Central NJ, Eastern PA & Surrounding Area Chat

A wild beard appears...

Sorry guys, I've been pretty busy, sick, dead, etc. Thanks for the concern and well wishes. Really since the middle of September golf has been non existent for me. All I wanted to do was play on my b day but I never made it out because I ended up with the flu the day Fireitup, Jlukes and I were suppose to play. Joe asked me to play a few times but I couldn't and then I tried to play with Buck two or so weeks ago. Drove up to the Poconos to play 36 but had to leave after one round because my back hurt, wasn't even worth it because I couldn't hit the ball off the ground, seriously I was hitting five foot dribblers into the brush with my driver.

A week or so went by and I wanted to play some bball so I was at the gym, was feeling great and before the final two baskets of the last game of the day I went up for a rebound and pulled my back. It took me 15 minutes to walk out of the gym after laying on the ground for 30 minutes. I could barely turn the steering wheel of the car and spent the rest of that day laying on the floor, didn't leave the house for three days. I am still sore but back to lighter activity.

In the meantime, I've been trying to start my own business. I am so sick of waiting to hear from people, applying for dead end jobs and all that. I've been into cars for a long time and I've been into detailing as a hobby/side money for a while but I am trying to make it more of a career so I've been spending a lot of time with that. Anyway, I've detailed a few cars, built a website, resealed my garage, organized my garage, been spending time trying to get onto all the local yellow pages type stuff. The hardest part is building the business since a lot of it, especially in the auto world, is word of mouth. So that is what I am doing right now and why I have been absent. Anyway, my website is www.modetailing.com Let me know what you guys think, suggestions or edits I can make.

It really kills me not get to play golf with you guys, since I really don't have many friends in the area anymore, its been an up and down season but I never thought I would see the day that I hit multiple rounds in the 70's and beat Buck.

Awesome website dude! Last time we played you were talking about how you used to detail and I was thinking to myself why not get back into it? Good stuff man. If you have a park and ride around you I would try giving them a call. The train station I go to has a detail service that is not part of the lot. You drop the keys off in the morning and when you get back from work your car is waiting for you all done. They also do oil changes for a little extra. Not sure exactly how it works but I could find out for you when I go back to work on Weds.

Is it warm there?!?!?!

Its perfect down here right now.

If you have a park and ride around you I would try giving them a call. The train station I go to has a detail service that is not part of the lot.

Try offering service at office buildings too. I used to use one once. They come, get your keys and do the work onsite. Was very convenient.

Also, try to get in with local dealers. You have to get in the door cheap, but that can lead yo a lot if volume and you can still make money at low price if you're at the dealer song several in a day.

Anyway, best of luck.

Thanks guys.

I've considered the mobile route and I don't think its really a viable option for several reasons. First, my definition of detailing is different than what a lot of people are looking for. I can't just bang out cars, its not my thing, I am a perfectionist. I cleaned my girlfriends car yesterday for example, her dad works with cars, paints them fixes them, etc and said it looked great. I thought I honestly did a ****** job, just wasn't happy with it. Ultimately I am working toward a hybrid plan which combines light volume with a niche market. IE, I can detail two cars in one day but then spend a weekend working on one car for $500+.

Second the cost to set up for mobile is not cost effective for me at the moment, I would have to invest in some sort of van like a Nissan NV series or Ford Transit. Even used with all the equipment I am looking at $10,000, in my eyes it is not worth it when I have a garage setup.

Third, working mobile can be a pain because you cannot control the conditions you work in. I have three clean garage bays and shade which are super important. If you don't detail in the shade/garage there is no way to do an adequate job, at least in my eyes. This is mainly because if the surface of your car gets hot products bake onto it or water dries to quickly and this leaves water spotting which can actually etch into your clear coat and look terrible. Read most any product that I use and it says use on a cool, dry surface out of direct sun. Again, this is not every mobile setup, generally its the cheaper ones. There are plenty of pros that do onsite detailing with prices starting at $1200+ So I am not putting down mobile detailing.

I've gone to peoples houses before and I make exceptions but more often than not its more hassle than its worth. If someone had several cars, a nice clean garage space and everything else accessible I am happy to do it there. I can however and am able to provide pickup and drop off of both cars and clients which is much more manageable. Like I said, I take a lot of pride in my work, its something I've worked on for a long time and I am passionate about. If I wanted to crank out cars I could go work at one of the two dealers five minutes from my house for flat rate but I can't do it because I know how dealers operate and it's generally inflicting more harm than good, mainly to the cars paint.

A wild beard appears...

Sorry guys, I've been pretty busy, sick, dead, etc. Thanks for the concern and well wishes. Really since the middle of September golf has been non existent for me. All I wanted to do was play on my b day but I never made it out because I ended up with the flu the day Fireitup, Jlukes and I were suppose to play. Joe asked me to play a few times but I couldn't and then I tried to play with Buck two or so weeks ago. Drove up to the Poconos to play 36 but had to leave after one round because my back hurt, wasn't even worth it because I couldn't hit the ball off the ground, seriously I was hitting five foot dribblers into the brush with my driver.

A week or so went by and I wanted to play some bball so I was at the gym, was feeling great and before the final two baskets of the last game of the day I went up for a rebound and pulled my back. It took me 15 minutes to walk out of the gym after laying on the ground for 30 minutes. I could barely turn the steering wheel of the car and spent the rest of that day laying on the floor, didn't leave the house for three days. I am still sore but back to lighter activity.

In the meantime, I've been trying to start my own business. I am so sick of waiting to hear from people, applying for dead end jobs and all that. I've been into cars for a long time and I've been into detailing as a hobby/side money for a while but I am trying to make it more of a career so I've been spending a lot of time with that. Anyway, I've detailed a few cars, built a website, resealed my garage, organized my garage, been spending time trying to get onto all the local yellow pages type stuff. The hardest part is building the business since a lot of it, especially in the auto world, is word of mouth. So that is what I am doing right now and why I have been absent. Anyway, my website is www.modetailing.com Let me know what you guys think, suggestions or edits I can make.

It really kills me not get to play golf with you guys, since I really don't have many friends in the area anymore, its been an up and down season but I never thought I would see the day that I hit multiple rounds in the 70's and beat Buck.

Nice website Mitch. Glad to hear you are feeling better. Good luck with the new business venture.

Up for something more halfway if it's early enough. Nothing after 10 though.

How about Royce Brook or Neshanic Valley?

Either would be nice. Anything around 830 would be ideal

Sounds good. I have never played Royce Brook but I hear it's nice. If we play there maybe Mitch won't feel so bad.

Anyone else interested in playing Royce Brook on Sunday around 8 am?

Anyone potentially up for a round next Sunday morning?

Let me see if I can get away with it. Might be able to since my wife is going to a wedding on Saturday and sticking me with both kids for the night. I'll let you know tomorrow afternoon.

Let me see if I can get away with it. Might be able to since my wife is going to a wedding on Saturday and sticking me with both kids for the night. I'll let you know tomorrow afternoon.

Awesome! Any other takers? I grabbed 8:20 on Sunday for four.

What date joe?

Sunday, 820, Royce Brook with me and Fireitup

What is the rate? Mother in law is coming down on Sunday. Would love to be out of the house...haha

What is the rate? Mother in law is coming down on Sunday. Would love to be out of the house...haha
Can she give me a ride from Latham? Hahahha

It's a little pricey, I believe just under $90 with a cart, but it's a fantastic track
http://www.roycebrook.com/Hillsborough-New-Jersey-Play-Golf.html

The East Course, open to both the public and members of the Club, is rated “Four Stars” by Golf Digest's Places to Play, and is rated as one of GolfWeek's "Top 10 Golf Courses" among public courses in the state of New Jersey. Featuring a 6,946-yard, par 72, parkland-style layout, the course's wetlands and wild native grasses intertwine with abundant wooded areas, traditional shallow bunkers, and wide fairways.

5-East_jpg_5219_thumb640x400.jpg

It's a little pricey, I believe just under $90 with a cart, but it's a fantastic track
http://www.roycebrook.com/Hillsborough-New-Jersey-Play-Golf.html

The East Course, open to both the public and members of the Club, is rated “Four Stars” by Golf Digest's Places to Play, and is rated as one of GolfWeek's "Top 10 Golf Courses" among public courses in the state of New Jersey. Featuring a 6,946-yard, par 72, parkland-style layout, the course's wetlands and wild native grasses intertwine with abundant wooded areas, traditional shallow bunkers, and wide fairways.

5-East_jpg_5219_thumb640x400.jpg

I know its a really nice course, dont think I can swing the $90 right now. Have fun fellas.

Back