ES12 Launch Monitor

Reviving this thread to see if anyone is still using one. I'm thinking about adding one to my garage mat and net set-up just to get some basic distance numbers.

I'll say again that I just don't think it's worth the money. I can groove a nice pull hook that goes a good 10 yards farther than anything else in my arsenal (and 30+ yards to the left), but if I was just getting distance numbers I wouldn't necessarily think there was something wrong with the swing I was putting on the ball. In my opinion, ball speed and distance are fairly useless numbers without some sort of idea of your launch angles and back spin (at a bare minimum).

Maybe if you combine it with one of the swing trainer apps, but even with those I'm a little wishy-washy. My experience with the one I tested did leave a little to be desired in the distance/swing speed category, though I didn't find anything wrong with swing path or club face angles. The two together could make for a decent combination.

I'll say again that I just don't think it's worth the money. I can groove a nice pull hook that goes a good 10 yards farther than anything else in my arsenal (and 30+ yards to the left), but if I was just getting distance numbers I wouldn't necessarily think there was something wrong with the swing I was putting on the ball. In my opinion, ball speed and distance are fairly useless numbers without some sort of idea of your launch angles and back spin (at a bare minimum).

Maybe if you combine it with one of the swing trainer apps, but even with those I'm a little wishy-washy. My experience with the one I tested did leave a little to be desired in the distance/swing speed category, though I didn't find anything wrong with swing path or club face angles. The two together could make for a decent combination.

I have to agree with Hawk on this one. If you are sitting at the house hitting balls and make a small swing change that nets 10 more yards then you be happy and begin to groove that swing just to get on the course and find out that the results are 10yds longer but also in the trees. Distance alone is such a deceptive number, and while I love the idea of an affordable personal launch monitor there are more numbers that need to be considered. If you were serious about getting a launch monitor I would look into picking up a used Vector or something similiar. While it may not be quite as accurate as some of the new Foresights/Trackman, at least you will be able to see more of the picture than just distance.

I don't even understand how it's supposed to work if it's not grabbing spin/launch. I know the website makes a case that they are accurate, but a 1000rpm drop in spin can equal a very big difference in carry numbers.

I don't even understand how it's supposed to work if it's not grabbing spin/launch. I know the website makes a case that they are accurate, but a 1000rpm drop in spin can equal a very big difference in carry numbers.

Someone smarter than me will have to speak on how they work because I dont know, but I know that I have used one next to a trackman and found it to be within a few yards accurate.

I have to agree with Hawk on this one. If you are sitting at the house hitting balls and make a small swing change that nets 10 more yards then you be happy and begin to groove that swing just to get on the course and find out that the results are 10yds longer but also in the trees. Distance alone is such a deceptive number, and while I love the idea of an affordable personal launch monitor there are more numbers that need to be considered. If you were serious about getting a launch monitor I would look into picking up a used Vector or something similiar. While it may not be quite as accurate as some of the new Foresights/Trackman, at least you will be able to see more of the picture than just distance.

I've tracked down a few used VectorXs but they all want $2000 for it. If I knew that the cost/benefit ratio would be worth it, I'd drop the $$ in a second. I just don't know if it will really help me improve.

Someone smarter than me will have to speak on how they work because I dont know, but I know that I have used one next to a trackman and found it to be within a few yards accurate.

Do you input the type of club you're using? If so, I'm guessing they have stock LA's and spin rates to calculate with the ball speeds. Just a guess.

I've tracked down a few used VectorXs but they all want $2000 for it. If I knew that the cost/benefit ratio would be worth it, I'd drop the $$ in a second. I just don't know if it will really help me improve.

I guess the question/answer will come down to what you are using it for.
If its for personal fitting, then I would say go to a demo day, THP event, or store and get the numbers necessary or get fit.
If its for a simulation type of service, then I could see it, but you are going to need far more than just the X model in that instance.

I really think you'd be better off with Optishot or a combo of both the ES12 and a swing app. That's just my opinion though. Ball speed alone just seems like a waste of money to me.

This is hard to say...Could it help you improve, yes, but I say that chasing numbers isnt really the best way to approach the game because of so many differences in swings, balls, etc. I would say take the $2000 (less most likely) and invest in some lessons, buy a hitting mat and chipping net for the backyard and work on the short game, and a putting surface for the house as well and work on putting. Those 3 things will benefit you more than a launch monitor ever will.

Do you input the type of club you're using? If so, I'm guessing they have stock LA's and spin rates to calculate with the ball speeds. Just a guess.

Yes you tell it that you are hitting a 6i and it goes from there. It records all the distances for that club so you are able to have an average which could help with club selection on the course, but as you stated spin rates are just too important and hitting a low trajectory, low spin 6i into a green from 190yds that runs off the back wont help at all!!!

I picked up a ES12 about 6 months ago. In my opinion the only thing that its good for is distance. I would say its pretty accurate but thats honestly its only use.

Only thing I would use it for. I still haven't purchased one, but it would be nice to have on the range with me and get the distance for every shot.

I picked up a ES12 about 6 months ago. In my opinion the only thing that its good for is distance. I would say its pretty accurate but thats honestly its only use.

Only thing I would use it for. I still haven't purchased one, but it would be nice to have on the range with me and get the distance for every shot.

Knowing your distances to within a few yards on average is a good thing to know. For the cash ($250) I could see that being a useful purchase, especially if your on the end of the driving range hitting towards the middle where the signs are. You know those aren't lasered from that angle most of the time.
Outside of that, dropping all that money for numbers you don't know how your getting to in the first place, isn't worth it. Heck, I'm a pretty good player and I look at those numbers and that's all they are, numbers. Sure, I know what they mean, but they don't HELP improve my game, but just tell me where I'm at on a shot.
Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to have a full cage with the projection screen, turf and mats so I can "play a round" in the winter...but I don't have the space or cash to justify that purchase at this point in my life.

Has anyone tested this using two completely different types of irons? For example, the Rocketbladez or Speedblade vs. a more conventional iron? Where you know you hit one iron half a club further. I would want to know if it is good enough to calculate that difference.

Has anyone tested this using two completely different types of irons? For example, the Rocketbladez or Speedblade vs. a more conventional iron? Where you know you hit one iron half a club further. I would want to know if it is good enough to calculate that difference.

I have a set of Rocketbladez as well as a few other sets and I often compare multiple sets side by side using my ES12. For me the Rocketbladez have always been the longest. So yes it is good enough to calculate the difference

If its for a simulation type of service, then I could see it, but you are going to need far more than just the X model in that instance.

Why would I need more than the X model and a laptop with the basic software? I'm just looking to get an idea as to ball flight, launch angle, spin, and speed.

I just want more information than what the 10' into my net is going to tell me. My club fitter/builder as a full on Trackman set-up. Would love to put one of those in my garage, but don't have that kind I coin to throw around.

Flightscope Xi will be $2500 new, when it's released. It does not provide hard launch angle or backspin numbers, however it is actually being measured to calculate your total distance and you can see ballflight.

Knowing how accurate and cool the Flightscope interface is, this may be a viable option second hand. Though you will probably have to wait until next winter to see the price drop.

I want to see more details on the Flightscope Xi. $2500 isn't bad if it will give me useful information thought the winter.

Right now a used Accusport VectorX seems to be the best option without spending a small fortune.

I want to see more details on the Flightscope Xi. $2500 isn't bad if it will give me useful information thought the winter.

Right now a used Accusport VectorX seems to be the best option without spending a small fortune.
Even though it is being measured it will not provide full blown launch numbers because they have to keep the consumer and professional units separate. Thus the vastly cheaper pricing, and limited launch data.

Here's some info someone provided recently when they contacted Flightscope on the unit:
- Built in rechargable battery
- Self leveling
- Flightscope apps, skills challenges
- Carry, total and lateral distances
- Club speed, ball speed and smash factor
- $2500

If you're really interested it's worth contacting them.

Even though it is being measured it will not provide full blown launch numbers because they have to keep the consumer and professional units separate. Thus the vastly cheaper pricing, and limited launch data.

Here's some info someone provided recently when they contacted Flightscope on the unit:
- Built in rechargable battery
- Self leveling
- Flightscope apps, skills challenges
- Carry, total and lateral distances
- Club speed, ball speed and smash factor
- $2500

If you're really interested it's worth contacting them.

It seems that the VectorX gives you more data for just a little more money. Might have to wait until the Xi is actually released before making a decision though.

Why not jus go to your local shop and pay to use theirs? It's $50 around here. That's a LOT of visits before equaling the cost of a new unit.

Why not jus go to your local shop and pay to use theirs? It's $50 around here. That's a LOT of visits before equaling the cost of a new unit.

$125 for an 80 minute session here.

$125 for an 80 minute session here.

Still the route I'd go. Cut it to a 30 minute session. Surely you can see what you need in 5 trips or less.

I only wanted distance numbers, sure having all the other stuff is great, but can't you tell on the range if you are hitting too high, etc? Knowing the flight you want, avg distance to me is all I want. I would think the launch angles, spin rates, etc would be determined when you purchased the clubs you are using. For $175 used to $225 new seems to be a valuable tool if you don't have a range with numerous flags to aim for.

I only wanted distance numbers, sure having all the other stuff is great, but can't you tell on the range if you are hitting too high, etc? Knowing the flight you want, avg distance to me is all I want. I would think the launch angles, spin rates, etc would be determined when you purchased the clubs you are using.

I'm not lookin for fitting reasons. I'm looking for data while swinging off the mat in my garage during the cold Michigan winter.

Back