How Much does cold weather....

The cold really does effect the distance. Both the club and ball have less elasticity and bend which leads to shorter distances. The air brings it down a bit quicker as well. I try to keep balls in my pocket with a hot hands during our winter rounds. Hurts a tiny bit less on stingers for me.

The cold really does effect the distance. Both the club and ball have less elasticity and bend which leads to shorter distances. The air brings it down a bit quicker as well. I try to keep balls in my pocket with a hot hands during our winter rounds. Hurts a tiny bit less on stingers for me.
Time will tell but I think I've resolved that issue this year. I replaced the PX Rifles in my winter set with Aerotech's.
I used the B330RXS last year as my winter ball. Since it isn't offered in yellow it seems like a good time as any to try the Lady Precepts everyone was talking about earlier this year.

Hard for me to tell because I rarely play once it gets south of 55/60 degrees! :beauty:

How Much does cold weather....

Yesterday was the first time I have ever played golf under 70* and I felt robbed every time I hit the ball. My drives are normally in the 265-285 range and I was barely getting 240. Granted it was only 35 when we started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Pro tip:

Keep your clubs and balls inside the night before you plan on playing a cold weather round.

Significantly, for sure. I usually add one club if it's below 60, 2 if its below 40.

I'm right there with you. It was 53 today and I was only hitting my 7i about 175 compared to 185 last week in 75 degrees.

Hi. In the golf world of Titleist, the golf ball is design to compress completely at 70-75 degrees minimum temp.
I use an 80 compression ball when the temp drops to 55 degrees and still have to club up 2 clubs.
I just put a space heater in my cart, and the drive fast to hit my next shot before the ball cools off.

I play terrible in cold weather. Cold air is more dense so the ball doesn't fly as far. But it's not just the temperature that attributes to distance loss. Typically with colder weather you have more moisture so you get very little roll. Wearing added layers restricts the swing. With lower temps the body starts to tighten up to stay warm (so basically every swing you make on a cold day is like your first shot of the day when you haven't loosened up yet).

Quoted for truth!

I loose a club at least. time to switch over to a softer ball as well.

Its always a big difference from my experience. In general its about club but of course it also depends where in the club selection we are. While on a given day I may only lose less than a club with a pw but that can turn into two clubs or more difference with the 4iron. The longer the club, the more the affect. The driver of course being the longest suffers the most loss.

I gave this thought alot of attention last winter as i played some. A good well hit drive for me is 260 to 280 but in the cold (lets say 50's) those same well hit shots are only 250 to 260 or if its in the 40's they can be only 230's to 250. Thats 20 to 30 yards or more off my driver depending on just how cold it is.

And as others mentioned I think also its affected by just how tight we are. Weather its clothing and/or just simply not being loose enough the swingspeed suffers. Then also its usually wet or damp fairways too and then factor in wind as well which always only seems to blow in your face even if you turn around .lol. Low swingspeeds, wind, cold air, wet fairways, so it all just gets uglyer distance wise and just about everywhere else including no greenery. then its just time to break out the skii's and do something else :)

i played yesterday in Wisconsin and the temp was 52 degrees. WE saw a huge drop off in distance no matter what ball. Usually i hit my 7 iron 150 yards but yesterday i was lucky to hit it 130. Drives were shorter too. I am new to the game but the others in the group said the cold weather has a big effect. At first i thought it was my new clubs (g25) and was disappointed.

At least a club to a club and 1/2 when the temp drops below 40, 2+ clubs at 30° or below (and, yes I played in those temps last winter). It's a combination of the ball losing compression, and the snowsuit you have to wear restricting movement.

I honestly don't remember having to club up when I played on the crisp cold mornings of winter back in England. I do however remember the mishit shots that sent painful vibrations up my freezing cold hands, something I hopefully won't have to worry about any more now I'm in CA.

I use the old trick of keeping a ball in my pocket so that it stays warm. I can't say that I notice much of a distance loss and Izvestia played in temps as cold as the mid 20s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I honestly don't remember having to club up when I played on the crisp cold mornings of winter back in England. I do however remember the mishit shots that sent painful vibrations up my freezing cold hands, something I hopefully won't have to worry about any more now I'm in CA.
Nothing to worry about. Here in Cali, there is only enough chill in the air to keep your wine at just the right temperature. :D

I always keep a ball warming in my pocket and swap it every two holes.

keeping a warm ball is pretty important. So you can carry one or two in your pocket to get your body heat.

My normal ball feels like a rock in the cold.

Both the club and ball have less elasticity and bend. I try to keep balls in my pocket with a hot hands. Hurts a tiny bit less.

Keep your clubs and balls inside.

I just put a space heater in my cart, and the drive fast to hit my next shot before the ball cools off.

I use the old trick of keeping a ball in my pocket so that it stays warm.

Well, there we have it, Its unanimous! We cant golf with cold balls.

Sorry if offensive to anyone but I just couldn't resist some friendly humor :)

Cold weather golf is miserable. When it drops below 70* it's nearly unbearable on the course.

Throw some hand warmers in your ball pocket and switch out every other hole. I also insulate the pocket with a towel. Seems to work ok.

Skimmed. Just saw I was late to the party.

In italy we get cold weather and soggy conditions around autumn (now) and I say I lose about a club worth of distance, plus a lot from drives.

Tapping from my IPhone

Back