost is either £20 or £25 if you are playing with a full member plus a few quid for 9's and overall :wink:

Second option if we have 5 or 6 people who are interested is I can book some tee times later in the day and we can "do our own thing". I am more than happy to make this a small local meet or we can open this up and try and organise an overnight stay and a few curry/beers in Chelmsford after the golf or indeed something in between.

Aside from myself and The Doc is anyone else interested in a trip to Essex to play Three Rivers and/or Stock Brook Manor?

Would love to, but sadly I am in Crete at that time and as much as I love you THPers, I am not flying home from the warm for a game in the cold and wet.

Have a great time though guys.

According to sat nav, it would be between 45-60mins to get from the kids to Three Rivers, so 8.45am would be okay with me, just means my head will be hitting the pillow as soon as we arrive on the Friday night as it will take best part of 5 hours to drive down due to the time we would be leaving and hitting traffic

I am up for either the morning start with your usual group if nobody else is interested or later in the day if we get a few

According to sat nav, it would be between 45-60mins to get from the kids to Three Rivers, so 8.45am would be okay with me, just means my head will be hitting the pillow as soon as we arrive on the Friday night as it will take best part of 5 hours to drive down due to the time we would be leaving and hitting traffic

I am up for either the morning start with your usual group if nobody else is interested or later in the day if we get a few

Any chance of stretching it out to a few beers/curry in the evening before returning?

Any chance of stretching it out to a few beers/curry in the evening before returning?

Round of golf followed by a bite to eat sounds good to me, it doesn't really matter what time I get back as I will just let Jen know I will be out all day

Plan for the weekend is to finish work on Friday about 4pm, then throw things in the car to drive down (no doubt stopping somewhere en-route for a bite to eat) so probably won't be down that way until sometime between 10-11pm
Saturday is a free day for me as originally the girls were planning to go to the Harrods christmas parade although I think that has now changed, but whatever they decide to do will leave me to do what I want
Sunday will be a day spent with family as we don't get a chance to see them too often due to the distance and work, and then we are heading back up north on Monday

Well Girls - as I explained - my house is being remodelled at the moment..so things are tough in terms of WO management:alien:

But.....

the WO is Sicilian. So what we call Halloween - she calls the Day of the Dead - and she spends the day honouring her Mother and Father at their graveside in Sicily. I take the mick - but it is a wonderful gesture of dedication, love and respect (and that is a VERY important word in that part of the world).

It also means - that El Bandito is home-alone that weekend:

Therefore - I will definitely be up for a round on Saturday. In terms of adding in a curry/beer/overnight/extra round - that will depend on whether I can engage a dog sitter for the hound...so count me in for a round and a bite - and if there is more, I'll see what I can pull off!

Well I am game for a round! Not sure how we could do it but Boyce hill would be my shout, used to be a member there and I still can't find a course as good really! Playing a lot at the bursted as well at the moment

Well there is a potential four ball there already, and we still have people to check in who I suspect will be interested.

It would be great if we could get a round of golf in and then follow it up with maybe a few cheeky beers and a curry? Not suggesting we have to go far as people are obviously keen to get away at a reasonable time, but there is a decent pub and two good curry houses in South Woodham Ferrers alone which is less than a 5 minute drive from Three Rivers golf club.

Stu - you are welcome to crash at my place mate if getting a dog sitter becomes a reality. We (and indeed anyone else who is available and game) can then follow Saturday up with a round on Sunday at Stock Brook or similar before you scoot off home.

All sounding good to me!

Yup, it all sounds good

Jen spoke to the kids last night and they are sorting out what they will be doing on the Saturday so we are all go here

Looks like we have a decent four ball at this stage. Still room for others if anyone else is game?

Stu - if you can let me know (as and when you are able to) what the situation is with the hound we can look to make a decision on whether we golf earlier or later and if we are heading out into town or not.

As noted an early tee time around 9am is not an issue because we potentially already have tee times as part of the Saturday school anyway and I can just get an extra one bolted on for us. Once the golf is done we can have something to eat at the golf club and chill out for a couple of hours before people depart.

If we opt for a bit later - I'll need to book separate tee times, which is not an issue, I'll just need to remember to do it. If we do this I would suggest we aim for around 1pm ish, we can then meet an hour or so before hand for a bite to eat before we head out for some golf. Once the golf is done, we can get showered and changed at the golf club and then either head into my local town for a few pints in the local pub and a curry or head out in Chelmsford for a few lively bars and a curry/Chinese/kebab.

Either time is fine with me

I sent GEO a PM but as yet I haven't had a response from him either via PM or seeing him post in here

If we need more numbers I probably have two others who have been on here but never really use it, but lets see who else jumps on board. Either time is fine with me!

Hi guys, sorry for the late response, been a crazy week working over in Amsterdam!

Unfortunately I can't make that weekend as it's Toby's 1st birthday party on the Sat and family action all weekend.

Have an awesome time chaps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No probs Geo - thanks for letting us know mate.

Four ball is fine - make things a little easier in general as well. Means we can go for an earlier tee time (join my Sat school), or hold back and do something a bit later.

Stu - Any update on the dog sitter situation. There's a couple of wee bars I Chelmsford that I think you might enjoy!

No probs Geo - thanks for letting us know mate.

Four ball is fine - make things a little easier in general as well. Means we can go for an earlier tee time (join my Sat school), or hold back and do something a bit later.

Stu - Any update on the dog sitter situation. There's a couple of wee bars I Chelmsford that I think you might enjoy!

As you know Gents - seldom am I adverse to a round of golf or indeed a medicinal pint or two - however, on this occasion I will have to pass. I would need to walk the hound, drive 2 hours (or more if I hit traffic), batter a white ball around a golf course, take on some fuel, drive 2 hours and then walk the hound again...all these activities within the hours of daylight: a scarce commodity in November.

So - it is with regret that I will have to pass on the golf/the beer and the curry this time. Sorry - I was hoping to get a dogsitter - but it is just not going to happen this time... :sad::sad:

No problem Stu - these things happen.

With this being the case lads I suggest we go for joining my Saturday school with tee times around 8.40am on the Saturday morning. We can then grab a bite to eat and have a few beers in the afternoon to finish it off.

Sort some more details out around nearer the time, but if we aim to meet around 8am ish up the golf club we can do some intros to the group and be out on the tee in plenty of time.

That sounds good to me, just hope the weather warnings for snow in November are wrong...

Doc how did you get on with the Hex Chrome balls?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Doc how did you get on with the Hex Chrome balls?

See said post - HERE

Short version - added to my sig

See said post - HERE

Short version - added to my sig

Nice one Doc! It's the best ball I have ever played and that's after gaming Pro V's for many years!

Nice one Doc! It's the best ball I have ever played and that's after gaming Pro V's for many years!

With any luck, by the time we get to the summer event next year, I will be popping my 3W Hex Chrome a looooong way past your tee shot despite you getting your driver back on track.....either that or I find myself a friendly driver that is an absolute bomb off the tee :alien:

Just a little bump on this one Mav, is everything still planned for meeting up about 8am?

Yeah we are all good mate.

I have pre-warned the school I have two or three guests coming along on the 2nd Nov, so we will have no problems getting out.

Once the golf is done we can take our time over a few beers and some food in the clubhouse, missus has said she fine as long as I'm home by 6ish when we are supposed to be taking the little man out to a fireworks show.

The club is easy enough to find, but the postal address is,

Stow Road
Cold Norton
Purleigh
Essex
CM3 6RR

First tee time is 8.42, so if we meet around 8am in the main bar area we can go from there.

Cheers

Mav

Back