Does anyone roll a seriously old school putter?

cjroman

Club Hoing Ain't Easy
Reaction score
Handicap
Feelings
I have a very early Ping Anser (85020 with the slot and white alignment mark) that I purchased as just the head and re-shafted with a basic TT non stepped shaft and the classic Ping Man grip. I did this because my first putter when starting the game in 1983 (I was 12) was an original Anser hand me down and I wanted to recapture some of my youth:D

This thing is absolutely spot on. The feel is great and of course the sound.

It is finding it's way into my bag on more and more occasions over my other putters. I have tried numerous putters over the years and have always found the classic Anser to be someting I always am coming back to. I don't know if all the hype of milled faces, inserts and big grips really works or is it just clever marketing?

Am I the golf version of a luddite?

i gamed my dad's first putter, an original ping anser karsten, for the longest time.. pretty sweet stick, but no match for the scotty.

I have my grandpas old putter. He gave it to me when i was a kid. Im 39 now. I used it exclusively till last year. Its a northwestern. Not sure what model or year but im sure its older than i am. I bought a new one only because i wanted to retire my northwestern and hang on to it. I wish i still used it. All new putters are so heavy compared to it and i cant find anything that feels right after 20 some odd years of using a super light putter.
dapyna5u.jpg

una2a6ud.jpg

aryva9uv.jpg

sy9areme.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I have my grandpas old putter. He gave it to me when i was a kid. Im 39 now. I used it exclusively till last year. Its a northwestern. Not sure what model or year but im sure its older than i am. I bought a new one only because i wanted to retire my northwestern and hang on to it. I wish i still used it. All new putters are so heavy compared to it and i cant find anything that feels right after 20 some odd years of using a super light putter.
So put it back in play!

So put it back in play!

Im considering it. I went to a cleveland classic 4. I had a tough time getting a feel for it but i just cut it down to 32" and put a super stroke grip on it and it feels a lot better. Im gonna gove it a chance but its on a short leash.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I game a Ping A-1 about 5 times a year.

My dad is still using the same putter as he was when he got it for his 12th birthday in 1972. He got a Ben Hogan 1415 Putter. I will take a few pictures and post them and direct him to this thread. It has a sound like you have never heard.

I have an old Bullseyes with a sight dot in the garage some where. I dig it out when I need to go back to basics. It was the 1st putter I learned on. I use to play with it around the house when I was a kid (think early 70's).

My step father still uses his first Scotty. He has bought a few putters over the years but always sells them and goes back to Ol' Faithful.

2-260387.jpg

I gamed an olde Ping Zing putter until this year.

I golfed with a guy the other day who had this monster of a blade putter. Can't remember what brand it was, but he said Nicklaus won some of his majors with it. The blade was so big it looked like you could hit at least 4 balls at the same time, and tall enough to not see the ball if looking from behind.

I game a Ping A-1 about 5 times a year.

I used a Ping A-1 for about 38 years. Birthday gift for my 10th year. Used it until I got my SeeMore.

Does anyone roll a seriously old school putter?

I've bought quite a few oldschool Mizuno putters off of Ebay. I always felt like I was missing out with an old putter because putters today have so much technology that improves the feel, forgiveness and put a truer roll on the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I have an old putter in my staff bag at work that I'll pull out and roll a few balls with from time to time, but I don't, nor have I ever, used it on the course.

I have an old Nicklaus Muirfield "napa" style putter that I game once in a while. Years ago I put an Iomic midsize putter grip on it which feels very comfortable. Last time I used it however, I found it way too light to control, especially compared with my current putter (cut down ping pick-em-up belly putter - now 37" - with superstroke grip). It does feel good though, and looks great.

Still roll this one once in a while. Still puts a good roll on the ball, I just want to refinish it as the powder coat is wearing off.

24IncWCo81YagQnV3leKgodgaLHeHx4zlvgJHn08lx4=w800-h614-no

I golfed with a guy the other day who had this monster of a blade putter. Can't remember what brand it was, but he said Nicklaus won some of his majors with it. The blade was so big it looked like you could hit at least 4 balls at the same time, and tall enough to not see the ball if looking from behind.

A buddy of mine has one of those same putters. We always called it the war weapon putter because it was so huge. It never failed that he would always make a few longs putts with it anytime we played.
Several years ago, I came across one in a second hand store and I still kick myself for not buying, just because of what a great conversation piece it is.

I often game a 40 year old MacGregor Ironmaster putter from time to time, and a couple of times a year I'll game my 1967 Dalehead Ping Anser.

It's not as old as any of these, but I was playing a teardrop TD16 that I bought in college around 1997 until I replaced it about a month ago. I've replaced it a couple other times over the years, I think it will stay out this time.

I still have the Ping B-60 putter I used in high school (late 80's) but I haven't gamed it in a long, long time. A few weeks back I played in our club's Saturday gangsome with an old guy (late 70s) who was playing an old Spalding putter. It looked like the one Bobby Jones played.

Still Rollin' it with my Cleveland Classics Corey Pavin Centennial US Open Winner heel shafted blade (8802 style)

My mom gave me an Otey Crisman 51H last night. Pretty cool putter with a hickory shaft. Looks like it's from the late 40's or 50's.

1_465f37d5b4af82a423fd3601fa3553b3.jpg

I see a lot of people still gaming the old Ping putters. They're classic designs that still perform today.

My father-in-law plays with an old copper blade that looks like it could have come from Putt Putt. I've used it and it rolls the ball great.

I personally think the best putters are people who have one putter and stick with it for years and years. Putting is about feel, trust in distance control and confidence more than anything else. An old putter that someone has used for thousands of reps is going to be better (IMHO) than the newest putter that they're just getting used to.

my son told me about this topic, I need to get him some pics so he can post them here, on my 12th birthday in 1972 my dad told me to try the putters from the pro shop on the practice green, I liked the ben Hogan model 1415, has an open slot and makes a nice "pink" sound when hit on the sweet spot, it is the only putter I have used since 1972!!!!! used it when I was scratch and still use as an 8 handicap today. I have only had one new grip put on it, last year I had a ping ghost grip installed on it. it will be past down to my son {six4three5} although has gone through about 4 putters in last 2 years , lol

Back