Suggestions for smart, not sporty, tops please.

JoeyJoeJo

Reaction score
Moving house and had a review of the wardrobe to see what can go/what needs replaced and I've decided I'd like a few more polos for golf that are smart rather than sporty, that could be worn "out" as well.

I have Nike and Adidas but to me they are more on the sporty side but I'd like something a bit smarter that I could wear out to non golf things.
I wouldn't really wear Nike or Adidas to the office or if I was going out for a casual meal/drink.

Kartel have some really nice stuff but the top G-Mac range is pretty pricey so any suggestions for mid range brands in that sort of style that fit the bill....?

I bought a few Greg Norman performance shirts this year, and I think they are great. Very classic look to them, and I often wear them when I'm not on the course, which I don't do with the sportier golf shirts that I have.

They are moisture wicking and light, but they are still a very nice shirt. Not the plasticky feel that I sometimes get with moisture wicking stuff.

If you're looking at GMAC, make sure you go with the blends. The 100% synthetics are not my favorite. Very sheer. The blended shirts are fantastic though. Regular Kartel is another one I don't love. Fabric is a little harsh and the collar is too rounded for my tastes.

I think Polo Golf, Cutter and Buck, and IZOD have some offerings that might be what you're looking for. Another one I reviewed and enjoyed quite a bit is Tomi OTee.

This might be out of turn, but what would you class as a 'sportier' top? Personal ideas will vary from person to person so maybe some examples of what you would or wouldn't want to choose might help some suggestions?

I have a couple of tops that I would wear to go out for a drink as they are relatively plain with a coloured panel down each side but don't scream golf unless you recognised the little logo on them

Moving house and had a review of the wardrobe to see what can go/what needs replaced and I've decided I'd like a few more polos for golf that are smart rather than sporty, that could be worn "out" as well.

I have Nike and Adidas but to me they are more on the sporty side but I'd like something a bit smarter that I could wear out to non golf things.
I wouldn't really wear Nike or Adidas to the office or if I was going out for a casual meal/drink.

Kartel have some really nice stuff but the top G-Mac range is pretty pricey so any suggestions for mid range brands in that sort of style that fit the bill....?

I'm wearing a Polo Golf shirt right now as I'm headed to a work meeting. Many of their golf shirts can work on course and off course. They won't be the lightest shirts in the world so they are not great for very warm temperatures, but you're in Scotland, so that shouldn't be a problem, right? ;-)

I usually search on the Polo Ralph Lauren website in the sale section to get the golf shirts. I bought 4 last year, none were over $35 with the sales.

Thanks guys.

I do like Polo, budget being the issue there. Some of the RLX is particularly smart as worn by Luke Donald.

I prefer a blend or pure cotton, I don't know what it is but when I wear tech type for more than 5 hours, they get a bit stinky, not something that happens with cotton, must be something weird in my chemistry!

And no, temp is not a problem ary!

Here's a couple of tops that I have that I think are too sporty for work/out...
(I didn't take these specially, had them already form other threads!)

adidastop.jpg
niketop1.jpg

The nike has hardly anything to to make it "sporty", just the shoulder flashes but there's just something to my eye and I'd feel self concious wearing that to the office or out for a curry. Love it for golf though!

So it's likely something plain or simple pattern, classic/classy.

The Greg Norman looks a good shout, I was some on ebay the other week so will have a closer look.

I love lyle & scott gear. Its very smart and really well made, plus i think stylish. Fairwaystyles stock them and you can pick some up really cheap in the sale section. Usually ss13 polos are in the sale section. I have about 6.

I think the Bobby Jones polos are great off the course, Travis Matthew stuff can work out great as well.

I wear mostly Izod polos for work & golf. You usually find shirts that fit both bills at their outlets for cheap. The last time we went, I bought 2 shirts, 2 pair of pants & my wife got some stuff for around $100.
I tend to prefer solid colors as they work best for both needs.

Solid ideas, thanks all.

I had kinda forgotten about Lyle and Scott, sort of in the same bracket as Pringle but could very well fit the bill.

Will have a busy week on google and ebay....

Thanks guys.

I do like Polo, budget being the issue there. Some of the RLX is particularly smart as worn by Luke Donald.

I prefer a blend or pure cotton, I don't know what it is but when I wear tech type for more than 5 hours, they get a bit stinky, not something that happens with cotton, must be something weird in my chemistry!

And no, temp is not a problem ary!

Here's a couple of tops that I have that I think are too sporty for work/out...
(I didn't take these specially, had them already form other threads!)

adidastop.jpg
niketop1.jpg

The nike has hardly anything to to make it "sporty", just the shoulder flashes but there's just something to my eye and I'd feel self concious wearing that to the office or out for a curry. Love it for golf though!

So it's likely something plain or simple pattern, classic/classy.

The Greg Norman looks a good shout, I was some on ebay the other week so will have a closer look.

Mate, you're not alone in finding that synthetic fabric garments get stinky really quickly. I've found that with a ton of brands, although Under Armour for some reason bucks the trend. I'd never buy a Dri-Fit polo or tee again.

Back