Bunker Preference

Soft and fluffy. Damp and hard is only good when you get a good lie, if its buried to any degree in the hard damp stuff and you need to stop it at all, good luck with that shot.

Let us assume for a second that you were able to decide what bunkers would be at your home course based on your personal preference. This is pertaining to green side bunkers only.

Do you prefer soft and fluffy or damp and hard?

How about coarse grained and dry? That is what I prefer in general, I guess from a lifetime of playing public courses.. Soft and fluffy are quite difficult. Wet sand isn't that hard to deal with.

Definitely damp for me. Dhill and Chunky watched me perform out of soft fluffy bunkers and it was comical to say the least.

I've seen it in person. He's really good at it too lol.

As long as I don't get stupid and try it with the fluffy sand! You'll leave it in the trap nearly every time!

I'll take hard packed sand. One, no sunny-side-up lie. Two, that's not a huge departure from everything 20 yards off the fairway for my home course. So I've had a lot of practice hitting shots like that.

EDIT: Green-side bunkers only? Then not quite so hard. Have to feel like I could get the club in without breaking my wrist, at least.

Soft and fluffy I find a lot more predictable.

Really depends on where the pin is and what I am going to need to do with the golf ball. If I need it to stop quick then I like the firm/wet sand. If I need it to roll out then I like the fluffy/airy sand.

I hit well out of sot and fluffy as opposed to hard and damp. I tend to thin those out or do some pretty bad shots.

Damp/hard. Might as well pick what I'm used to. Soft/fluffy sounds nice, but I never really see it.

Damp and Hard, I don't know why, I'm just more comfortable with that shot. Fluffy sand and I'm always hitting it fat.

I hate bunkers, they can give me such a big number UGH!!!!! Come to think of it though, I got out of every one of them on the first try yesterday (three sand shots). The sand wad damp and heavy, so I will go with that!

Neither...Gawd, how I hate bunkers!!! If I have to choose though, it would be hard and damp. I can usually pick my way out after a couple attempts.

Got to say that I like firm and slightly damp. Ball seems to come out cleaner, has more action on it and its a little easier to carry farther if need me. And its get through a little cleaner when you get that nice thump.

Soft and fluffy, all day, let me splash it out.

However, I would just love consistency. The courses I play the sand varies from course to course so much that it takes a bit to adjust.

This. Couldn't agree more!

Soft and fluffy. But as others have said as well, as long as they're consistent, I can deal with it. I'm usually just trying to get out of the bunker anyways. When I try to put it close, it usually turns out pretty bad.

Soft and fluffy splash away. I find I'm far more consistent out of it.

At my home course, hard and wet.

Soft and fluffy. Shimmy( think thats what its called) my feet down aways. Swing and see and feel the blast...just no wind blowing back please :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Soft and fluffy! Overall though, I'd like something predictable.

Round here it is very inconsistent, but from all of the different types I have come across I would have to say I prefer soft and fluffy sand

I just have no preference. I can't even say I wish they were consistent or predictable...because my swing and how I approach bunker shots isn't. If I had to lean one way or another, I'd say soft and fluffy....I guess.

I'd say somewhere in the middle. Soft, but not so finely grained it feels like powder. More importantly though, I like bunkers that are deep (with sand). Nothing worse than rebounding a wedge off of hard pan half an inch under the surface. Consistent from bunker to bunker is big too.

Well I prefer to not go in the sand in the first place.

But if I were to choose I would want damp heavy sand. Sometimes that fluffy stuff is too fluffy and it's difficult to get the ball out.

Back